Old 12-04-18, 10:57 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
That doesn't address my question, however. My question is what's the current reasoning on bar width relative to shoulder width? I've already researched the benefits or reasons why some track racers would choose a more road-like endurance bar over a sprint bar, and I have worked that out already on my own. So, to rephrase, are there any rules of thumb regarding bar width, in light of ergonomics, mechanics, etc? I'm looking for some facts and data here.
K-
The current reasonings for road are antiquated and incorrect, all stemming from the Italians trying to codify bike setups in the 60s. Shoulder width is a bit like kops for setback and bikefit, sort of an easy guide for people but not really worth anything but it's said as gospel.
Also as you've seen people's definitions of shoulder width changes depending on where they measure, I'm about 43-4cm from AC joints and ride very narrow 40cm bars on the road that measure 36.5cm at the hoods and track bars that are 34cm.
I remember reading about the actual width of the shoulder ball in the joint doesn't vary that much between people but its protrusions from that and bone structure around it that make up the majority of variance in people, and that width generally falls between 37.5 and 39cm for that majority of the population +-1SD. It's something I'd like to look into with some of the medical people at uni and delve into a little more.
TLR- imo almost everyone rides bars too wide for them on the road and it's generally trackies that don't.

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Am I alone in thinking that the old chestnut "narrow bars restrict breathing" is no longer applicable? It seems that track positions have gotten much longer, putting hands well in front, so that your arms are in no way beside you, and cannot really be restricting your breathing. Right? Wrong?
You're correct as thats a similarly antique saying, most of the breathing should be done with the stomach on the bike, also narrower bars don't effect the angle of the humerus that much, there just tends to be a slightly more bent elbow.
Originally Posted by carleton
I honestly think that the 33cm Alpinas are the best all around bar available now in terms of fitting, usefulness, and value.

Fitting because it's not super short and shallow. So, you can use it with moderately tall head tubes and don't need 140 or 150mm stems.

Usefulness in that all manner of riders can and have used them with success.

Value in that they are like half the cost of Scattos for all of the above.

No, they don't have an aero profile on the tops, but, it may not matter.
Bang on with this, I sort of like scatto's in that plenty of people have embraced narrower bars because of them but they're very limited in their actual use. The difference for enduros is that they're easier for slings and you can mantis on them. If I were swapping my nittos out they'd be the only things I'd get short of the custom Aus things on the way.