Old 02-21-19, 12:21 PM
Refreshing

Bikes: Dropbar Karate Monkey & Raleigh Revenio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Bikepacking in SD ends with Frost Bite

Apparently no amount of backpacking in sub-zero temperatures can prepare a person for bikepacking in sub-zero temperatures because this trip was hellish for me (if hell froze over). I made the decision to complete a 100 mile overnight trip in -5° weather. I thought it would be easy but I was definitely wrong.

On day one I left the small town of Hartford SD on a snow covered gravel road. By 5pm the sun was down and the gravel roads were getting hilly. It was so cold that most of the batteries on my electronics were dead except for my phone which I snuggled close to my chest to keep it warm. I chose to bike via moonlight because I did not want to waste any light battery that I may have needed in an emergency. As darkness took over I hit a steep low maintenance road that led down into a valley. I don't know how I didn't crash cuz it was covered in ice and snow drifts. I pedalled for two more hours in total darkness.

I made camp in the middle of an open field next to a dead tree. I was mentally destroyed from all the darkness and exposure. I became very stressed that I did not bring enough insulation to keep me warm through the night. When my stove gave nothing more than a faint sputter I decided two make a real fire.

I HATE making real fires because the sparks destroy clothes and smoke stinks. And I was drawing a lot of attention to myself considering I was supposed to be "stealth" camping in an open field.

I slept warm for most of the night although my feet were chilly by morning. Getting out of my sleeping bag was one of the hardest things I've had to do all year. The wind chill felt like it was tearing off my face and I could not pack anything because removing my gloves for even a few seconds made my hands hurt and go numb.

When I finally had camp packed up I threw a leg over my bike and started peddling. Headwinds, headwinds, and more headwinds. I stumbled upon an old abandoned farm house and decided to go on a micro adventure to check it out. Lots of kick-ass antiques and dilapidated walls filled the house. After forcing myself back outside into the wind I realized I would not be able to meet my 100 mile goal and make it home in time for family obligations so I hammered towards home. Those last 20 miles easily make the top 3 hardest rides I have ever pushed through. At one point I just got off my bike and started walking because I was so spent. But then I realized I was only prolonging the pain and hopped back on. When I finally reached home I plopped into a chair and just stared outside like a zombie. I made a video of this adventure and I hope you guys like it:

^^^Video^^^

The next day the skin on my nose was severely discolored at the point where my face mask ended. During the ride my nose hurt quite a lot but I thought it was because my helmet was pushing my glasses downward. I was wrong because the skin is now all wrinkly and starting to peel at one of the edges. I hope that it does not leave a scar because it is directly in the middle of my face!

Last edited by Refreshing; 02-21-19 at 12:28 PM.