Old 02-21-19, 03:28 PM
Refreshing

Bikes: Dropbar Karate Monkey & Raleigh Revenio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Skip the candle. Although I now live down in the tropics of southern Wisconsin <insert chuckle>, I grew up in Minnesota and have winter camped in temps down to minus 36,

Steger and Schurke in their book described how eating a tablespoon of butter would keep you warmer than burning an equivalent amount of fat in a candle or lantern in a tent. I was not sure I spelled their names right so I put their names in google, found this link on their trip. I thought those guys were nuts until I read their book, then I knew that they were nuts.
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...rip-north-pole

Decades ago you could buy good candle lanterns in camp stores, we used them because a good one could put out good light. In the age of incandescent bulbs that burned up a lot of battery, a candle for light made sense. But now with LED headlamps that have good battery life, I have not used my old French candle lantern for decades.

Stove canisters, I carry a small plastic thing that is shaped like a small pan that I can put some warm water in, then set the canister in that. (Warm, not hot, too hot could be dangerous.) That way you can warm up the fuel to get your stove to function better when it is cold. If it is really cold, you might have to occasionally add warmer water to the dish. But really the best option is a liquid fuel stove when it gets that cold. The stoves that use coleman fuel (some call it white gas) are much better when below zero.

I would not go winter camping without a good liquid fuel camp stove. I prefer ones made by Optimus or Primus, but I have friends that prefer MSR. For serious cold weather I would use my Optimus 111B.

I am surprised you did not use ski goggles. I can't ride a bike when it is colder than freezing without googles.
I am gonna be honest with you, I almost always ride with goggles below 10°F but I left them behind because they can get cumbersome with my glasses. 5 miles in I regretted the decision and after that I kind of got used to it until the pain started on day two.

thanks for all of the tips! It makes me wonder if modern equipment isn't always the best solution. I might add that I lived in Minnesota for quite some time myself and my personal record is also near -40°F when a friend and I camped in the cascade valley on top of the frozen river. But that was much easier because we expected it, had proper stoves, and proper insulation.

Are you getting in on the north shore hammock craze??? I feel like all of the campers I know from Minnesota/Wisco have converted to hammocks now.