View Single Post
Old 12-17-13, 09:33 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dramiscram
This morning I needed 1h50 min. to complete my commute. At -28° celcius (-19° f) it was way too cold for a 27.4kms commute. I was dressed the same way I dressed last week for a -22°celcius commute, which went fine. But the 6 celcius difference made a big big difference on the road: my legs froze on the bike,I had to stop and walk 6 times to warm up my legs and I was completely drained by the time I got to work and I felt dizzy for 20-30 minutes.
Everything else was warm, even the feet with my battery heated socks were fine but I was very surprise that my legs froze with the fact that I had 3 layers on.
I got my lesson, no commute below -22 or -23°celcius. Fortunately there's no harm done but I got scared a bit.
Tonight I should have a -13°c temp. so It will be like the month of july but earlier...
I hear ya. I really do not go below 0F. I'm impressed you even attempted it. I tried that once last winter when it was that cold and I never made it. If I had all my snowmobiling gear on, it would have been fine but I would have looked like an astronaut and wouldn't be able to move very well. My commute is way too long for that.