Thread: Diverge 2018
View Single Post
Old 09-02-17, 09:05 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
I would have gone with the Diverge, but I think the competition has caught up. My LBS offers the 2017 Giant Anyroad Comax with composite frame and 105 configuration for $1850. The 2018 should be out soon.
The 2018 looks to be a big upgrade over '17 as far as the Anyroad goes. At least in the carbon model. Better carbon, thru axle, tubeless tires to name three big improvements. Unless they were giving away the '17 comax bike, I think you'd be a bit nuts to not wait for the '18 at this point.

I have done a brief test ride of the new Diverge and of a Comax frame Anyroad. The Diverge was the lowest trim level that offers the future shock. The Diverge felt like the nicer, more premium bike to me, and that is totally subjective. I didn't ride either for long enough to gain a more nuanced or thorough impression of either.

I was surprised at how good the future shock felt, and my impression going into the test ride was that it was gimmicky.

At the same price point, the Diverge was more impressive than the Anyroad to me, and this being an alu Diverge vs. the carbon Anyroad. Not a dramatic difference, though, and I'd be happy to own either.

Two things will probably keep me from buying a Diverge. First is the overly (IMO) low bottom bracket. Second is the small worry about the proprietary future shock. Will it be a fly by night thing that is gone in 5 years, or not? Probably not, but I'm slightly leery of any gizmo tech like this until it becomes more widely adopted over some time.

Last edited by syncro87; 09-02-17 at 09:10 PM.