Old 03-16-17, 12:45 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'd rather have linear pull V-brakes. A couple of friends have converted their older mountain bikes from canti to V-brakes and are satisfied.
I fall into this group as well.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Unfortunately they're (disc brakes) getting harder to avoid, and more and more frames are being deigned around them, so it'll soon reach the point where you might as well have them because not having them poses too many problems.
I know... I have a hard time finding new steel frames with canti posts these days. Just when I discovered how much I like them too.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame is made from unbranded tubing, but based on reviews it matches(beats) the Swiss Cross for frame weight.

So its a steel frame which weighs slightly less than the Swiss Cross, has canti studs, has room for a 50mm tire, and costs less than half of the Swiss Cross frameset.
Wow, had no idea. I just had Mike build me a red 56 and I'm in love this this damn bike. He put TRP CX8.4's on it and now I don't ever want to use another brake.

I have to be a little careful with the front brake as it will stand me up on the front wheel. The rear wheels locks up with a single finger.

As a big guy, I love this stopping power. And without all the downsides of discs. I'm sold. I pulled the canti's off my daughter's Cross Check and put these on hers as well. Stops on a dime now.

Now if I'm just able to find steel canti frames for the rest of my life...

Last edited by Jarrett2; 03-16-17 at 12:48 PM.