Old 09-21-08, 07:59 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by metaljim
here's two more nishiki's....

eidt: so it looks like my nishiki is a 1987 USA model, and the lady's bike is a 1977 USA model? does 1977 sound about right for that Olympic?
While the Tri-A was manufactured in 1987, it is a 1988 model on the basis of the components. The 1987 model used 600EX while the 1988 used Sante. It's not unusual for manufacturers to be building the models for the new year, 3-4 months in advance. After all, they want the bicycles in the stores for the Christmas season and it can take a while to get them from Japan, through the national distribution system and into the LBS.

As for the Olympic 12, I don't think it 1977/1978. Unfortunately, it has been changed so much that we can't use components for reference, However, the 1978 Olympic 12 had chrome fork tips. It also did not have bottle bosses, which yours appears to have. And is that a integral derailleur hanger on the rear dropout? If so, the 1978 literature shows the Olympic 12 with a claw mouted rear derailleur. Finally, the 1978 would typically have badges as opposed to decals on the head tube. Overall, I'd have to say that this model is more representative of the early 1980s. Might the serial number be KCxxxxxx?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by bad wrench
I have a Nishiki frame that does not fit the serial number conventions.

It is an Alan Record Carbino badged as a Nishiki-Alan. The bottom bracket is an Alan casting, so I expect the serial number is an Alan number. The first line reads: 238662, and the second line reads: 3o6CX59. I believe the frame was marketed in 1986, so the '6' in the second set of numbers may be the year. The '59' is my frame size.

Do you know anything about this frame? Was it offered as a complete bike? I purchased mine as an NOS frame, from eBay, still in the original Derby shipping box. It is now built up with a mid to late '80s NOS Superbe Pro group.

I will appreciate anything you, or anyone else, can tell me about the frame.
Well, the reason it doesn't fit any of the serial number formats is because it was made by Alan, not Kawamura or Giant. In the 1980s, there were several uncatalogued, high end models manufactured in Italy with Columbus tubing. These models were apparently developed after Nishiki failed to crack the high end market with Japanese bicycles. Your model was extension of that policy.

As you surmised. it was a 1986 model. It was available as a bare frame for $950 US, or built up with Dura-Ace ($2150) or Super record ($2550). The tubes were made by TVT. Weight for a 56cm frame was 3.10lbs and 1.15 lbs for the fork. It was fairly typical of era carbon frames, having a reputation for a very comfortable ride but being a bit on the flexy side. Nishiki realized this and targeted it at the "smaller, lighter racer or serious endurance cyclist".