In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
What are your fees for new gym members?
They wouldn't be more than what our current gym is charging!!

I love our current gym. I'm really going to miss it. But there's something about the place that puzzles me. It's empty. The pool area is probably busier, but the the gym and evening classes are sparsely populated. They have campaigns a few times throughout the year to try to drum up more interest ... bring a friend days, exciting new programs, open houses, etc. ... and for about a week after the campaign there might be a 2 or 3 new people around, but then they usually disappear. I thought there might be an influx of people for the new year ... new year's resolutioners ... but nope.

So why aren't people interested in working out there? It's a beautiful facility, lots of great equipment, friendly staff ...

My guess is that the problem is the cost. It costs a fortune.

All over this area there are 24-hour cardkey gyms popping up (they are staffed for about 8 hours a day, but members have 24-hour access), and their fees are about 2/3 of our current gym.

IMO, our current gym would do well to drop the fees a little bit, and see if they could get more people in that way.

Meanwhile, for us, we've done the calculations and we can get a good quality treadmill and rowing machine for the cost of 2 years membership. And hopefully we'd still be able to use them for several years after that.