View Single Post
Old 01-03-17, 03:25 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know the count of my bikes. I do have 2 sitting for sale on CL right now. I have a project bike I eventually need to finish and list on CL, and a keeper project I want to finish up. I also want to add a folder to the collection, bc reasons. I have a proflex I keep thinking about stripping down and selling the frame, but they don't really bring in any money. I would like to reduce clutter, but really any money made from selling would go into new purchases - either parts to build up my Schwinn Prologue as a restomod, equal to my carbon bike, or towards a foldie or another vintage bike. Or putting a solid fork on my 29er and doing a drop bar conversion.
Either way, I like having a dedicated commuter. It's old, heavy, and always has fenders, racks, and bags on it. I don't wanna take all that on a group ride with friends. That's a lot of extra stuff to haul around. So I need a road bike as well (in my case, multiple ones - a modern CF, a nice vintage steel, and another nice vintage steel that will be modernized).

I also like to mountain bike, so I have a 29er I'm not very enamored with, a Proflex with a bum fork, and just got an old Stumpy, which I do love riding. I could be happy with just the stumpy here, but I would like to do different things to the 29er. It's bottom of the barrel in Cannondale's lineup for that year, but the frame is pretty darn nice and it has potential. I'll throw my CX bike into this category as well. just an old 1970s bike boom bike converted down to 700c wheels with knobby tires. Single speed.

Then I have my neighborhood/other bikes - one of which is a Raleigh 3 speed I leave at work to run errands or take to lunch, etc. Another is an old Schwinn Suburban I use to take to the neighborhood pool and back, or maybe o pick up Chinese food with. It has zero dollar value, and while it works very well mechanically, I still wouldn't want to donate it. Someone might get tetanus from just looking at it. This one tends to live on the covered front porch. Also in this category is my single speed/fixie hybrid. It fits well in the wife's Honda Fit, has to weigh somewhere around 15 pounds, and it a lot of fun riding around the city. I have it listed for sale, but am in no hurry at all to sell it.

I have some others, but they are trade bait/meant to sell.