Old 02-27-19, 09:34 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Try some Boeshield T-9 instead of making it from scratch. It's paraffin in solvent. Developed by an aerospace company that had plenty of money and expertise to throw into making an effective lube/surface protection material.

Doesn't cost much. Low odor. Work well on chains, derailleurs, wicks quickly down oxidized cables if there isn't time for an overhaul and cable/housing replacement. Leaves very little residue. Chains clean up quickly and easily. I use it to touch up chains between paraffin dips.

Only downside is it doesn't last long per application. Takes about one application per week if I'm riding 3 or more times a week. Pretty much the same as most dry or paraffin in solvent type lubes, according to most user reports.

In comparison Park CL-1 usually lasts all winter on my hybrid. But CL-1, like most wet lubes, attracts a lot of black gunky debris that can't be easily cleaned just wiping the chain. The chain with Boeshield T-9 wipes cleanly pretty easily. Not as clean as dry paraffin, but not bad either.

I have tried most of the lubes over the years and have settled on Boeshield. Like you said doesn't last that long but that is relative. About every third ride I spritz the chain then run it through a rag, easy peasy. Isn't a dirt magnet like some of the others, stays pretty clean. I knew it was developed by an aerospace company but didn't know it was paraffin in a solvent. That explains why it is not a dirt magnet