Old 06-14-19, 03:36 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
LBS tube quality?

So this year I have ridden about 475 miles before experiencing my first flat (700X40 Clement gravel bike tires). Yep, Im a Clyde too.

Being lazy and always wanting to check out the latest shiny gravel bikes and such I took the bike to the LBS.

They repaired the flat.

The next day I took the bike out on the local MUP. I made it exactly 3.1 miles before having another flat, it was a rapid failure.

Took the bike back to the LBS. They showed me that the square patch of rubber where the valve stem area ties into the main tube had split. They fixed the flat again.

I left the bike in the garage all week. Went out to load it up for an evening ride a bit ago and the same tire was yet again flat.

Took it back to the bike shop for the third time and the mechanic said the same thing happened again. The little square area of rubber split.

So Im wondering if my LBS is buying a cheap brand of tubes in bulk or what?. I'll plan on fixing the flat myself next time as I think they are tired of looking at me. Or maybe I should just go tubeless?

Any thoughts are appreciated.