View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 01:21 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
On the off topic race together, it is happening now. Just all the same gender - now.

I noticed the Nationals at Haggerstown races, there were Cat 1 men's, U23 Pro/1 but no women's fields.
In Knoxville, the 3 categories of women race together - Cat 1, pro, U23 - same race, one race. Note the top U23 and top pro could be the same. Wonder what then.

Likely the fastest female in the country is not allowed as she is not over 18.
The race together thing is already happening and at the highest USA level:
"The top U23 Woman (WU) from each event will be recognized as the U23 National Champion. A separate podium ceremony for the top-three U23 woman will be conducted with the overall women’s awards ceremony each day."
The above has no money, but the race together idea is a logical and IMO fair next step when fields are small.
In local pro crits a Cat 2 junior female has a lot more money winning opportunity than a cat 2 junior male. A junior cat 2 can race for the $10K purse at DPGP for women. And the girl referenced above won. The junior male cat 2 may not enter the top prize race.

Today I was entering my kid in the CO state ITT championship (he won crit Sun) and noticed the $1,000 for 11 riders so far. Pretty good odds - pay $90/rider on $40/rider entry
The women also had a $1,000 purse too. As of now, 4 riders. Pay $250/rider on $40/rider entry

Obviously the promoter who made most money from entry fees as many of the locals do, would not have a good business model. One model is clearly worse and needs to take funding from other sources. Add the whole cost of holding a course open and it is clear why USAC is doing this.