View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 04:18 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Since you say 135mm I assume you are talking about a cyclocross or touring or hybrid road bike.

Chris King pricing is steep, but you could look at White Industries to save a little or Hope to save even more.

If if you are considering 10 speed for your maximum # of cassette cogs, I think that there are lots of really affordable mountain bike hubs that are very high quality that will meet your requirements.

I built up a wheelset using an inexpensive NOS WTB Momentum Greaseguard hub set that I think I only paid no more than $45 for the hub set. I paired them with HED Belgium + rims and the result is really nice.

Also, Shimano XTR hubs can’t be beat. XTR M900 hubs can be found used affordably and have a build quality such that they will last a lifetime if well cared for. I can’t remember the exact XTR or Deore XT hub model numbers that come in 135mm (non-disc) but they are out there but becoming scarce in NOS.

If going with 11 speed and new, I think I would seriously look at the Hope Hubs. The decent pricing and the drilling and anodized color options would make it a lot of fun spec-ing a custom 135mm rim brake wheel build.

Last edited by masi61; 10-23-19 at 11:03 AM.