Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't just "claim" it, here's proof:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...g#.XO0zr25OlPA

Prior to 2016, Shimano used to be absurdly overpriced in the US when compared to Europe. It's still higher but not the ~40% premium we used to pay buying domestically. Prior to 2016, the pricing was so comparatively low in Europe that QBP's wholesale prices to US bike shops for Shimano gear were actually higher than just going online and buying from Wiggle or whoever. My bike shop would just tell me to go online for Shimano stuff. Shimano was trying to fix this issue and part of this is clearly Shimano throwing a bone to their dealers.

Note that SRAM has, if anything, even more restrictive pricing practices.

There are legitimate reasons why companies set different prices regionally: higher distribution costs, higher import duties, higher regulatory overhead etc. I'm not defending Shimano here, just saying that this is hardly "illegal". This happens in every industry, in fact the US is generally cheaper than everywhere else usually. Ever see what British people pay for cars, electronics and clothing? Yikes.
Thanks for the link. Looks like dealers were left holding the bag on then current inventory. And Shimano’s “we don’t talk about pricing” attitude doesn’t help dealers feel very warm and fuzzy either. The whole thing is a mess. My only consolation is that I don’t have much need anymore for new, retail purchase items. I liked Shimano’s cheaper dyno hubs for wheel building across the fleet. If I can’t get what I want domestically I’ll just go with Shutter Precision. The one I have now is working well and the difference in price isn’t enough to derail future builds.

-Kedosto