Old 03-14-19, 11:29 AM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The 520+ comes with two maps: a world basemap with little detail and a detailed "Garmin Cycle" map. Disabling the basemap won't do anything. Disabling the detailed map might make the map screen updates faster (but nothing else).

On the 800, the "location at next" only displayed the next calculated turn (from "turn guidance"). I suspect that might be true for any units that use maps. (I'll have to check the 1030...)

I suspect the "Location at Next" will never work (that thread was from 4 years ago).

=========================

The 520+ uses maps. The 520 just displays them.

The 520 (not the +) seems to be a bit of an odd beast. It has some "use map" features but they don't seem to do anything. It's seems more like a hobbled 520+ rather than an upgrade of the 500. That is, the 520 appears to have been developed from the code branch for the units that use maps. If that's the case, looking at the 500 to understand how the 520/520+ works might not be completely helpful.

Keep in mind that the 520 and 520+ are different.
Thanks again for the helpful distinction. So according to your post, then even though I'm disabling maps, my 520+ unit will always use them in the background?

In this case, my next test will be:

Disabling base map / detailed map
Turn Guidance ON
Course Points ON

I basically want the unit to dig into its banks and give me the Location at Next, without having anything displayed besides the breadcrumb.

Last edited by seajaye; 03-14-19 at 11:32 AM. Reason: "it's" to "its"... i should proofread first.