Old 10-08-19, 03:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What's your go to bike?
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Rain might dictate which bike I choose, but not wind. Wind does not affect me. Might affect my average speed, but nothing else.

The only other thing that dictates which bike I ride is what kind of ride it is. If it's a long distance, metal to the pedal ride ...my road bikes. A short pleasure ride with the family, I hop on my Roam.
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As a cycle commuter with convenient Commuter Rail alternative, I check Weather.com forecasts starting five days prior. On the day of a ride, if it looks questionable I check current Doppler to decide, and depending on the conditions if I ride in the rain I use my beater road bike.

For a recreational ride or extended training ride, I probably won’t go.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The Doppler looked threatening, and sky was cloudy at 6 AM in Kenmore Square, so I took the beater bike and brought my rain gear to Norwood, but got no rain. In any case I have the rain bike to take home to keep the road bike clean if it still rains later.

Just this year [2009] inspired by BF I have accepted riding in the rain. I used to consider it a game: if I rode and it rained, or I didn't ride and it didn't rain, I lost; if I rode with no rain or didn't ride and it rained, I won.

Now I win or lose depending if I ride with the appropriate bike: beater in the rain, road bike when dry.
My preference for "dry" roads extends to those I consider "damp," with no puddles and no active rain.