Old 01-20-21, 08:55 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Does Stem Angle Matter if Bar is in the Same Place?

I put 40 mm wider bars on my bike (400 to 440). Therefore, I am switching to a shorter stem to bring the bars back closer to me to account for the wider hand spacing. There are currently 25 mm of spacers beneath the existing stem. Using an online stem comparison calculator, if I use a 70mm 7 degree stem with the current 25mm spacers or a 70mm 17 degree stem with 10 mm of spacers, the bar will be in almost the same place. Since this is a bit of trial & error on my part, I'm not concerned about the couple of millimeter difference. For my current purposes, that's close enough.

My question is, if the bar ends up in essentially the same place is there any reason to use the 7 degree angle over the 17 degree, or vice versa? I'll be borrowing or buying a used/inexpensive stem to confirm fit first so if there's no preference between the angles, that will open up more inventory for me to look through.

Thanks!