View Single Post
Old 02-28-21, 11:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
Okay, mine is Trek Marlin 7. The rear derailleur is Shimano Deore M5120, long cage.
For what you need I would probably just replace with what you have but if you did want to upgrade or for some really dumb reason downgrade (which I never recommend unless you absolutely have to) you just need to make sure it is the same number of speeds, the correct length cage and the correct cable pull. After 9 speed Shimano road and mountain diverged so you want to stick with XTR, XT, SLX, DEORE... Just make sure you have the correct number of speeds. I am assuming you have a 10 speed looking at Trek's page for the bike so this Shimano XT RD-M786-SGS or Deore RD-M6000-SGS would work fine. The RD-T6000-SGS could probably work but it is designed for their trekking groupset rather than a mountain bike which you have (hence the "T" vs "M") so no clutch which is handy on a 1x MTB. According to Shimano the derailleur you currently have is also 11 speed compatible but I know cable pull is different for 10 and 11 but probably not nearly enough to cause issue if you did go 11 but if you go 11 you just need a shifter and cassette and you are at 11 speeds already.

There is a guy on Youtube that had issues with your bike and that derailleur because of the clutch but I refuse to link to that video because he links to and supports a known knockoff pedal in his video and I don't play that but is easily searched via the googles. However please for the love of Eddy Merckx and all that is Drillium (or holey) do not buy knockoff stuff.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-01-21 at 05:19 AM. Reason: clean up