Thread: Tapping cars
View Single Post
Old 02-24-05, 03:25 PM
Leo C. Driscoll

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Boston, we throw roses at SUVs that pass us within inches;-)

Last week, in a close encounter of the turd kind with an SUV, I lost a Bell convex mirror mounted on a Cane Creek Ergo II bar-end. (I found as Bell advertised, this little jewel is shatter-resistant ;-)

Last summer. I was punched by an animal in an SUV full of 20-something animalia on infamous Lansdowne Street in the shadow of the Green Monster. I just let the big mo run the Eldridge Grade and somehow I didn't crash. Approaching the next intersection, the animal tried it again. Since I'm a lefty (mostly), I was able to give him a Sanchen chop. The enraged animalia slowed and swerved to sideswipe the Eldridge Grade but I jumped the curb on the one-way street and did a 180.

Last story. Winter of 2001, I was becoming an RVC (reluctant vehicular cyclist) after my son while riding in the Fenway was hit by a driver who ran a red light. The bike was totaled and my son now has a bionic hip. So in the dangerous Fenway, I tended to retreat to "bikeways/walkways" when commuting. One morning, an SUV driver jumped the curb onto a "bikeway/walkway" and drove head-on at my 2000 Marin San Anselmo. I forgot all of Ned Overend's warnings about squeezing brake levers and did a life-saving endo that landed me way down the slope of a snowy embankment. Gracias, San Anselmo. The Marin ended up looking like the Salvador Dali bikes on the BU campus that have been trashed after being locked too long to meters.

Last edited by Leo C. Driscoll; 02-24-05 at 08:19 PM.