Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

GAP and C&O trails

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 11:19 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 485 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3845 Post(s)
Liked 6,915 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrey
Thank you everybody with your suggestions and opinions. I have decided to ride the GAP in two days and the C&O Canal in 3 days, total 5 days of riding. That will be about-75-75-60-60 and 60 miles daily staying in hotels. I was concerned about the unpaved "gravel" trails would slow me down considerably in comparison to riding paved brevets. Also I want to ride slower than we usually ride brevets, to enjoy the scenery more. If I leave about 8-9 am it probably would take me 5-6 hours of easy riding and 2-3 hours for stops. It means I would finish the day about 5 -6 pm , just enough time to have a nice dinner with beer/wine and relax at the hotel Thanks again.
That was pretty much my schedule last year though I did it DC to Pittsburgh, staying in hotels or the like: Day 1, DC to Brunswick, MD; Day 2, Brunswick to Hancock, MD; Day 3, Hancock to Cumberland, MD; Day 4, Cumberland, MD, to Confluence, PA; Day 5, Confluence to Pittsburgh. The last day was a bit over 90 miles, but mostly gradually downhill once I was past the Continental Divide. The C&O part was quite muddy, enough that I had to stop a couple of times and clear the mud from my fenders. Much more of a tour than a brevet!
Likes For nlerner: