Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New SRAM Red Announced - Is this finally the end of chain drops?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 09:03 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts

NEW SRAM Red AXS review: Excellent braking and smoother shifting | BikeRadar

Seems like SRAM engineered a derailleur setup tool to ''limit chain rub'', but I have a feeling that they're also trying to resolve the infamous and the non-officially-recognized-by-SRAM FD chain drops they've been having for almost a decade now.

Thoughts?
Old 05-15-24, 09:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22724 Post(s)
Liked 9,088 Times in 4,224 Posts
Too late for Andy.

But seriously, wait for some unbiased reviews. I expect we will know soon enough.
Old 05-15-24, 11:07 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 103 Posts
probably not. As I predicted SRAM Red E1 is now the lightest electronic groupset. I am running both my bikes with SRAM Force D2 with some older Red D1 parts mixed in and IMO the 10-36 cassette and new chain are really the only things I am interested in

Just preordered my Red E1 chain and 10-36 cassette from Biketiresdirect.com

Last edited by Jrasero; 05-15-24 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-16-24, 04:49 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Jrasero
probably not. As I predicted SRAM Red E1 is now the lightest electronic groupset. I am running both my bikes with SRAM Force D2 with some older Red D1 parts mixed in and IMO the 10-36 cassette and new chain are really the only things I am interested in

Just preordered my Red E1 chain and 10-36 cassette from Biketiresdirect.com
It looks like they redesigned the hoods too - like they did on the Force last year - which is a good thing. I've always found the top of the hoods to be awkward to hold and I like that position when riding flats at a faster than usual pace.
Old 05-16-24, 07:57 AM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by eduskator
It looks like they redesigned the hoods too - like they did on the Force last year - which is a good thing. I've always found the top of the hoods to be awkward to hold and I like that position when riding flats at a faster than usual pace.
tempted to buy the hood kits, but it's like $1500 and the bike I truly would want it on is already pretty long reach wise and has a pain in the ass true intergraded cockpit. I already have Force D2 shifters which IMO are perfectly fine. Interesting to see how much better the braking is on the new Red E1 but again I never found any of the AXS D series to be anything but great although the extra pad clearance is welcomed since the rotor tinging in the wet or when warmed up is very real
Old 05-16-24, 02:53 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
I've never had chain drops with many SRAM AXS setups, but no SRAM cranks either.
Old 05-16-24, 08:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
Can't speak on red but I've loved the way force shifted like crap and liked to drop or jam the chain. Interestingly I've yet to experience the same problem with rival. Wife's first gen rival 10sp has never dropped a chain, and both kids haven't had an issue with rival axs. So when I built the oldest's newest bike I subbed in a rival fd, everything else is force.
Old 05-17-24, 04:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4595 Post(s)
Liked 5,137 Times in 3,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Can't speak on red but I've loved the way force shifted like crap and liked to drop or jam the chain. Interestingly I've yet to experience the same problem with rival. Wife's first gen rival 10sp has never dropped a chain, and both kids haven't had an issue with rival axs. So when I built the oldest's newest bike I subbed in
a rival fd, everything else is force.
I’ve yet to experience this problem with Force, so it’s not that simple. There is obviously something going on, but it doesn’t appear to affect all users. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I doubt it.
Old 05-17-24, 09:11 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Can't speak on red but I've loved the way force shifted like crap and liked to drop or jam the chain. Interestingly I've yet to experience the same problem with rival. Wife's first gen rival 10sp has never dropped a chain, and both kids haven't had an issue with rival axs. So when I built the oldest's newest bike I subbed in a rival fd, everything else is force.
I've had the same experience on the previous Force gen. FD would throw the chain between the pedal and big ring or between the frame and small ring even if everything was setup properly and well within specs.

FD moves so slow as compared to DI2 (any), I believe it's part of the problem/explanation. Never tried Red though so I don't know if the motor is better/faster.
Old 05-17-24, 09:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,784 Times in 2,576 Posts
My understanding is that they fixed the chain drop problem fairly soon after Schlenk had his issue. I can't imagine they are ever going to live it down though.
Old 05-17-24, 01:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4595 Post(s)
Liked 5,137 Times in 3,174 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
My understanding is that they fixed the chain drop problem fairly soon after Schlenk had his issue. I can't imagine they are ever going to live it down though.
When was that? Mine is 2022 Force and doesn't drop chains. Neither is it slow to shift.
Old 05-17-24, 08:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked 7,524 Times in 3,028 Posts

No, it's just the beginning. Up to now, SRAM has been beta-testing their chain dropper.
Old 05-17-24, 08:33 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe

No, it's just the beginning. Up to now, SRAM has been beta-testing their chain dropper.
I eagerly await the chain dropper and how it's going to change road cycling forever.

Last edited by Sierra_rider; 05-19-24 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-19-24, 07:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 797 Posts
The end of chain drops has always been careful installation and adjustment of the front derailleur. But what do I know, I only have 4 Sram bikes I built and maintain - two mechanical (Force and Red) and two AXS (both Force). I've not had a lick of chain drop with any, ever.
Old 05-20-24, 03:00 PM
Jrasero

As some people pointed out chain dropping for even Shimano isn't new. Yeah on Rival AXS I have had my fair share of chain drops but it's like mayb 1-2 a year at most. Force D2 has been much more solid and knock on wood I have not had a drop yet. People forget that Shimano mechanical dropped far more often and my friend who just road the GFNY on Ultegra Di2 (12 speed) dropped his chain twice. Yes, Shimano front derailleurs seemingly shift faster even compared to Red E1, but to me that's a function of double tape and to me it's still plenty fast
Old 05-21-24, 11:00 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Jrasero
As some people pointed out chain dropping for even Shimano isn't new. Yeah on Rival AXS I have had my fair share of chain drops but it's like mayb 1-2 a year at most. Force D2 has been much more solid and knock on wood I have not had a drop yet. People forget that Shimano mechanical dropped far more often and my friend who just road the GFNY on Ultegra Di2 (12 speed) dropped his chain twice. Yes, Shimano front derailleurs seemingly shift faster even compared to Red E1, but to me that's a function of double tape and to me it's still plenty fast
I've had 6 bikes equipped with Shimano groupsets so far (Tiagra to Ultegra), all adjusted by different people and/or by me. Not a single chain drop.

People can blame it on the person who installed and adjusted it all they want, but my amateur conclusion is that this is an engineering issue.

I had 1 SRAM Force equipped bike that gave me 2-3 chain drops per ride, every single ride. I had 3 different person, including the shop mecanic, adjusting it. I also tried adjusting it myself. Nothing could fix the drops. Now, whenever I meet a cyclist and see that he's riding SRAM, I ask him if he has chain drops just for fun. 90% of the time, the answer is yes. I can't conclude that 90% of the persons who worked on the SRAM equipped bikes I've seen in my life are incompetent.