Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Triple to double

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Triple to double

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 11:36 AM
jas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Triple to double

After reading all the great posts here about drivetrain choices, I thought I'd post my recent experience.

I wanted to move to a double front for simplicity and improved shifting. I wanted more low end and was willing to give up some top end gearing.

I ended up keeping my FSA crank. I replaced the inner ring with a TA 28t (74bcd). I replaced the middle with a Wickworks 46t (130bcd). I left the outer position empty.

I kept my FD (105 triple), my RD (XT), the chain and my ultegra 9sp STI levers. I did not adjust the FD at all as a test.

First test ride and it is perfect. Shifting in front is spot on.

My range with the 11-34 cassette is 21.2-114 gear inches. I tried it with a 11-40 cassette and it works perfectly without a hanger extender. That puts the low at 19 inches, which I don't need.

The wickworks ring is great in the middle position. The chainring nut heads are slightly prominent as this ring was meant for the outside position. There is no interference with the chain in any gear, which was my main concern.

Hope that helps someone!
Old 05-15-24, 12:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by jas
I did not adjust the FD at all as a test.
Surely, you at least intend to lock out the big ring position with the hi limit adjustment? Long term you would want to do that. An accidental shift to a non-existent ring does not sound pretty.
Old 05-15-24, 03:09 PM
jas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Leisesturm.
Yes, forgot to mention that I did do that via the limit screw after a quick test ride. So far, so good