Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 10:53 AM
broobike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duvall to Skykomish?

Hi, this is my first post -- I just have a regular touring bike and am in the middle of my goal to bicycle to every single King County library system branch (I just retired after working for them for 26+ years!). I've now biked to 32 of the 50 branches. My final most ambitious ride will likely be from Duvall to Skykomish and would love any advice. Highway 2 doesn't look like the friendliest of roads for cyclists and would love any advice or alternative routes....!
I will plan on going on a Tuesday or maybe Friday when the library is open (not on a busier weekend!)

TIA, Bruce

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-09-22 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-09-22, 04:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts
Here you go: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39757957
Hope you can open it whether you have RWGPS or not.

The roads up to Sultan are quite ordinary. I've ridden them many times. Beyond Sultan, I used to ride Hwy 2 at least once a year, all the way to Wenatchee, but the last couple decades it's become annoyingly busy. I've shown some off-Hwy work-arounds, which I've also ridden because of the traffic. They are fairly strenuous, the Kellogg Lake one more so, the one ending in Index is actually pretty good and a very good option. The last 10 miles into Skykomish are shoulderless. OTOH, it's only 10 miles and quite flat. Hwy 2 traffic is quite weather-sensitive. Much of it is people going to eastern Washinton either to escape the rain on one side or the other or for weekends or holidays, so think about things like that when deciding when to do it.
Old 05-06-24, 05:03 PM
broobike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Carbonfiberboy,

Sorry I'm just getting back to you about the ride on hwy 2 to skykomish -- wonder how important the kellogg lake and index detours are -- they look considerably steeper and longer but are better because of less traffic and maybe bigger shoulders on the road for bikes? thanks, Bruce
Old 05-07-24, 10:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by broobike
Hi Carbonfiberboy,

Sorry I'm just getting back to you about the ride on hwy 2 to skykomish -- wonder how important the kellogg lake and index detours are -- they look considerably steeper and longer but are better because of less traffic and maybe bigger shoulders on the road for bikes? thanks, Bruce
Why do you want to ride to Skykomish in the first place? Those detours are what my group used to ride in preference to the highway, but we wanted strenuous anyway. Yes, much, much more strenuous. That was before it became obvious to us that the highway simply wasn't safe to ride anymore. I can't remember the last time I saw a bike on it, and I drive it fairly regularly. Oh, I see the occasional local on an MTB here and there but no one who's actually going anywhere.
Old 05-08-24, 06:18 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 117 Posts
I rode once from Stevens Pass to Leavenworth - nice downhill.
On another occasion, round trip from Liberty, Blewett Pass (0ld), close to Leavenworth (Smallwood's Harvest for food/drink) and back to Liberty (all on 97).
And Redmond to Ellensburg, part of I-90 couple times and once on John Wayne (probably wont do it again past Snoqualmie - it is too sand, hard to ride with 700x38c.
So the part not yet explored is from Monroe to Stevens.
How is the climb from Skykomish to Stevens? I see we have ok-ish sholders on googu maps.
Old 05-09-24, 01:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by phtomita
I rode once from Stevens Pass to Leavenworth - nice downhill.
On another occasion, round trip from Liberty, Blewett Pass (0ld), close to Leavenworth (Smallwood's Harvest for food/drink) and back to Liberty (all on 97).
And Redmond to Ellensburg, part of I-90 couple times and once on John Wayne (probably wont do it again past Snoqualmie - it is too sand, hard to ride with 700x38c.
So the part not yet explored is from Monroe to Stevens.
How is the climb from Skykomish to Stevens? I see we have ok-ish sholders on googu maps.
That climb is fine, good shoulder most of the way. The descent is a real kick. Not fun on weekends or Monday. Best on a weekday morning.

From Cle Elum to Leavenworth and back (100 miles) used to be really fun, taking Old Blewitt Pass both ways. I called the ride back into Cle Elum on 970 the Third Pass because of the headwind. But traffic has gotten heavy now and it's not as much fun anymore.
Old 05-10-24, 02:27 PM
broobike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, but see: I have bicycled to all the Seattle and King county libraries except Skykomish so want to complete my quest...! (I used to work for KCLS).
Will attempt next Tuesday...!
Old 05-10-24, 04:31 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That climb is fine, good shoulder most of the way. The descent is a real kick. Not fun on weekends or Monday. Best on a weekday morning.

From Cle Elum to Leavenworth and back (100 miles) used to be really fun, taking Old Blewitt Pass both ways. I called the ride back into Cle Elum on 970 the Third Pass because of the headwind. But traffic has gotten heavy now and it's not as much fun anymore.
I did the ride from Liberty to close to Leavenworth, I think was August 2022. We were camping at Mineral Springs Campground. Left early in the morning and came back around 11:30am. Car was ok for me on 97, mostly riding on the lane monitoring the rear mirror and moving to the side as few cars approached. Met a guy coming up when heading downhill to Leavenworth, and again while climbing towards Blewett Pass. The problem was my two bottles going empty close to the Pass, but after that is just going down to the camp site
Old 05-11-24, 01:22 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by broobike
thanks, but see: I have bicycled to all the Seattle and King county libraries except Skykomish so want to complete my quest...! (I used to work for KCLS).
Will attempt next Tuesday...!
Stay safe and let us know how it goes!