Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

What age did you re-start BMX?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:22 AM
nonhunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

For some of us we put the bike down for a while and then picked it up after some time. I'm interested to know how long between others did? I'm thinking of picking it back up again myself...
Old 05-11-24, 08:48 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by nonhunner
For some of us we put the bike down for a while and then picked it up after some time. I'm interested to know how long between others did? I'm thinking of picking it back up again myself...
I never really did any racing as a kid, there were no tracks anywhere close - I started after my kids did, I was 40.
Old 05-13-24, 10:43 AM
80sKidd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I raced in 1981 a few times, then again in 1996 a few times. In 2021 at 51 the bug bit again and I raced most of the season and got number 10 in the state. There seems to be a huge resurgence of mid 50's and older people getting back into it. the tracks have changed a lot since the 70's and 80's but the people are still great and the BMX family is as strong as ever.
Likes For 80sKidd:
Old 05-13-24, 11:19 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 462 Posts
this is one of my missed goals in life (I'll be 60 this year). I always wanted to do it, and never did. I didn't know anyone into it when younger, and then thought I'd have a chance in my mid 50s if my kids showed interest, but as luck would have it, they don't even want to learn to ride bikes. Shame because we have a track in town.

I did restore a 1990 Schwinn Phantom during the pandemic as part of an online build-off on another bicycle forum. I ride it around the driveway when the kids are using kick scooters/skates and playing.
Old 05-14-24, 04:16 PM
80sKidd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You should go to the track. The first race is free with no obligation to join. Most tracks will rent you a bike and a helmet, just wear long sleeves and pants. Find out when they open and get there early so you can get a few practice laps in and try the gate. You won't regret it!
Likes For 80sKidd:
Old 05-15-24, 09:16 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
this is one of my missed goals in life (I'll be 60 this year). I always wanted to do it, and never did. I didn't know anyone into it when younger, and then thought I'd have a chance in my mid 50s if my kids showed interest, but as luck would have it, they don't even want to learn to ride bikes. Shame because we have a track in town.

I did restore a 1990 Schwinn Phantom during the pandemic as part of an online build-off on another bicycle forum. I ride it around the driveway when the kids are using kick scooters/skates and playing.
Go to the track. Try it out, have a blast. You don't need to go so hard as to crash all the time - you'll probably fall at some point, WEAR PADS & a full face - but people rarely crash in the old guy novice. Old guy inter is where it gets silly. And mostly younger than you. At most locals you'd be riding with whatever the oldest group was though, regardless of skill
Likes For Viich: