Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cabon Fiber Folk

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cabon Fiber Folk

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 04:00 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
Cabon Fiber Folk

I just bought a new/used bike with a Carbon Fiber Fork. Given all the bad news about CF. then passed few years, should I replace the fork with a steel one or not?
Old 05-10-24, 04:07 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
Carbon Fiber Folk

I know that many commuters have replaced their C.F. bikes with Steel or Alum. I have a new/used bike with just the folk that is Carbon Fiber. Should I replace folk with steel or Alum.?
Old 05-10-24, 04:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 1,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I know that many commuters have replaced their C.F. bikes with Steel or Alum. I have a new/used bike with just the folk that is Carbon Fiber. Should I replace folk with steel or Alum.?
Funny - I was just thumbing through an old Quality Bicycle Products catalog today, not having looked at it since the 1990's, and stopped at the page showing road bike forks. The catalog was from before the era of aluminum or carbon steerers. Depending on the models, the differences in weight between the carbon forks and the aluminum forks ranged from 15 to 0 grams. The steel forks were quite a bit heavier.

If you're determined to replace it, either steel or aluminum would probably be fine. Some people believe that steel forks give a pleasanter ride, but I've never been able to tell any difference, and I've owned maybe 15 high-end steel racing bikes (including one with an aluminum fork) and several aluminum racing bikes, two with aluminum forks. For what it's worth, my favorite race bike has an aluminum frame and fork.

It would probably be a good idea to determine the rake of your present fork, as well as the length of the steerer tube, before buying a replacement. And the fork should be compatible with the bike's front brake and wheel, obviously.
Old 05-10-24, 04:30 PM
Trakhak

Just replied in your other thread, which has a slightly differently worded version of the same question.

Answer to the question posed here: I wouldn't bother. The percentage of failed forks must be tiny, or the manufacturers would have been motivated to stop using carbon by costly lawsuits claiming that all those failed carbon forks failed because they're inherently unsafe.
Old 05-10-24, 07:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked 2,146 Times in 1,213 Posts
I just bought a new/used bike with a Carbon Fiber Fork. Given all the bad news about CF. then passed few years, should I replace the fork with a steel one or not?
There’s no such thing as all the bad news about carbon forks. They are used on a million bikes with no issues. Touring bikes with steel frames are likely to see steel forks because they are easy to install eyelets and rack mounts. If you have no eyelets and need them to mount a rack, by all means get a steel fork. I would get steel before I would use aluminum. No point in changing because of poor understanding of carbon forks,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-11-24, 09:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Really?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-12-24, 02:29 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Really?
Let me answer that question with another question.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-13-24, 08:48 AM
abikequest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, why is the news all bad on carbon? So far I havent seen any issues with any of my carbon bikes and its pretty rough around here in Colorado.

I did just visit a friend in Tennessee and he was saying he wouldnt want to ride a carbon MTB because he was afraid it would fail so maybe this is just misunderstood?
Old 05-13-24, 12:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Let me answer that question with another question.
I am no spring chicken, having come to this bbs in my mid thirties some eleven years ago. But even then, "Is carbon ok?" was a stale old Usenet chewtoy
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-13-24, 12:05 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked 6,703 Times in 3,841 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.

Old 05-13-24, 12:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,113 Times in 2,746 Posts
Unfortunately poorly made components of any material can fail. However carbon is generally not an issue. As someone who has 4 carbon fiber forks and has commuted on them I would not replace them. Two of the fork are from Whisky Parts Co. One is ENVE and the other is Specialized and the Specialized fork is the oldest followed by the ENVE and have had a lot of miles on them under a heavier rider with no issue.

The carbon I would worry about is really old carbon and really cheap stuff from unknown sources but if properly laid up from a known source nothing to worry about.
Old 05-14-24, 07:22 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
No, it’s fine.
Old 05-15-24, 11:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7382 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,478 Posts
Carbon fiber is prone to abrasion. Watch for that, though it's a danger mostly in crashes, not everyday use.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-16-24, 11:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6257 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
I had qualms about carbon forks when I got my first on a Salsa Las Cruces in 2006. I put that bike into retirement in 2021 but over the intervening 16 years and 22,000 miles, the fork is still as good as the day it went on the bike. Don't worry about it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-20-24, 10:46 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
yes, I was just watching a youtube that talked about the "ring of death" dealing with the headset where you need to keep it at the right tension otherwise a worn spot can happen to the carbon fork.

now with that said, I do have a bike with a carbon fork and have not had any problems.
Old 05-20-24, 11:16 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
...Given all the bad news about CF...
What bad news is that? It's too light, too responsive, too strong, too repairable, too common in virtually every type of cycling? Is it because F1 race cars, aircraft, and space vehicles use CF as a common material? Could it be that a few decades of testing, improvement, and use isn't adequate?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-20-24, 12:04 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It would probably be a good idea to determine the rake of your present fork, as well as the length of the steerer tube, before buying a replacement. And the fork should be compatible with the bike's front brake and wheel, obviously.
It really should be stressed in more follow-up posts than just this one, how important it is to get the right fork as a replacement. I personally don't think it is even possible in a lot of applications. For MTB there are all kinds of shock forks and suspension 'corrected' rigid forks available on the aftermarket and something can be found that can work. For touring and racing bikes, the fork design is more integral, and often the only practical replacement is no replacement at all. TL;DR: live with the bike as is or get another that does not have components that cause worry.