Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chain replacement required when upgrading to oval chainring

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 10:53 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have a 2023 Canyon Spectral 29 cf with a 32 tooth Shimano SLX chain ring. I'm going to replace it with an Absolute Black 32T oval chain ring. Do I need to replace my chain as well? It has 250 miles on it.

Also if I need to replace the chain, can I use a Shimano SLX CN-M7100 Chain - 12-Speed? My bike came with a CN-M6100. I think both are hyperglide (HG)
Old 05-13-24, 11:15 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,159 Times in 2,783 Posts
Assuming your chain was correctly sized in the first place you shouldn't need to change anything if you are sticking with 32t. Any 12 speed Shimano chain should be compatible at least at this point.
Old 05-13-24, 01:17 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Assuming your chain was correctly sized in the first place you shouldn't need to change anything if you are sticking with 32t. Any 12 speed Shimano chain should be compatible at least at this point.

I'm asking if the original chain should be replaced b/c it has 250 miles on it. Would putting a new chain on the bike along with the new oval chain ring help prolong the life of the drivetrain? Or no?
Old 05-13-24, 02:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by lyle.coop
I'm asking if the original chain should be replaced b/c it has 250 miles on it. Would putting a new chain on the bike along with the new oval chain ring help prolong the life of the drivetrain? Or no?
250 miles is not really much in terms of mileage. I wouldn't worry too much unless those were 250 hard miles with zero maintenance and loads of rust which is still tough to do in that short of a time.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-14-24, 07:43 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by veganbikes
250 miles is not really much in terms of mileage. I wouldn't worry too much unless those were 250 hard miles with zero maintenance and loads of rust which is still tough to do in that short of a time.
It was on a brand new bike - all new components. 250 miles mountain biking. Bike chain was regularly cleaned and lubed.
Old 05-14-24, 12:14 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 149 Posts
I wouldn’t bother, but it’s your bike and the decision is up to you.
If you’re really concerned, buy a chain wear indicator tool. If you don’t have one, you should anyway.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-14-24 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-14-24, 04:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by lyle.coop
It was on a brand new bike - all new components. 250 miles mountain biking. Bike chain was regularly cleaned and lubed.
Then no I wouldn't replace the chain at all for this. You are good to go.