Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and hand signals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and hand signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 09:18 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Cyclists who do not know or do not use the uniform code of signaling are doing a great disservice to all bicyclists and automobile drivers.

Voicing your opinion on a forum such as this is fine. Riding the roads of America and making up your own signals or neglecting to use any signals is poor behavior. Automobile drivers would know and understand the signals if all bicyclists would know and use them.

Simple stuff.
Likes For bowwow:
Old 08-11-21, 09:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5090 Post(s)
Liked 8,402 Times in 3,971 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
Cyclists who do not know or do not use the uniform code of signaling are doing a great disservice to all bicyclists and automobile drivers.

Voicing your opinion on a forum such as this is fine. Riding the roads of America and making up your own signals or neglecting to use any signals is poor behavior. Automobile drivers would know and understand the signals if all bicyclists would know and use them.

Simple stuff.
Extending the right hand to signal a right turn is not "making up your own signals". It's a legal signal for cyclists to use, as indicated in the vehicle codes of many/most states.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-11-21 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 08-11-21, 09:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,312 Times in 2,417 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The state traffic laws often differ from the uniform vehicle code.
Not usually by much. The whole point is to have vehicle laws that are similar across the US.

No, it does not. The state laws do that.
Okay. Poorly worded. The NHSTA makes suggestions. Their suggestions are usually adopted.

It's common that right-hand-extended is legal. But, while the left hand up is universal, it's not clear that the right-hand-extended is.
I could find no state that specifically prohibits it. There are lots and lots of states that allow the use of right hand/right turn signal for bicycles. I doubt that you’d be cited in any state that doesn’t specifically allow it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-11-21, 09:49 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Simple stuff.
From “Colorado Statutes : TITLE 42 VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC: REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : ARTICLE 4 REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : PART 14 OTHER OFFENSES : 42-4-1412. Operation of bicycles and other human-powered vehicles”, section 9a

(9) (a) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection (9), every person riding a bicycle shall signal his intention to turn or stop in accordance with the provisions of section 42-4-903; except that a person riding a bicycle may signal a right turn with the right arm extended horizontally.
And, for the people who are worried about using the signal through the turn, Colorado statue covers that as well in section 9b

(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the bicycle before turning and shall be given while the bicycle is stopped waiting to turn. A signal by hand and arm need not be given continuously if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.
For Michigan “MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT) Act 300 of 1949 257.648 Operation of vehicle or bicycle; signals for stopping or turning; signal lamp or mechanical signal device on commercial motor vehicle; violation as civil infraction,”

(4) When a person is operating a bicycle and signal is given by means of the hand and arm, the operator shall signal as follows:
(a) For a left turn, the operator shall extend his or her left hand and arm horizontally.
(b) For a right turn, the operator shall extend his or her left hand and arm upward or shall extend his or her right hand and arm horizontally.
This was put into place in 2014. See the bottom of the link above.

It is allowed by law in your state (and mine) and is not a “made up signal”. You can free yourself from a law imposed by the width of a car.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-11-21, 10:07 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not usually by much. The whole point is to have vehicle laws that are similar across the US.
The history is more complicated. The right-hand-extended is a good example of that. It wasn't adopted at the same time by the states (it was done over quite a number of years). The variability of the "safe passing" laws are another example (some states have it; some states don't; and they don't all use the same distance).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffi..._United_States

For driving in the United States, each state and territory has its own traffic code or rules of the road, although most of the rules of the road are similar for the purpose of uniformity, given that all states grant reciprocal driving privileges (and penalties) to each other's licensed drivers. There is also a "Uniform Vehicle Code" which was proposed by a private, non-profit group, based upon input by its members. The UVC was not adopted in its entirety by any state. As with uniform acts in general, some states adopted selected sections as written or with modifications, while others created their own sui generis statutes touching upon the same subject matter.
Okay. Poorly worded. The NHSTA makes suggestions.
One repeated problem in this thread is people not actually looking at what their state says is legal. There are a few people here insistent on the left-hand when their state allows the right hand.

Their suggestions are usually adopted.
I doubt that it's "usually" now. Most states tend to be reluctant to change their traffic laws.

I could find no state that specifically prohibits it. There are lots and lots of states that allow the use of right hand/right turn signal for bicycles.
The left-hand thing was long established (100 years ago?). The right-hand thing is more recent. While it's possible that all states allow it, it wouldn't be surprising that there are still a few hold-outs.

I doubt that you’d be cited in any state that doesn’t specifically allow it.
That's a separate thing (but I agree with it).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-11-21 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-11-21, 10:11 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 718 Posts
interestingly, in california there are many official and semi-official references which make no reference to the right-hand version of the right turn signal. several advocacy and legal websites don’t mention it at all, or refer to it as unofficial.

and yet, it’s very clearly in the CVC, and looks like it may have been since at least 1976?!?

Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-11-21, 10:13 AM
njkayaker

Simple stuff.
How hard is it to look up the laws in your state before voicing your opinion?
Old 08-11-21, 10:15 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mschwett
interestingly, in california there are many official and semi-official references which make no reference to the right-hand version of the right turn signal. several advocacy and legal websites don’t mention it at all, or refer to it as unofficial.
You can't trust these secondary sources. They can miss stuff (either to make things simpler or just being a mistake).
Old 08-11-21, 10:50 AM
ceebee4

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh Super Course; 1985 Team Fuji; 200? On-One InBred

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Update: just got back from a ride. Turns out, I take my right hand off the handlebar all the time! To adjust my glasses, to wipe the sweat off my face, and especially to grab my bottle. At least as often as I take my left hand off the bars to signal, maybe even more. Only noticed this time because my initial comment on this topic sparked the most response I've ever gotten on this forum. So apparently, signaling with my left arm because it's a braking issue was something I made up as a justification.

Actually, I simply like doing it that way... because I've always done it that way. I learned I concocted at least one reason for sticking with it when most other riders seemed to signal in another fashion. It was always just an affectation. Now I know. But also, now that I know it's as acceptable as pointing with either hand, I'm going to stick with it.

So going forward, I won't (any longer) judge others for pointing their directionals. I'm hoping my fellow cyclists, among the best people by definition, will grant me the same courtesy. Thanks for the convo.. and the education.
Likes For ceebee4:
Old 08-11-21, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ceebee4
Actually, I simply like doing it that way... because I've always done it that way.

I think that's a perfectly good reason. Trying to do one you're not used to is just going to make it more difficult to time it right, etc. Better to do the one that comes automatically to you. I probably wouldn't throw the left-handed one just for the same reason.

Great post, by the way.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-11-21, 11:17 AM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Eric F
Extending the right hand to signal a right turn is not "making up your own signals". It's a legal signal for cyclists to use, as indicated in the vehicle codes of many/most states.
Totally agree. Right hand extended is absolutely part of the code. Just as left arm up for a right turn and left arm down for stop or slow down. If ALL cyclists would use these signals ALL of the time, before long, motorists would understand them and cycling would be much safer.
Old 08-11-21, 11:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by ceebee4
Update: just got back from a ride. Turns out, I take my right hand off the handlebar all the time! To adjust my glasses, to wipe the sweat off my face, and especially to grab my bottle. At least as often as I take my left hand off the bars to signal, maybe even more. Only noticed this time because my initial comment on this topic sparked the most response I've ever gotten on this forum. So apparently, signaling with my left arm because it's a braking issue was something I made up as a justification.

Actually, I simply like doing it that way... because I've always done it that way. I learned I concocted at least one reason for sticking with it when most other riders seemed to signal in another fashion. It was always just an affectation. Now I know. But also, now that I know it's as acceptable as pointing with either hand, I'm going to stick with it.

So going forward, I won't (any longer) judge others for pointing their directionals. I'm hoping my fellow cyclists, among the best people by definition, will grant me the same courtesy. Thanks for the convo.. and the education.
Funny you mention that. As I was riding last night, I was noticing the times I take my right hand off the bars to do all those things, and how it related to this discussion - LOL
Old 08-11-21, 11:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Totally agree. Right hand extended is absolutely part of the code. Just as left arm up for a right turn and left arm down for stop or slow down. If ALL cyclists would use these signals ALL of the time, before long, motorists would understand them and cycling would be much safer.

I still contend that in all my decades of riding and driving, I have never once seen a cyclist actually signal a stop.
Old 08-11-21, 12:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I still contend that in all my decades of riding and driving, I have never once seen a cyclist actually signal a stop.
Riding single-file behind a friend last weekend, between parked cars and traffic, he used a left-hand-down signal to let me know he was slowing down. It was pretty helpful actually.
Old 08-11-21, 12:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you ever ride in groups? I see it all the time in those cases. Likewise if I'm stopping and I know there happens to be cyclists nearby and behind me, I will use this eg. on the side of the road if I want to stop for some reason, since they're likely sharing my approximate line.

For regular car traffic and if there's a stoplight or stop sign, it's not terribly important because hopefully the car behind you will be seeing the same signal. And, unlike cars which have brake lights and turn signals, bicyclists making turns, would have to figure out how to do 2 signals at the same time and they tend to opt for the turn indication over the stopping indication.

As to right turn signaling, I can't recall ever seeing a cyclist use the left arm bent method around here, only the right arm extended. Take that for what its worth, but I'll go with what is the most common over something more archaic every time.
Old 08-11-21, 12:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
That's a guide for signals to other riders on a group ride. It doesn't seem to be talking about what is allowed by the traffic law.

The following seems more germaine (look at the "Arm Signals" section):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...her-road-users
Good point, of course the dilemma is what to do when both conditions exist -- ie. there's both a group and traffic.
Old 08-11-21, 12:35 PM
bowwow

The code is right hand OR left arm. Denying the left arm signal in favor of the right arm is in essence, making up your own set of signals.
Old 08-11-21, 12:37 PM
bowwow

How hard is it to look up the laws in your state before voicing your opinion?
I know the law. It hasn't changed in fifty years!
Old 08-11-21, 12:45 PM
bowwow

agreed
Old 08-11-21, 12:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 1,077 Posts
Well, I remember being at odds with the League of Michigan Bicyclists and MMBA on this silly pointing right thing back in ‘13, and it was signed into law in ‘14, IIRC.

It was introduced by the same Republican who introduced a bill to start charging prisoners sales tax, so that might give you an idea of the headspace this idea occupies.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-11-21, 02:36 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by chaadster
Well, I remember being at odds with the League of Michigan Bicyclists and MMBA on this silly pointing right thing back in ‘13, and it was signed into law in ‘14, IIRC.

It was introduced by the same Republican who introduced a bill to start charging prisoners sales tax, so that might give you an idea of the headspace this idea occupies.
??? So, it's some sort of republican plot? In other states too?

It makes no sense that there's no problem pointing left but pointing right is some sort of disaster.
Old 08-11-21, 02:49 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 114 Posts
Wow, I did not realize this had grown to an 11-page thread.

Didn't read everything, but from my perspective, I use my left hand to do all the signaling so that I have my hand on the rear brake. If I'm signaling a right turn with my right hand and have to stop suddenly, I'll probably go over the bars. Of course, ti's all theoretical, but I do feel more secure doing it that way, because I'm usually in traffic, approaching an intersection, etc. Default brake is the rear, if you can only use one.

Now, if we could just get the people in my neighborhood who walk in the street to walk on the [i]correct[/] side of the street, i.e., facing traffic. It triggers my pet peeve when I approach them from behind and they have to turn and see if they're about to get hit by a car. So many people who've never lived in the country, or know simple rules of the road.
Old 08-11-21, 02:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 1,077 Posts
??? So, it's some sort of republican plot? In other states too?
I don’t think so, no.

It makes no sense that there's no problem pointing left but pointing right is some sort of disaster.
None of what you’re saying makes much sense to me, either.
Old 08-11-21, 03:05 PM
cyccommute 

From the MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT) Act 300 of 1949, Section 257.648
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1954, Act 181, Eff. Aug. 13, 1954 ;-- Am. 1958, Act 166, Eff. Sept. 13, 1958 ;-- Am. 1974, Act 334, Imd. Eff. Dec. 17, 1974 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 510, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979 ;-- Am. 2014, Act 1, Imd. Eff. Jan. 28, 2014
Apparently the law in Michigan has changed in 50 years…apparently 4 times. The last one, allowing for the use of right hand/right turn signals was only 7 years ago.

The problem the rest of us are having with you “left arm only” guys is that while it is still legal to use the left arm, it is also allows for using the right hand for signaling. You (and others) keep acting like it is wrong and, more importantly, illegal to use a right hand/right turn signal.

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-11-21 at 05:45 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-11-21, 03:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The code is right hand OR left arm. Denying the left arm signal in favor of the right arm is in essence, making up your own set of signals.
Ummm...no. That's not what it means. The code allows for a cyclist to use either method to signal a right turn. There is no indication anywhere that the right hand should only be used if the left hand is unavailable, or that signaling with the left hand is the preferred method. Both are legal, and a cyclist may choose either one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.