Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 09:17 AM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
Worthiness is not based upon strengths in cyclings, it's based around the social order defined by your affluence. The dude on the C59 Italia Disk doesn't care that he's slower than you because he's going to drive home in his G-Series, park next to his Lambo and Ferrari, then go home to his super-model wife. He already won before you started caring about who rides what. No matter how fast you go, the guy on the expensive bike is always "better than you" in all aspects of life.

awesome, you'll go far!
Old 06-17-13, 09:18 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SolitaryRider
...and pass-out every night in an alcohol or drug-induced coma [like all the celebrities] because he devoted his life to the pursuit of those "things", and yet they fail to make him happy, because that's not what life is about.
Possibly, life is whatever you make it. I know a few obscenely rich, happy people.

I think the only "benefit" to a $10K bike, is that you know what all the carbon high-tech and electronic gimmickry is supposed to do for you, and therefor you say "It's the best"; but if you didn't know that, you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that bike and one that cost a quarter as much.

Another thing I've noticed, is that many of the people with these super-expensive bikes, never seem to keep them long. A year or two, and then they're buying a newer one. Why, if they're so great? It's the mindset! Newest; latest; greatest; Can't be seen on an old bike, 'cause a 7 year-old Venge is like a 7 year-old Cadillac and won't impress anyone.
I have a sickness where I believe that things like cars and bicycles have a soul, and they're "people" to a degree. I also believe engineering and fabrication is a visual art (among other things), one that I appreciate more than any other art. For that reason, I want to own that art. It could be a CAAD10, Ritte Stainless snob, Parlee Z2, C59, Cervelo R3, or Specialized Tarmac (all with SRAM). Unfortunately only two of those bikes are in my price range, but right now I have a China-bike that requires more miles before it's retired. To leave it now would be an injustice to it's form. If I had the scratch to put that C59 Italia in the house, I probably would.
Old 06-17-13, 09:21 AM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Square Wheels
I just started riding, and have a bike with far more potential than me.
On Saturday, I went for a ride on the bike this forum has determined I don't deserve.
I rode with a guy in his early 60's (I'm 49) on an old steel frame fixie that he just put together from parts he had laying around. He rode it for the first time on our ride.
I had my ass handed to me several times on our 30 mile ride.

Does that mean I should trade in my sweet ride for a steel fixie? Nope, ain't happening.
I'll get better, I'll never be great and I'll never race.

I like nice toys and this is one of them.

Not only do I not deserve the awesome bike I own, I clearly don't deserve the awesome carbon bars my wife gave me for my birthday today.

I read through a lot of the posts here, I guess I don't understand why others care what I have. Are there sympathy threads for great riders who are relegated to riding Walmart bikes? I'm sure there are plenty of them who who kick my ass too. I don't feel bad for them, nor jealous of someone riding a Dogma. I have what I have, you have what you have, now let's just ride and be friends.
Deserve it? If you can afford it, you deserve it.

Was it a wise investment? If you think it was worth it. (If I had an uber-expensive bike, every time I rode it, I'd be saying myself "I paid $10K for THIS?! What am I, crazy?!".)

I'm with one of the posters above, who basically said that he doesn't want something that's so valuable that he has to constantly worry about it. I find a lot of times, I seem to enjoy old junky things the most, as they free me to not have to worry about them, and then I can more fully enjoy them, or at least have them be "invisible" and enjoy whatever activity I am doing with them, and actually concentrate on the activity instead of the item.

Even with cars- I've found that it was the old beaters I've enjoyed the most, because I didn't have to worry about somebody parking next to me and dinging my door or scratching it- I'd just drive them for all they worth. My Town Car was nice....but other than giving me an air of class, it didn't accomplish anything that the 20 year-old Buick LeSabre couldn't do.

What puts things in perspective for me, is, when I buy something, I always ask myself "If something catastrophic were to happen to it, could I afford to replace it without it being a major burden*?". [*=Not just meaning financially- but mentally. I could replace my $700 used bike many times over without giving it a thought. A $10KI item would be another story- even though I have the money, I don't part with $10K easily- and few people do. You'd have a harder job getting $10K out of my friend who is worth a few million, than you would getting it out of me...]
Old 06-17-13, 09:30 AM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possibly, life is whatever you make it. I know a few obscenely rich, happy people.
They do exist. I wouldn't want to chance it, though- hence, I don't play the lottery. (Well that, and because I'm not stupid...]

I have a sickness where I believe that things like cars and bicycles have a soul, and they're "people" to a degree. I also believe engineering and fabrication is a visual art (among other things), one that I appreciate more than any other art. For that reason, I want to own that art. It could be a CAAD10, Ritte Stainless snob, Parlee Z2, C59, Cervelo R3, or Specialized Tarmac (all with SRAM). Unfortunately only two of those bikes are in my price range, but right now I have a China-bike that requires more miles before it's retired. To leave it now would be an injustice to it's form. If I had the scratch to put that C59 Italia in the house, I probably would.
I'm afflicted with a similar ailment- only I tend to find beauty in older things. It takes a while and a good deal of loving care and use for things to acquire character- and that character can't be bought.
Old 06-17-13, 09:37 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Is it just me or should there be some type of system that dictates if one is truly worthy of a given bike? Is it OK to be a newby with a new Dragonfly Calfee with full dura ace? Or should one have to work their way up the cycling hierarchy through putting miles in first? I enjoy nothing more than flying by some dood with a $5,000 bike who has a nice matching team kit. Or am I just jealous??
Oh...are you one of those guys that pretends you are in a race, then you catch up to and pass a rider that has no clue you are back there? And in your head you can hear the Phill Liggett commentary about how you are "bridging the gap" to the break?

YOu bridge across to the housewife with the kid on the back on a mountain train hooked up to her bike, then give her the Lance "look" and sneer as you go by.

LOL...

Last edited by roadwarrior; 06-17-13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 09:40 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think YOU'RE failing to see the point. Take the watch analogy: A $100 citizen vs. a $40 Timex. Even though $100 is more than $40 (Hey, I watched Sesame Street.... Yesterday ) $100 is not a huge sum of money- especially for something that will last many years; for somethinjg that will out-last the Timex. And in my case, I have an "Eco-Drive" in which the battery is recharged by the sun, so, so far, in 6 years of ownership, I have never had to replace a battery- not bad for a $99 watch!

Now on the other hand, how much benefit and value would I get if I were to buy a $10K bike, over what I already have in a used Ultegra bike which cost me $700? I love my Ultegra bike, but really, it's not like it's night anjd day above my first entry-level bike. The differences are subtle. I would have felt like I wasted a lot of money had I bought the Ultegra bike brand new for the $3000 it cost then. The difference in the bikes, which just amounts to "feel", is not worth a few thousand dollars.

I think the only "benefit" to a $10K bike, is that you know what all the carbon high-tech and electronic gimmickry is supposed to do for you, and therefor you say "It's the best"; but if you didn't know that, you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that bike and one that cost a quarter as much.

Another thing I've noticed, is that many of the people with these super-expensive bikes, never seem to keep them long. A year or two, and then they're buying a newer one. Why, if they're so great? It's the mindset! Newest; latest; greatest; Can't be seen on an old bike, 'cause a 7 year-old Venge is like a 7 year-old Cadillac and won't impress anyone.
I've spent zero dollars on watches. Ever. Therefor, watches are unnecessary and wasteful and your Citizen is a huge waste of money and you don't deserve it anyway.
Old 06-17-13, 09:43 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I've spent zero dollars on watches. Ever. Therefor, watches are unnecessary and wasteful and your Citizen is a huge waste of money and you don't deserve it anyway.
OK, now you've gone too far. I have a Citizen EcoDrive Skyhawk that I love and if you're going to tell me...

Oh wait, I see what you did there.
Old 06-17-13, 09:43 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Now...if you are going to ride more miles, it will be a lot more enjoyable if you ride a bike with a better frame. A better frame is more expensive. A better bike with a better frame will also come with better wheels. Frame and wheels at #'s 1 and 2 for bike purchasing.

An entry level frame is not going to be as comfortable for longer rides. If you want to ride more miles and do it again the next day, it is a lot more fun on a better bike/frame.

I know...it's complicated.
Old 06-17-13, 09:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Deserve it? If you can afford it, you deserve it.
Just as an aside, that's the core tenet of Calvinism, which has permeated much of America but is not exactly unquestioned truth.
Old 06-17-13, 09:55 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Now...if you are going to ride more miles, it will be a lot more enjoyable if you ride a bike with a better frame. A better frame is more expensive. A better bike with a better frame will also come with better wheels. Frame and wheels at #'s 1 and 2 for bike purchasing.

An entry level frame is not going to be as comfortable for longer rides. If you want to ride more miles and do it again the next day, it is a lot more fun on a better bike/frame.

I know...it's complicated.
So, is this a comfy bike for a long ride?
Old 06-17-13, 09:56 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Just as an aside, that's the core tenet of Calvinism, which has permeated much of America but is not exactly unquestioned truth.
I think a Calvinist would say everyone deserves nothing more than eternal destruction.
Old 06-17-13, 09:57 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pallen
Well, I've never ridden a tri bike and will never compete in one.

That sure is pretty, I should buy one.
Old 06-17-13, 10:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Fitted properly to someone in shape for it? Absolutely. You think elite long-distance triathletes get off the bike and run a marathon stiff and aching?
Old 06-17-13, 10:02 AM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
Can you please be more clear on which group it is you really hate, I'm getting confused...is it foreigners or 1-percenters...?
Why would you assume that I hate any group? Is a dash some kind of covert symbol of hate? Are you stereotyping me because I used a stereotype? Why do you hate people who do not conform to the latest rules of politically-correct nomenclature?

[Believe me, I have been the biggest and most out-spoken critic of our [the US's] involvement in the Mid-East; The so-called "War On Terror"; and the slaughter...errr..."war" in Iraq. Only I usually catch heat from military types because I don't "support the troops". Hah, now I'm getting it from both sides! Can't win!]
Old 06-17-13, 10:07 AM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StupidRider
They do exist. I wouldn't want to chance it, though- hence, I don't play the lottery. (Well that, and because I'm not stupid...]

Old 06-17-13, 10:10 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For someone looking for a tt bike, it's a heckuva lot better than an inexpensive aluminum frame. I'd get into the reasons why (like that nose cone and how it works) but it would be wasted time.
Old 06-17-13, 10:12 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Fitted properly to someone in shape for it? Absolutely. You think elite long-distance triathletes get off the bike and run a marathon stiff and aching?
And they have a totally different setup than say, a pro cyclist doing a time trial. Gotta save those hip flexors for that run.
Old 06-17-13, 10:14 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Old 06-17-13, 10:17 AM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes.
Old 06-17-13, 10:29 AM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CALE262
I can't blame you- that was impossible to resist! (Plus you're from Alberta...my favorite province!)
Old 06-17-13, 10:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
And they have a totally different setup than say, a pro cyclist doing a time trial. Gotta save those hip flexors for that run.
Sure. But look at the name of that bike and tell me it wasn't designed for triathlon.

Edit: Also, much of the difference is due to UCI rules, not what the cyclists would do ideally.
Old 06-17-13, 10:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by sleepy
yes.
wrong
Old 06-17-13, 10:48 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
aOMG! What have I done.....a simple post became a sociological thesis. We all agree those who can do buy better stuff not much more than that. However, it does sux when you have a skill but cannot access the things that make you better. Carry one
I'm not sure we did agree that. Some people can afford to buy more expensive stuff but choose not to, for a variety of reasons.
Old 06-17-13, 10:55 AM
stevebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There should be a government board to determine if you should be allowed to purchase an expensive bike. After examination, the Bike Control Board will determine which level of bike you qualify for, and issue you a permit to purchase a bike in that class or below.

It will be illegal for anyone to sell a bike to someone without the proper permit.

After all, those high-end bike makers have a reputation to uphold, and it causes them irreparable harm each time some noob on an expensive bike gets passed by a schmuck on a $300 clunker.
Old 06-17-13, 11:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Also, no quad-core computers if you're going to do nothing more than play Farmville.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.