Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Could You Survive Without A Car?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Could You Survive Without A Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 03:26 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
This one asks a question with a poor premise; of course anyone can survive car-free. Heck, I could survive without the bicycle, toilet paper or a fork. I've even survived a couple weeks without running water, electricity, grocery stores or much of anything else that didn't fit in my pockets or come from the land. But like Cody Lundin says, survival sucks; I want to live.
I'm sure Dahon Steve won't mind if we change the question slightly for you: Could you live / thrive without a car?
Old 05-09-16, 03:35 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Even posts that promote car-light living are considered to be "toxic and alienating" to some. After all, merely suggesting that people could drive less, or go from two-car to one-car households, or use public transport, or cycle more, is anti-car in the sense that it is a call for less driving and fewer purchases of the cars that you hold sacred.
To me a car is nothing more than a tool that I rarely use, not a religious relic as you imply. Good job supporting my point.
Old 05-09-16, 03:54 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
To me a car is nothing more than a tool that I rarely use, not a religious relic as you imply. Good job supporting my point.
So what is your problem? Which of the posts in this thread do you object to?
Old 05-09-16, 04:00 PM
Emperor Ryker

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here."
No, yes, discussing my lifestyle here, so what's the problem? It doesn't say the answer to both or either of the first two questions needs to be "yes".
Old 05-09-16, 04:13 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Emperor Ryker
No, yes, discussing my lifestyle here, so what's the problem? It doesn't say the answer to both or either of the first two questions needs to be "yes".
You think that's the intent? Would you go to the touring forum to make posts about how you have no interest in touring? Maybe you could go to the mtn bike forum and convince them they should be on road bikes instead?

Last edited by Walter S; 05-09-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 05:01 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So what is your problem? Which of the posts in this thread do you object to?
The hostile responses to those who honestly answered the question, no, they could not "survive" without a car. Being "car light" isn't something one should be called to task on.
Old 05-09-16, 05:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Are you at all interested in living car-free? If you aren't, why do you keep posting here?
I experienced both car-light and car-free lifestyle for a few years and I still use my bikes regularly for transportation. I speak from personal experiences and from what I see happening around my city.
Old 05-09-16, 05:58 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This forum is for both the "car free", AND the "car light". The constant anti car rancor of a few is toxic, and alienating to those in the latter half of that equation.
Even posts that promote car-light living are considered to be "toxic and alienating" to some. After all, merely suggesting that people could drive less, or go from two-car to one-car households, or use public transport, or cycle more, is anti-car in the sense that it is a call for less driving and fewer purchases of the cars that you hold sacred.
I must be missing this toxic rancor.

I am barely car-light - two able bodied adults in my family, two cars sitting in the driveway. I've mentioned this multiple times on this forum, and I've NEVER been attacked, criticized or insulted because of my use of a car. People have put forth numerous ideas on how I might reduce or eliminate car use. Just what I'd expect on a "Living Car Free" forum.

But guess what - I don't believe cars are a universal good. I don't think society's increased dependence on them is a good thing. I think they are a horrendous money suck.

I guess you can call me an anti-car car owner. Who is very interested in the topic of Living Car Free. And delighted to find other "car haters" here.
Old 05-09-16, 06:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
People have put forth numerous ideas on how I might reduce or eliminate car use. Just what I'd expect on a "Living Car Free" forum.
And none of those ideas which you got from this forum were practical and worked in real life because you're still dependant on 2 cars.
Old 05-09-16, 06:42 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And none of those ideas which you got from this forum were practical and worked in real life because you're still dependant on 2 cars.
Hmmm . . .

I guess that means we'll have to judge the usefulness of the road racing forum by how the members do in road races. If they don't win races, then the forum must be useless. You know what they say - second place is the first loser. No way are all those folks winning races.

And I wonder what the stats for the bicycle commuting forum are. Plenty of those folks ADMIT to only occasionally commuting by bicycle! Another gigantic forum failure.

I've even seen people who are younger than 50 post in the "50 Plus" forum.

You know, you might be right. These forums are useless, a tremendous waste of time. Internet Brands is going to be so upset when they find out they are not advancing humanity.
Old 05-09-16, 07:16 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The hostile responses to those who honestly answered the question, no, they could not "survive" without a car. Being "car light" isn't something one should be called to task on.
Please be more specific. Which of the posts are hostile?
Old 05-09-16, 08:38 PM
Emperor Ryker

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
You think that's the intent? Would you go to the touring forum to make posts about how you have no interest in touring? Maybe you could go to the mtn bike forum and convince them they should be on road bikes instead?
If I stumbled upon the boards and there was an open debate like the one we have here on whether you like touring or mountain biking, then I'd participate, yeah. Or what exactly do you think was the OP trying to do when he asked the question if it was supposedly self-evident that everyone's answer would be yes?
Old 05-09-16, 09:29 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Hmmm . . .

I guess that means we'll have to judge the usefulness of the road racing forum by how the members do in road races. If they don't win races, then the forum must be useless. You know what they say - second place is the first loser. No way are all those folks winning races.

And I wonder what the stats for the bicycle commuting forum are. Plenty of those folks ADMIT to only occasionally commuting by bicycle! Another gigantic forum failure.

I've even seen people who are younger than 50 post in the "50 Plus" forum.

You know, you might be right. These forums are useless, a tremendous waste of time. Internet Brands is going to be so upset when they find out they are not advancing humanity.
*sigh*
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.