Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Holdsworth Here!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Holdsworth Here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 07:47 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 249 Posts
I just picked up this Holdsworth a couple hours ago. I believe it is a Professional but haven't done much investigation. It is a bit of mix of components. Campy Nuovo Record rd, fd, headset, shifters and wheelset. Stronglight crankset, Phil bb and Grand Compe brakes. The rd is Pat. 71 so I am guessing it is an early '70s bike.
Bad news: the frame and wheelset were rattle can painted (yes I said wheelset).
Good news: It was crazy cheap and I have spare Campy parts to replace all the non Campy bits.
Here is a picture from the ad.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
New Picture (2).bmp (1.98 MB, 804 views)

Last edited by rjhammett; 12-01-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 02:51 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 185 Posts

1983 Holdsworth Campagnolo Delta Italia
Likes For Johno59:
Old 06-09-19, 06:11 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59

1983 Holdsworth Campagnolo Delta Italia
No proper drive side photo? That looks like magnificent fun... Crazy!

-Gregory
Old 06-09-19, 08:57 PM
Rexnuktia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The campy stuff looks real cool. I too am searching for a Campy Nuovo Record rd for an Austro Diamler Superleicht I am resurecting.
Old 06-10-19, 01:31 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

For some inexplicable reason the frame was built to take 28 inch wheels. 700c wheels were 40 mm too small. These are 27 inch and I had to lower the mount for the Delta caliper brakes about 20mm to get the brake pad to reach the rim. I have no idea were to buy 28 inch racing tires that will fit the chainstay gap on a road frame.
Old 06-25-19, 11:02 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 123 Posts
An interesting "little" Holdsworth project

Hi folks,

This is a re-post to get this into the proper thread and provide some up dates. Sorry for a senior moment.
I’ve just started a project that I’d like to share with you and possibly get some suggestions. First, a bit of history: It sat in the co-op where I volunteer for several months. The original plan was for one of the senior guys to refurbish it and sell as a vintage. After some discussion, it was decided that it wouldn’t fit with our customer base and it continued to sit. I picked it up for $100 late last year, although, it’s much too small for me.[img]file:///C:\Users\VAN&NA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif[/img]

I thought that the dear wife might like it, but she’s convinced she needs a step-thru frame. So, it’s turned into an interesting project.

According to the serial number (43318) it’s probably a 1975 Holdsworth. It doesn’t have a model label, but appears to be a Mistral. It has unlabelled forged dropouts/fork ends and the remnants of a Reynolds double butted 531 label. It’s set up as a tourer with a T-A triple CS (46-41-26), a weird semi-close ratio 5 speed (15-26), Campagnolo Rallye derailleurs, Suntour bars ends, Campagnolo headset, Universal Mod 61 center pulls, randonneur bars and so forth. Front hub is a Campagnolo Nuovo Record LF and the rear is Sunshine Pro-Am LF. These were laced to Super Champion 27 inchers. It’s small, 52cm ST & 53cm TT, both CTC.

Also, there are a few oddities. The only braze-on is a stop for the DT shifter clamp. The rim strips are the old rope style. It was equipped with Michelin Airstop tubes with the removal valve stem. The seat post is an early SR copy of the Campy two bolt. But, a nice sealed bearing BB. The date code on the front hub lock nut is 65. Could this be one of the evolutionary bikes where parts were changed or replaced as needed? Another oddity is that ½ of the chainring spacers were missing. Only three between the outer and middle and only three between the middle and inner. Fortunately we have a LBS in town that carries

The bike appears to have been stored for an extremely long time. Much of the bearing grease was dried, the tires rotted and some surface rust. It seems to have been well taken care of when in use, but saw many miles. The frame has many paint chips and a few sc****s, but no dents or significant rust, plus the alignment is good. The decals are badly chipped. So far, I’ve stripped it down and cleaned/de-rusted the parts and polished some. During the cold weather, I got a front Sunshine Pro-Am hub to match the rear and built a new set of 700C wheels. Next step is to finish the rust removal on the frame, clean up the paint and do some touch up. I really don’t want to redo the paint or the decals as a tribute to the miles this bike has seen.

There’re a few things that I would like the members’ inputs on. 1. The Universal brakes are activated by a very nice set of Mafac road levers with Mafac embossed hoods. The hoods are a bit hardened, but are not cracked, torn and are cosmetically good looking. I was thinking of replacing the Universal calipers with Mafac Racers and after market pads. 2. I have a set of Suntour Vx-GT derailleurs and a set of Suntour Cyclone GT derailleurs. I’m thinking that either of these would function better and match the shifters. I’ve attached a picture of the frame set. Sorry, I’ve changed computers and can’t find my “before” pix.

Moving right along a couple of weeks later:

I’ve gotten the frame cleaned, rubbed out, the rust removed/treated and touchup paint on the chips. I’ve began installing components. Decided to go with Suntour Vx derailleurs and Mafac Racer brakes as the are more in tune with the touring setup. It’s got a new SRAM chain and a recycled Shimano six speed freewheel. I’m trying to find a better looking 80mm stem and will start running cables and housing in the next couple of days. I hope to have it on the road by this coming weekend. Stay tuned for further updates and pix.

Thanks and regards,

Van

Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 07-04-19, 10:23 AM
Johno59

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi folks,

This is a re-post to get this into the proper thread and provide some up dates. Sorry for a senior moment.
I’ve just started a project that I’d like to share with you and possibly get some suggestions. First, a bit of history: It sat in the co-op where I volunteer for several months. The original plan was for one of the senior guys to refurbish it and sell as a vintage. After some discussion, it was decided that it wouldn’t fit with our customer base and it continued to sit. I picked it up for $100 late last year, although, it’s much too small for me.[img]file:///C:\Users\VAN&NA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif

I thought that the dear wife might like it, but she’s convinced she needs a step-thru frame. So, it’s turned into an interesting project.

According to the serial number (43318) it’s probably a 1975 Holdsworth. It doesn’t have a model label, but appears to be a Mistral. It has unlabelled forged dropouts/fork ends and the remnants of a Reynolds double butted 531 label. It’s set up as a tourer with a T-A triple CS (46-41-26), a weird semi-close ratio 5 speed (15-26), Campagnolo Rallye derailleurs, Suntour bars ends, Campagnolo headset, Universal Mod 61 center pulls, randonneur bars and so forth. Front hub is a Campagnolo Nuovo Record LF and the rear is Sunshine Pro-Am LF. These were laced to Super Champion 27 inchers. It’s small, 52cm ST & 53cm TT, both CTC.

Also, there are a few oddities. The only braze-on is a stop for the DT shifter clamp. The rim strips are the old rope style. It was equipped with Michelin Airstop tubes with the removal valve stem. The seat post is an early SR copy of the Campy two bolt. But, a nice sealed bearing BB. The date code on the front hub lock nut is 65. Could this be one of the evolutionary bikes where parts were changed or replaced as needed? Another oddity is that ½ of the chainring spacers were missing. Only three between the outer and middle and only three between the middle and inner. Fortunately we have a LBS in town that carries

The bike appears to have been stored for an extremely long time. Much of the bearing grease was dried, the tires rotted and some surface rust. It seems to have been well taken care of when in use, but saw many miles. The frame has many paint chips and a few sc****s, but no dents or significant rust, plus the alignment is good. The decals are badly chipped. So far, I’ve stripped it down and cleaned/de-rusted the parts and polished some. During the cold weather, I got a front Sunshine Pro-Am hub to match the rear and built a new set of 700C wheels. Next step is to finish the rust removal on the frame, clean up the paint and do some touch up. I really don’t want to redo the paint or the decals as a tribute to the miles this bike has seen.

There’re a few things that I would like the members’ inputs on. 1. The Universal brakes are activated by a very nice set of Mafac road levers with Mafac embossed hoods. The hoods are a bit hardened, but are not cracked, torn and are cosmetically good looking. I was thinking of replacing the Universal calipers with Mafac Racers and after market pads. 2. I have a set of Suntour Vx-GT derailleurs and a set of Suntour Cyclone GT derailleurs. I’m thinking that either of these would function better and match the shifters. I’ve attached a picture of the frame set. Sorry, I’ve changed computers and can’t find my “before” pix.

Moving right along a couple of weeks later:

I’ve gotten the frame cleaned, rubbed out, the rust removed/treated and touchup paint on the chips. I’ve began installing components. Decided to go with Suntour Vx derailleurs and Mafac Racer brakes as the are more in tune with the touring setup. It’s got a new SRAM chain and a recycled Shimano six speed freewheel. I’m trying to find a better looking 80mm stem and will start running cables and housing in the next couple of days. I hope to have it on the road by this coming weekend. Stay tuned for further updates and pix.

Thanks and regards,

Van

Holdsworth had some really high end stuff going on at that time. I had a barend shifter, campag hubbed, Mavic piano wired tubbed 531 frame with Campag dropouts, an aero Campag seatpost and a triple TA chainset that had a monster Campag 60 tooth chainring. The mechs were Suntour if my memory serves me correctly.
Around that time Team Holdsworth were a force in Pro cycling.
Old 08-24-19, 08:20 AM
badger61

Bikes: Holdsworth Special; Trek 640; Peugeot UO-10, All-Pro 3 spd.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Swin1. What did you end up deciding for the brakes? I'm updating some components on my Holdsworth Special (not much is original) and want to update the old Dia Compe sidepulls. I was thinking new Tektro long reach side-pulls but see many of the Holdsworths had centerpulls, so was thinking of going to some old Weineman centerpulls I have. I would have to find some cable hangers.
Old 10-24-19, 09:29 AM
cdaniels

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
Here is my Holdsworth that I just finished a couple weeks ago. It has all Campagnolo Triumph parts. Was made from an Elan to look like a professional. At least as close as I could make it. All work was done by me at my house, including paint. Decals are from H.Lloyd. The last picture is how it was when I received it.

Likes For cdaniels:
Old 10-27-19, 06:55 PM
trgz

Bikes: Thorn Audax, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Here is my Holdsworth that I just finished a couple weeks ago. It has all Campagnolo Triumph parts. Was made from an Elan to look like a professional. At least as close as I could make it. All work was done by me at my house, including paint. Decals are from H.Lloyd. The last picture is how it was when I received it.

Gorgeous - may I ask how you got such a nice paint job 'at home'?
Old 10-30-19, 08:15 AM
cdaniels

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
I use to restore cars for a living some years ago so laying down paint is not an issue. But the frame was painted on a calm day and as soon as it could be moved it was placed inside my garage and the door shut to keep it clean as possible.
Likes For cdaniels:
Old 11-08-19, 04:41 PM
trgz

Bikes: Thorn Audax, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's mildly off-topic but for those interested in (classic) Holdsworths, and that haven't seen the news, here's a testament to their longevity (though I guess that not all 1 million miles were on that '70s Holdsworth)
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...n-miles-442080
(Admin - please feel free to remove this if it is out of place)
Old 11-16-19, 09:11 PM
JayVee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here’s the Holdsworth Special I built in ‘79, and I’ve been riding it ever since! It has its original Campy Nouvo Record group with Avocet headset, Edco bottom bracket, Bullseye pulleys, and Rigida rims. I updated the stem and handlebars this week.

Old 11-17-19, 09:58 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry, not sorry...but Planet X's revival of Holdsworth was mentioned earlier in this thread and I don't get to post much in this sub-forum

Got the frame a few years ago to build my wife a bike so we could "do something together", but after she informed me that she had zero interest in riding - it turned into my "beach cruiser"...

Old 11-17-19, 10:15 AM
Bicyclz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
I've had 3 La Queldas & I'm just shipping my last one...

I'm just too old now: )
Here's another in original paint.

You can't see too many LQs: )
Old 11-17-19, 10:17 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 870 Posts
Planet X, huh? Was there a total lapse in production between the "final" Marlboro ownership years and the new owners?

I have yet to come across another Marlboro-era Holdsworth or any Holdsworths built since then (mid 80's iir) until your bike turned up here.

So I'm trying to perhaps fill in the history book here. There could have been continuous production for all I know, that might have been limited to the British market(?).

Editing here, just saw your post Bicyclz, after I hit SEND. Quite the packing job! And nice Milremo stem there.

Last edited by dddd; 11-17-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-17-19, 12:27 PM
amedias

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
Ive got two Holdsworth builds on the go at the moment, will sort pics when they’re more presentable...

The first is a 1972 Mistral in purple with chrome socks which is complete but needs a total rebuild, not sure if I’ll also swap some bits around or not but Mistrals make great versatile rides so looking forward to getting it going again.

the second is really something special.... a 1936 Cyclone road/path, in a lovely slightly metallic blue with chrome socks. This one is a bare frame and forks with the original headclip headset but is going to be a challenge to find appropriate parts for. I’ve got a decent stash of 40’s and 50’s bits but nothing older so I might do a ‘sympathetic’ build with functional 40’s bits rather than late 30’s but it’s going to be a slow project either way!
Old 12-15-19, 10:48 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Just completed.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 12-15-19, 12:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked 6,548 Times in 3,757 Posts
I probably haven't been paying attention but that MacGyver hack on the bottle cage is genius!

Very good workaround when no cage bosses.

Oh and fantastic job on the whole thing, nothing like classic British steel.
Old 12-15-19, 01:17 PM
rjhammett

Thanks. I have used clamps on bikes without bosses for bottle cages but I didn't want to scrape up the the finish/decals of the bike. I got the idea from looking at some vintage pictures where the bottle cage was installed on the front of the bike. I had purchased the Minoura BH-60 contraption to mount on the bars but it looked clunky so I built a holder using a Cateye reflector mount. I like the look a lot better than the look of the Minoura.

Originally Posted by merziac
I probably haven't been paying attention but that MacGyver hack on the bottle cage is genius!

Very good workaround when no cage bosses.

Oh and fantastic job on the whole thing, nothing like classic British steel.
Old 12-15-19, 03:26 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked 6,548 Times in 3,757 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Thanks. I have used clamps on bikes without bosses for bottle cages but I didn't want to scrape up the the finish/decals of the bike. I got the idea from looking at some vintage pictures where the bottle cage was installed on the front of the bike. I had purchased the Minoura BH-60 contraption to mount on the bars but it looked clunky so I built a holder using a Cateye reflector mount. I like the look a lot better than the look of the Minoura.
Absolutely, band clamps are a no go for me on something nice, especially with decals in the way, this is awesome imo.

Back in the day it was somewhat unavoidable, now days this far down the line it is untenable.
Old 12-18-19, 03:20 AM
Johno59

Holdsworth sold to Falcon

Originally Posted by dddd
Planet X, huh? Was there a total lapse in production between the "final" Marlboro ownership years and the new owners?

I have yet to come across another Marlboro-era Holdsworth or any Holdsworths built since then (mid 80's iir) until your bike turned up here.

So I'm trying to perhaps fill in the history book here. There could have been continuous production for all I know, that might have been limited to the British market(?).

Editing here, just saw your post Bicyclz, after I hit SEND. Quite the packing job! And nice Milremo stem there.
​​​​​​ The business started going downhil at the end of the 1970s. By 1986 it was kaput and the brand sold to Falcon which was crap as well. Planet X resurrected it in 2011 in 753 Reynolds. They claim the bikes are made in the UK but I suspect that is bull.
I don't know what they are like but they aren't cheap. It remains to be seen if they last 50 - 60 years like the originals.

Last edited by Johno59; 12-18-19 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-19-19, 10:27 PM
rjhammett

Originally Posted by Johno59
​​​​​​ The business started going downhil at the end of the 1970s. By 1986 it was kaput and the brand sold to Falcon which was crap as well.
There are some exceptions to the comment of Falcon bikes being crap. Many were but not all. My daughter has a mid '80s Victory which is a very nice bike. Top quality Reynolds 531P tubes.

Old 12-20-19, 01:11 AM
Johno59

Falcon Jewell

Originally Posted by rjhammett
There are some exceptions to the comment of Falcon bikes being crap. Many were but not all. My daughter has a mid '80s Victory which is a very nice bike. Top quality Reynolds 531P tubes.

Falcon made fine bikes,including a 'Jewell' range that had glazed enamelled lugs,that was more expensive than a Hetchin. But that was BITD when their were dozens of really good to fantastic British marques. However by the mid 1980s they had all succumbed to the folly of competing on price against cheap Chinese imports.
Old 12-21-19, 05:34 AM
Johno59

Holdsworth 753 tube 'Heritage' is no more

The copy of the old-school Holdsworth put out in 2016 was a limited edition one off. Planet X have now gone full plastic on their Holdsworth range - sloping top tube, straight forks , generic Lego mode - just kept the orange frame and blue badges.
History repeating itself it would seem.
I think I'll throw up now.

Last edited by Johno59; 12-23-19 at 12:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.