Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My twitter feed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 04:46 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Has anyone here used the heated toe warmers things that go inside shoes? I used them today in my 30 degree CX race. Highly recommended.
Old 11-28-10, 05:18 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Has anyone here used the heated toe warmers things that go inside shoes? I used them today in my 30 degree CX race. Highly recommended.
Toasty Toes? Love'm.
Old 11-28-10, 05:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8444 Post(s)
Liked 9,397 Times in 4,618 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Thurlow Rogers is a legend, not just a local one.

At Red Trolley earlier this year I got a picture taken with him. Felt corny but didn't know if I'd see him in a racing kit again. He was a good sport about it, being sick and all, even straightened up his jersey and such. He must have figured that I was old if I thought he was the schnizzle.

To get third in the Peace Race with virtually no team support... that's incredible. It's similar in accomplishment to Lemond's 89 Tour win, where he basically had no team shortly after the team time trial. He had to ride off of others for most of the race. He had no back up if anything happened. He was lucky and made it. Thurlow basically did the same thing in the Peace Race ("amateur" Eastern Bloc's highest level stage race) - he rode at the front every day, made all the decisive moves, and eventually conceded time to only two riders.

In 1990 Lemond flatted, everyone attacked him, they gained about 2 minutes on him (he punctured on descent and had to wait for the team car) and only after a long, long chase he got back on (Duclos Lasalle and Eric Boyer? were in a break up the road and sat up and waited 7 or 8 minutes for him - they made the difference). If that had happened the year before it'd have been over. Teams really help at times. Thurlow didn't have one to speak of in the Peace Race, 1983 I think.

I don't know what really happened to Thurlow after the 84 Olympics but it seemed that he peaked cycling-wise in that time frame. Him and the now-elder Stetinas, Dale and Wayne.
I saw him at a race here last year and after following a couple teammates he gapped the P12 field in the last lap and it looked like he had more left at the finish. I think he was 46 at the time.
His sister, mother, and his late father used to ride with our club years ago. His mother was a kick-ass club rider.
Old 11-28-10, 05:50 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I think i might get this instead, and I don't even use run campy

It might not have thick material, but anything right now beats my old Canari jacket that has only a thin membrane
Old 11-28-10, 05:54 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Take a look at Mavic's jackets. Jersey-like fit, but still warm and layerable. I have one on test right now that I love (better than the half dozen other jackets that are in right now). Cyclone are Echappee are both great, latter is warmer.

Last edited by ZeCanon; 11-28-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 05:55 PM
lukasz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode all of last winter and just layered jerseys (wool), with a nice windproof shell (eVent 2.0 material). Might want to give that a shot. It is certainly more versatile than a winter jacket. I have one of those too (some obscenely expensive Castelli piece that I bought for chump change one summer on ebay) and I believe it left the closet once last winter.

Also, one of these is essential, at least for me. A warm neck is a happy neck: https://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product...ex-neck-gaiter

edit: of course for the price of two wool jerseys and a shell, you could get a winter jacket.
Old 11-28-10, 05:57 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Agreed, super warm, thick jackets are useless. Layering is much more versatile. I like jackets that are medium weight (slightly thicker than a LS jersey) but still fit like a jersey. Flapping is annoying.
Old 11-28-10, 06:02 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
My wife just brought me corn chips. This is like bringing hookers to Charlie Sheen.

I'm going on a Charlie Sheen analogy binge BTW.

I bought two pairs of Assos bibs a few years ago. They fit me about as well as monogamy fit Charlie Sheen.
I like voler, even though I've heard you and EDR claim you guys think they're one level below sandpaper; I even do the fred bit and wear Floyd's old Ouch kit every now and then because it is a voler kit (and it really was Floyd's kit, it even came with transderm patches). I'll say my Assos jersey was great, and I like their chamois cream, but I've never seen the point in spending $300 for a pair of bibs.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm happy with what I've got.
Old 11-28-10, 06:03 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Wwcsd?
an 8-ball, then call his lawyer.
Old 11-28-10, 06:07 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by Greg180
My solution to my reading habit. It is only three miles from my house. Whatever you buy you sell or trade back. Everything is recyclable...
ding ding ding.

I like this.

We have a twice annual book sale here in Gainesville. You can get a lot of good stuff for $0.25-0.50 if you look carefully. For $20 I walk out of there with a couple of lead lined grocery bags filled with books. When I'm done with them, I take them to work, or leave them at coffee shops (not the ones B goes to), or hotels/B&B's.

My latest indulgence has been John D. MacDonald. I've read a dozen of the Travis McGee books since the second week of October and can't believe I missed those before..
Old 11-28-10, 06:10 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by hammy56
any of you ever suffer from stomach cramps? Occasionally I get a nasty one. I did today. I cant figure out why. Food and drink are consistent...happens during longish (1-2 hr) hard efforts.
I beat my cranks in anger for about 3.5 hours yesterday (AP was 270w for a 3 hour period). I cramped, but not in the tummy.

What food and drink do you use? And how much?
Old 11-28-10, 06:10 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by botto
best jacket out there is the assos intermediate. can be worn in temps ranging from 55° to 20°, probably even colder.
shill.

Old 11-28-10, 06:11 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
I think i might get this instead, and I don't even use run campy

It might not have thick material, but anything right now beats my old Canari jacket that has only a thin membrane
Campy makes a really nice jacket. I've had mine for 5-6 years.
Old 11-28-10, 06:11 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
it will go nowhere. classic case of people who "know they are right and damn the torpedoes".

I don't even have a horse in the race. I just get tired of all the cockamamie posturing being passed off as science.
I can tell you have an engineering background..
Old 11-28-10, 06:12 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by kensuf
I like voler, even though I've heard you and EDR claim you guys think they're one level below sandpaper;
That was the chamois in my Champsys skinsuit. Voler stuff is just OK.
Old 11-28-10, 06:13 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

I can tell you have an engineering background..
I build fly rods.
Old 11-28-10, 06:14 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

That was the chamois in my Champsys skinsuit. Voler stuff is just OK.
Oh yeah, I read you on the champsys stuff. Ouch, I think I just got a sympathetic boil thinking about it..
Old 11-28-10, 06:15 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Our society is way too dependent on computers. My wife needs a prescription refilled but the pharmacy's computers are down. They can fill it at another location 40 miles away, but they can't call the other location, get the information, pull it from their own shelf, and hand it to us.
Old 11-28-10, 06:16 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I beat my cranks in anger for about 3.5 hours yesterday (AP was 270w for a 3 hour period). I cramped, but not in the tummy.

What food and drink do you use? And how much?
I eat a bowl of cereal. And maybe a gu during the ride. And a scoop of heed in my bottles. (for 2+ hr rides. )
Old 11-28-10, 06:18 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I eat a bowl of cereal. And maybe a gu during the ride. And a scoop of heed in my bottles. (for 2+ hr rides. )
Lactose intolerant maybe?
Old 11-28-10, 06:21 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road a cross race today. Nothing to note performance wise, but a nice change of pace from eating myself silly.

I did ride up the run up twice. Woot.
Old 11-28-10, 06:24 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by umd
Our society is way too dependent on computers. My wife needs a prescription refilled but the pharmacy's computers are down. They can fill it at another location 40 miles away, but they can't call the other location, get the information, pull it from their own shelf, and hand it to us.
That's what street drugs are for.
Old 11-28-10, 06:24 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nate552
Lactose intolerant maybe?
Lactaid for me.
Old 11-28-10, 06:30 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Ditch the heed. Personally, I get hideous gas from that crap and one of my former teammates threatened to throw me out of his car at 60mph because of the farting. I think it's because of the xylitol.

If you're sold on Hammer because of their wonderful newsletters and RTC's signature, then Hammer's perpetuium is "decent" for long base type rides, but when you want to put the hammer down it doesn't do the job either. You can manage by adding a gel, but it's still not great. Plus, it curdles in the summer (yikes!)

Go with something a little more basic, gu brew, clif drink, dedicated athlete, or good old fashioned gatorade.
Old 11-28-10, 06:32 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

"Spiderman the Musical", with music by Bono. Wow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.