Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

At the co-op

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

At the co-op

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 02:42 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Liked 2,095 Times in 761 Posts
The vintage stuff they ask me to price.

I never know.

yes, I should ask in the “What is it worth” section.

but what should I ask that makes it move?
Old 05-07-24, 04:56 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Liked 3,374 Times in 2,115 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Ok
four countries are represented!!

what a weird mix

size 54 top tube

Coins?

Campy

Like new rims

France in the house

Suntour….of course

GS

America
Tubes are probably Taiwan or China. Maybe the bar wrap?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-16-24, 07:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,338 Times in 2,433 Posts
I’ve seen some really bizarre things at the co-op but this is a first. Someone pulled a tire liner out of an old tire that I thought was one of the kevlar ones. Nope. It was Norton emery cloth, 224 grit. That begs the question of what was it supposed to do? Sand off whatever makes the puncture? Or was it there to keep the tire from creeping at low pressures?

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-16-24, 10:29 PM
Robvolz 

That Gios, we've put a $375 price on it.

Not a proper groupo, but them thar parts alone could net that. swap a couple out. Or just ride it.
Old 05-18-24, 01:07 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Liked 1,132 Times in 836 Posts
That Gios, we've put a $375 price on it.

Not a proper groupo, but them thar parts alone could net that. swap a couple out. Or just ride it.
a very good asking price, IMO, especially if it's in ready-to-ride shape
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-18-24, 07:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,187 Posts
Robvolz ,
I might be interested in the Gios, if Alexthe is not. It is my size, and even though I don't need it, it might be one I would be able to save using Campy parts and restoring it to original specs. I would be interested in what the shipping costs to Middle Indiana might be. Smiles, MH
Old 05-18-24, 11:09 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve seen some really bizarre things at the co-op but this is a first. Someone pulled a tire liner out of an old tire that I thought was one of the kevlar ones. Nope. It was Norton emery cloth, 224 grit. That begs the question of what was it supposed to do? Sand off whatever makes the puncture? Or was it there to keep the tire from creeping at low pressures?

very weird.
Maybe somebody thought anything the right width made from fabric was a reasonable substitute for Velox or Zefal rim strip?
Old 05-22-24, 11:55 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 1,971 Times in 886 Posts
Tonight was an interesting shift at the co-op.

I had known for some time that the external threading on a Uniglide / early Hyperglide freehub mechanism was 1.37 x 24 - same as English-threaded freewheels and bottom brackets. I'd even used BB lockrings as a guide/shield while grinding down a few freehub bodies to fit 11 tooth small cogs as suggested on Sheldon's site. And I suppose I could have conceived that someone might try to thread a freewheel onto a freehub. But I didn't put two and two together until a customer said "I found the gears, but now the axle is too short", and brought this to the counter:

Not only had they tried to thread a freewheel onto a freehub, but a 9-speed e-bike freewheel at that.

Fortunately, it was easily dismantled with a puller and large pliers.

Then a complaint about a brand-new tube going flat. Turned out this big nasty was still in the carcass, plain as day:

Pulled it out plus several more, explained to the kid how to check and clean a tire, then patched the tube.

Ended up staying late to finish up, and was very happy to have the Ridekick trailer help my tired legs home.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-23-24, 03:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,622 Times in 1,525 Posts
@RCMoeur, wow, customers think of new stuff all the time. The human mind is an amazing thing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-12-24, 03:08 PM
Robvolz 

The gios…still here
sequoia, still here

and today….

this screw and glue specialized Allez
size 58 c-c and top tube 57 c-c…$200

plus this Houston based Romac in size 60
now $300

and lowered the price of this Faggin to $250

and this just happened

epic w mostly dura ace 7800

Titanium dura ace cogs

Last edited by Robvolz; 06-12-24 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-12-24, 06:16 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Liked 3,821 Times in 1,539 Posts
Maybe I'm too cheap, but the prices I see at co-ops are too high. They get all this for free. If it is around for more than a month or two, it's too expensive. A co-op near me has had the same Colnago for like 2 years now. Obviously it is priced too high, but the price is never adjusted. It's not the only bike hanging out for that long, either. At this same co-op, I recently tried to buy a seatpost, picked from their seatpost bin, and when I got to the counter, I was asked to pay more because it was a nicer than average seatpost. When I asked what were they expecting someone to pay for it, they said eBay has these all the time for about $70-$80, so in that range. Bin says $15. I handed it back to them so they could put a $75 tag on it and let it hang out in their glass case indefinitely. Co-ops are the thrift stores of the bike world. Nobody goes to a thrift store and expects to pay retail, and a local co-op trying to compete with eBay on prices seems like a losing strategy.

About the only good prices I see are on the complete bikes that they don't have the time to go through and garner zero interest from anyone except nerdy people like you and me. Once it goes through the hands of the co-op volunteer mechanic, it is a 500%-1000% increase in price (i.e. price btw $500-$700, regardless of the tier of the bike).

EDIT: Its worth reiterating that I'm too cheap

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-16-24 at 09:15 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-12-24, 11:13 PM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,853 Times in 1,009 Posts
The gios…still here
sequoia, still here

and today….

this screw and glue specialized Allez
size 58 c-c and top tube 57 c-c…$200

plus this Houston based Romac in size 60
now $300

and lowered the price of this Faggin to $250
Those lowered are high priced compared to what I see at the local coop, bike thrifts, even more than local brick & morter new/used shop.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-13-24, 06:27 AM
Robvolz 

Show me a Romec comp and I'll lower the price.

They can't all be $25 Huffy Aerowinds.

Last edited by Robvolz; 06-13-24 at 06:42 AM.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 06-13-24, 07:16 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,100 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Maybe I'm too cheap, but the prices I see at co-ops are too high. They get all this for free. If it is around for more than a month or two, it's too expensive. A co-op near me has had the same Colnago for like 2 years now. Obviously it is priced too high, but the price is never adjusted. It's not the only bike hanging out for that long, either. At this same co-op, I recently tried to buy a seatpost, picked from their seatpost bin, and when I got to the counter, I was asked to pay more because it was a nicer than average seatpost. When I asked what were they expecting someone to pay for it, they said eBay has these all the time for about $70-$80, so in that range. Bin says $15. I handed it back to them so they could put a $75 tag on it and let it hang out in their glass case indefinitely. Co-ops are the thrift stores of the bike world. Nobody goes to a thrift store and expects to pay retail, and a local co-op trying to compete with eBay on prices seems like a losing strategy.

About the only good prices I see are on the complete bikes that they don't have the time to go through and garner zero interest from anyone except nerdy people like you and me. Once it goes through the hands of the co-op volunteer mechanic, it is a 500%-1000% increase in price (i.e. price btw $500-$700, regardless of the tier of the bike).

"Market price" all depends on where the market is. If they are expecting eBay prices, then they should be selling on eBay. My aunt did that at a gift shop where she worked when they had excess inventory that they wanted to liquidate and the local market was limited.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 06-13-24, 07:45 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Originally Posted by Pompiere
"Market price" all depends on where the market is. If they are expecting eBay prices, then they should be selling on eBay. My aunt did that at a gift shop where she worked when they had excess inventory that they wanted to liquidate and the local market was limited.

It is completely my subjective opinion, and the only thing I can do is either choose to shop there and be okay with this prices, or not.

I think what it means is I may stop by to look at recent donations that they haven’t gone through, but nothing else. In a world where we keep hearing how the used market is tanking, especially on older stuff, it was an amusing experience to instead see prices get raised - which has also happened before with this co-op. Regardless…I’m but one, spitting into the wind and I know it

Old 06-13-24, 07:47 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

It was $30, FYI

On a serious note, I would simply let the market decide on those prices. Put whatever price you want on it, if it doesn’t sell in a month, reduce by half, if it doesn’t sell for another month, reduce by half again, and if it still doesn’t sell it gets recycled.

Using comps to determine co-op prices doesn’t compute for me, because for an equitable comparison, you would need to find Romecs from other co-ops that recently sold, which you won’t find.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-13-24 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-13-24, 08:02 AM
Robvolz 

Its not my co-op.

For pricing, you gather three people, two volunteers and a paid individual and you say, "price?, 1,2,3."

All three blurt out a price and you take the middle.

If it doesn't sell, we build bikes and give them to those in need of transportation.

Avoiding the landfill is the whole game.

The co-op is funded more from grants than sales, followed by repairs.

Lastly, we take kids and have them pick a frame and build a bike from parts, making it their own.
Old 06-13-24, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,338 Times in 2,433 Posts

Given your name and the description of the shop, I know which one you are talking about. I have a very long association with them as a volunteer. You are mistaken on several points. First, the bikes that they retail are not prepped by volunteers. They have a staff mechanic that does all that work and he is only one who does it.

Second on price of components, I have never heard any one of the staff asking a much higher price than the bin price. Often, they are sold for less because the shop practices a “price optional” pricing structure. You can pay as little or as much as you like. Yes, there are parts in the case that are more expensive but even those are priced relatively low for what they are.

Third, the “as-is” bikes get sold more often than the prepared retail bikes and there are real gems out on the sidewalk, along with a lot of dirt. People buy the “as-is” bike and go into the volunteer side to work on them.

Finally, yes, the shop works because people donate bikes. They then provide most of those donated bikes at either a very low cost or even no cost depending on the customer and their financial circumstances. The bikes that they do refurbish go to support people who can’t pay more for a much nicer bike. The person who donated the bike wanted it to be used for that purpose. The people who usually buy that kind of bike do so, at least in some part, to support the shop and their mission and programs.

I don’t know what the price on the Colnago that you’ve mentions is but I don’t think it is the price you’ll find in various places on-line. Consider what you would sell the bike for if you owned it or what you would claim the value of the bike for insurance. If you want the bike, buy it and enjoy it while know that the people who work at the shop are trying to do good things for people. The good things those people do has more value than a few hundred dollars.

It was $30, FYI

On a serious note, I would simply let the market decide on those prices. Put whatever price you want on it, if it doesn’t sell in a month, reduce by half, if it doesn’t sell for another month, reduce by half again, and if it still doesn’t sell it gets recycled.

Using comps to determine co-op prices doesn’t compute for me, because for an equitable comparison, you would need to find Romecs from other co-ops that recently sold, which you won’t find.
Why cut the price? It’s not like a co-op has the same pressures are retail shop selling new bikes has. Someone will come along and buy the bike eventually. There’s really no need to go all fire sale on the bikes. The “as-is” bikes out on the sidewalk can be treated more like that then the retail bikes that already have a fair amount of money sunk into them.

Using comparisons to determine prices is perfectly valid. In my long experience with this co-op and others, I generally find their prices to be quite low. As a volunteer, I can pretty much set my own price but often have to get the staff to charge me more​​​​​​​ for the parts I buy because they are priced too low.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-13-24 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-13-24, 09:17 AM
Mr. 66

From the Bike Works yellow house, local bike thrift shop. This was $80, I think I waited a few months before buying.

I also bought a black Romic bike last year, it as a whole bike was less than the bare frame’s lowered price.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 06-13-24 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-14-24, 11:29 AM
Mr. 66

I posted the pictures, the red is a comp, the black I don’t know the model.

What’s the new price?
Old 06-14-24, 12:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,622 Times in 1,525 Posts
I have not been able to volunteer since summer of 2023. If things have not changed, this is the situation:

The coop where I volunteer has a haphazard pricing technique. The volunteer gives a gut feeling. The prices are shockingly low. And they are willing to go down from asking price based on the customer's finances. I remember when we asked $120 for a bike in good working order. The customer said he had no money. So we gave it to him. One of the missions of the coop is to get people rolling. A subway ride is only $2.90, but that is a hardship for some people. It means a lot to us that we can get people going to work or wherever they are going. It's economic enabling.

I saw a high end racing bike (in bad but salvageable condition) go for $250. I objected, but a higher-ranking volunteer said that was in line with the policy, and I accept that.

I volunteer there to show people how to fix their bikes. It gives me a lot of joy. As much as humanly possible, I don't touch the bike. I show them what to do with their hands, because I believe we learn better with our hands than with our eyes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-14-24, 01:39 PM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I posted the pictures, the red is a comp, the black I don’t know the model.

What’s the new price?
you must live in Houston. That's where ROMEC is from if I recall. Cool builds! Congrats on the Viner too.

I will match your price, but shipping is $500.

I kid.

As a collective, I can not price on my own. But, I plan on a "lugged frame sale" real soon and try to blow some of these things out.

All the kids want now are V brakes.
Old 06-14-24, 05:07 PM
Mr. 66

you must live in Houston. That's where ROMEC is from if I recall. Cool builds! Congrats on the Viner too.

I will match your price, but shipping is $500.

I kid.

As a collective, I can not price on my own. But, I plan on a "lugged frame sale" real soon and try to blow some of these things out.

All the kids want now are V brakes.
Houston?! Nah, just up the road from you in the PNW
Old 06-15-24, 01:11 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

people, people...spelling matters.
it's Romic (not ROMEC) and Ray G. (I won't even try with his Polish surname) was originally from Chicago where he raced but also worked for Schwinn, then for AMF, before migrating to Houston and his own frame-bulding business

ROMAN (Ray) J GASIOROWSKI

Born: 09/28/1928 - Passed: 11/16/1996

Ray learned much about bicycle building at the Schwinn factory in Chicago and was close to Rudy Schwinn, one of the old school European engineers that helped make Schwinn the quality name it was. Ray worked as a bicycle design and products engineer. Schwinn actually help fund his industrial engineering studies at IIT Institute. He was involved with Paramount frame building

Ray was a first line racer in Chicago. Ray rode in the Vuelta de Mexico, and was a finalist in Olympic trials back in the '50's. He also raced the "Tour of Somerville" (New Jersey) and did well in it. His army service took him to Europe where he was sponsored by the Army to participate in the Olympic road trials.

Polish eagle on his logo

Ted Ernst in the lead (Ted's still with us in SoCal)
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 06-15-24, 02:44 PM
juvela

Liked 3,511 Times in 2,284 Posts
-----

Mr. 66 -

do you know what years the yellow/orange/red/black Nerozzi transfers in you posted image were in use?

asking because have not seen them previously

---

unworthy1 -

suspect gentleman shown in the race finish photo you posted be Ted Ernst, Senior

the Ted Ernst (Il Grillo) who be yet with us methimks be Ted Ernst Junior

-----

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.