Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Really Disappointed In My Local Shop

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Really Disappointed In My Local Shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 05:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
What's the purpose of this rant anyways ?? Who is in charge of making sales at your LBS, the custormer or the owner of the LBS ??. Stop being such a crybaby. You always have an option to shop online if you don't like your LBS.
Old 05-10-13, 06:50 PM
recumbenttoad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What's the purpose of this rant anyways ?? Who is in charge of making sales at your LBS, the custormer or the owner of the LBS ??. Stop being such a crybaby. You always have an option to shop online if you don't like your LBS.
^^Grow up.

Now, some of you understand why I was disappointed and some of you have missed it completely.

I had been watching this particular bike as it got closer to their two day sale because I knew if they still had it it would be 50% off and it was the only clearance bike in my size. The sale started today (Friday the 10th) and runs again tomorrow (Saturday the 11th). Their stated sales policy for these two days is that the prices are only good for these two days and not a moment before. I knew the bike was still there Wednesday evening because I drove by and saw it though the window. So, I decided to stop by Thursday to see if, in fact, it was going to be 50% off so I could get up Friday and be there at 7:00 am to have a chance at it. When I got there I noticed it was off of the floor, so, I inquired about it and was told it was being held for a customer that would pay for it and pick it up when the sale started. One of the guys that told me this said to me that they are not supposed to do that and they didn't understand why the manager had pulled it for the guy.

As for you guys that say I need to develop a relationship with the bike shop, you assume that I haven't for some reason. I've known all of the guys for at least five years and have known one of them for almost thirty years. They all know me by name, and I buy almost everything bike related that I get from them.

And, I never said that I was angry and I never shed a tear over the missed purchase. I said I was disappointed is all. Hell, I'm sometimes disappointed with the sandwich I get at Subway but that doesn't make me a whiner. It just makes me disappointed.
Old 05-10-13, 10:31 PM
Bikeforumuser0017
Goofy Goober

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bummer. That would piss me off to because how would they know the guy is actually going to pick it up?
Old 05-11-13, 06:22 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by recumbenttoad
^^Grow up.

Now, some of you understand why I was disappointed and some of you have missed it completely.

I had been watching this particular bike as it got closer to their two day sale because I knew if they still had it it would be 50% off and it was the only clearance bike in my size. The sale started today (Friday the 10th) and runs again tomorrow (Saturday the 11th). Their stated sales policy for these two days is that the prices are only good for these two days and not a moment before. I knew the bike was still there Wednesday evening because I drove by and saw it though the window. So, I decided to stop by Thursday to see if, in fact, it was going to be 50% off so I could get up Friday and be there at 7:00 am to have a chance at it. When I got there I noticed it was off of the floor, so, I inquired about it and was told it was being held for a customer that would pay for it and pick it up when the sale started. One of the guys that told me this said to me that they are not supposed to do that and they didn't understand why the manager had pulled it for the guy.

As for you guys that say I need to develop a relationship with the bike shop, you assume that I haven't for some reason. I've known all of the guys for at least five years and have known one of them for almost thirty years. They all know me by name, and I buy almost everything bike related that I get from them.

And, I never said that I was angry and I never shed a tear over the missed purchase. I said I was disappointed is all. Hell, I'm sometimes disappointed with the sandwich I get at Subway but that doesn't make me a whiner. It just makes me disappointed.
Suggest you add a telephone and credit card to your shopping strategy. That way you can easily reserve things you can't access just by looking through a window. Even ocassionally after official store hours if the staff still chooses to answer the phone. I've taken deposits for and sold bikes that were still on the truck and hadn't even gotten through the front door yet.
Old 05-11-13, 09:51 AM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wait for the guy to come pick it up and steal it from him.
Old 05-11-13, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Snooze , you Lose.. now just get something similar for regular price.
Old 05-11-13, 07:18 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
recumbenttoad; FWIW I noticed disappointment in your original post. And it's understandable. If you were feeling any other emotion, it didn't show. Strange how folks get all worked up over some pretty neutral statements, isn't it?

modernjess is a good example of a customer with a relationship with the vendor. Such folks sometimes get special deals and that's a good thing for both vendor and customer. Nothing wrong with that and it sounds as though you could get a special deal as well. On the other hand your LBS might not give a darn.
That happens sometimes, too. It's a pity.

In either case, it didn't seem like you were whining or 'sour-graping'.
Old 05-11-13, 09:17 PM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recumbenttoad Cant be as bad as hat happened to me yesterday my self. I found a long haul trucker at a consinement shop for 25 dollars it was kinda in bad shape dry rotted tires and rusty looking handlebars and no brake cables. I went to the bank to get the money and as I was walking in to get it some dude was walking it out the door and putting it in his truck for his dam kid. Talking about teed off I was. Store dude said it had been there for a month and I had never been in there before lost out on a hell of a deal. and never thought to tell him hold it for me .Maybe next time..

Last edited by wbuttry; 05-13-13 at 09:40 AM.