Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pain in the butt!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pain in the butt!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 08:56 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the long run I have found firm seats are better for the long haul for maintained comfort. I now use a seat that is'nt so cushy but utilize springs relieving much the shock on my frequent city riding.
Old 08-14-17, 12:21 PM
clifftaylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not underestimate the importance of handlebar height - plus or minus 5 or 10mm can make a surprising amount of difference to how your weight is distributed, and hence how your butt feels about life.
Old 08-14-17, 02:19 PM
TexLex100

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clifftaylor
Do not underestimate the importance of handlebar height - plus or minus 5 or 10mm can make a surprising amount of difference to how your weight is distributed, and hence how your butt feels about life.
I try to change my seating position but very seldom use the drops. Always either on the bards or hood. But I am still not sitting upright. I think the frame is a tad big for me. So many variables to play with.. it is overwhelming!!
Old 08-14-17, 06:52 PM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This makes me think of shoes and how women will wear shoes that hurt their feet because they like how they look. Pretty much, guys will never do this because if shoes hurt our feet we just won't put up with them or wear them. But for guys, bicycle seats are an entirely different matter where for some bizarre reason we are willing to put up with a pain in the butt regardless of the alternatives. Because there are shoes that don't hurt...butt, butt, butt.
Old 08-14-17, 07:58 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I did two things that cured my pain from my saddle. First, I bought a Specialized Power Saddle, short nose, huge cut out. Secondly, I changed my form by bending my pelvis instead of my waist and I got a fit which stretched me out. Most saddle pain is caused by sitting too up right and putting too much pressure on your sit bones.
Old 08-14-17, 08:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by crankythunder
My personal observations and road to saddle nirvana consisted of the following:

1) get very personal with a razor in your nether regions. The hair can be caught and pulled each pedal stroke which will hurt a lot. Clear that area out with a razor a couple times a week. I do it daily in the shower.
That's a good point. I'm not gonna do any shaving, but the one place I occasionally experience a little saddle discomfort is hair pulling around the perineum. Usually I wear skin tight Champion boxer/briefs under my tight fitting padded shorts because the mesh pouch keeps Johnson and the twins in place better, with less hair pulling.

3) Get a couple good pair of cycling shorts. Personally, I use the cheap (about $18 bucks) sponeed brand available from china on EBAY and they have a very thick pad but it works for me. at that price, I have a good supply such that I am in a new clean pair every day. In a pinch, I have washed the shorts out in the shower so I had a clean pair for tomorrow when I did not want to do a full load of laundry.
I like the AeroTech Pro shorts with tan and black pad. Only $39, occasionally cheaper on sale. They fit right so I'm not tugging at them. The waistband is comfortable. The leg hem grippers hold but don't irritate my skin.

Only nit I'd pick is I'd like 'em about an inch longer, but my thighs are a bit longer out of proportion to the rest of my legs.
Old 08-15-17, 06:58 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TexLex100
I have been riding my bicycle on and off for the past three years or so. maximum ride was probably 20 miles.
I'm reading between the lines here and thinking a lot more off than on? If that's the case, you may just need to get saddle time. Or at least you won't know if that saddle will work for you until you do.

*****Newsflash - Everyone's butt hurts when they first start riding after being out of the saddle for a while.*****

The saddle you posted looks OK to me, although it may not fit you. I'm sure the leather Brooks saddles are wonderful, but other saddles are super comfortable as well, as long as they fit. My Specialized Phenom never, ever causes me pain on 50+ mile rides.

I've never shaved my butt or used butter or cream, but everyone is different I suppose.
Saddle time + a saddle that fits = comfortable ride
Old 08-15-17, 07:04 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillemasher
*****Newsflash - Everyone's butt hurts when they first start riding after being out of the saddle for a while.*****

Mine doesn't.
Old 08-15-17, 07:26 AM
yakbass

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and find a bike shop that has a saddle loaner deal/program and try all the saddles you can until you find The One. Then buy it from them. Otherwise you too will end up with many, many lightly used saddles (and a still sore butt).

Mike
Old 08-15-17, 08:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
@ bike shops there is a box with 'take-off' saddles , left , new , from people wanting a different saddle than what came stock out of the carton

with new bikes .. those are cheaper to buy than same saddle with the display tag.
Old 08-15-17, 09:02 AM
Rider51

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, S-Works Camber, Eddy Merckx Ti-Ax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The Giant TCX stock saddle is somewhat modeled after that Fizik style, which really works for some people, and not at all for many people.

Agree with others on bike shorts (plus Chamois butter) may be a big help.
Old 08-15-17, 09:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11028 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,172 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Mine doesn't.
Mine, either.

Old 08-15-17, 09:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 11028 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider51
The Giant TCX stock saddle is somewhat modeled after that Fizik style, which really works for some people, and not at all for many people.

Yep, my Propel came with the Arione version and I hated it.

Old 08-15-17, 12:46 PM
TexLex100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider51

I always wear bike shorts when riding the bike, but I never tried the Chamois butter. It is a good point that the TCX saddle is similar to the Fizik, so that I can exclude them. So, I guess I probably need a wider seat. I read a lot about Brooks but I don't think I am up for the long duration of the break in.
Old 08-15-17, 03:29 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TexLex100
I always wear bike shorts when riding the bike, but I never tried the Chamois butter. It is a good point that the TCX saddle is similar to the Fizik, so that I can exclude them. So, I guess I probably need a wider seat. I read a lot about Brooks but I don't think I am up for the long duration of the break in.

You'll ride an terribly uncomfortable saddle for 3 years, but not up for a few weeks of breaking in a Brooks?
Old 08-15-17, 03:38 PM
TexLex100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
You'll ride an terribly uncomfortable saddle for 3 years, but not up for a few weeks of breaking in a Brooks?
No, I would definitely like to switch my saddle but was just wondering whether I should get one that can be comfortable from the get go. I would also probably need to get proper bike fitting as well.
Old 08-23-17, 05:51 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Or---------------that pain can be eliminated by a modern bicycle called a recumbent.
Old 08-23-17, 06:11 AM
on2wheelsks

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
After 3 years your backside should be "broken in". What saddle do you have?
I've been thru several saddles over the years and have settled on this.
Just received mine in the mail yesterday, put it on last night, have a few minor adjustments to make, but I think I am good to go. Plus it looks COOL!
Old 08-28-17, 11:36 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Also, search the web on 'Hogg Selle SMP' for Steve Hogg's perspective on saddles - not because I agree with him (I do), but because he writes clearly so he's easy to evaluate, at least on saddles.
I agree with Hogg too. Getting a Selle SMP was great. I bought 3 (Evolution, Hybrid and Dynamic) and also a similarly shaped carbon saddle from China. The latter, though unpadded, works best for me. There is no pressure on my perineum/prostate.
Old 08-29-17, 06:29 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Pulled the trigger-good day to buy B17 Brooks

I figure one more seat in the science experiment cannot hurt. Pulled the trigger this AM on Brooks B17 Imperial at Na***ar...30% off one item today. I thought the price was right.
Old 08-29-17, 08:15 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Chamois Butter mentioned ^^above^^. This is a good product, some use it, some don't but I believe it is geared toward chafing, some are more prone to chafing than others but I believe that would be more a result of shorts worn, not saddles.

The OP complained of a sore butt & the conversation has centered around saddles and fit.

No amount of Chamois Butter is going to keep your butt from getting sore from a poor fitting saddle.
Old 09-03-17, 11:04 AM
Sunsetman

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it is worth a Fizik Aliante VSX and Specialized Avatar Expert work for me.

I was getting butt sore after 5 miles, but apparently I've toughened up over the summer. My longest group ride has been 34.5 miles, no problem.

I also now use Chamois Butt'r and wear the near top of the line Performance Bike padded bike shorts.

No manscaping though.
Old 09-03-17, 11:11 AM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And make sure your saddle isn't bottoming out on anything.

On my ancient Univega mountain bike the Fizik Aliante VSX was bottoming out on the seat post bolt! No wonder it was uncomfortable. I got a new seat post that fixed the problem.

Last edited by Sunsetman; 09-03-17 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-03-17, 11:24 AM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How often do you ride? I do about 40-60 miles a week.

Over the summer magically my butt seems to be fairly impervious to soreness.

Hills have gotten easier too!
Old 09-03-17, 12:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 390 Posts
I was going to shave myself, but my W pointed out that I'd need to keep shaving; otherwise, hard, pointy little hairs might be worse than the chafing caused by the hair I have now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.