Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are your top 3 tips to start bike commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What are your top 3 tips to start bike commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 01:05 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
1) Take the lane;
2) Ride with a pool noodle;
3) Glasses under the helmet straps
Old 06-21-17, 02:13 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
A) Leave early , enjoy the ride.
B) Prepare for weather.
C) Have spares , parts for a breakdown like tubes and chain parts.
Old 06-21-17, 04:50 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. figure out how you're gonna get there.
2. figure out how you're going to be clean/presentable when you get there (this means figuring out how you're going to carry cleaning stuff)
3. figure out how you're going to get there and back safely (lights for visibility, tubes and pump/c02 and multitool for repairs/flats and carry some cash for the bus if need be).

honestly its not very difficult. and it does wake you up in the morning. people will think you're crazy but you'll be the sane one appreciating the benefits of being outside, being quiet for your commute and in your thoughts either clearing your mind or preparing for your dayy.

i really hope you do this and best of luck.
Old 06-21-17, 09:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,490 Posts
Bike commuting is becoming normal in many areas. If you meet someone carrying a helmet in some cities, people won't bat an eye or say anything weird. Some people even wear their helmets while walking outside, since they're about to ride or they just rode. It no longer gets stares.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-21-17, 10:29 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 834 Posts
1) Plan
2) Prepare
3) Execute

Limiting commuting tips to the top three is a good thought exercise, but I can't do it. I have too much I want to say.
Old 06-21-17, 11:20 PM
bikecommuter13

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arsbars
Say you have a friend interested in bike commuting. What would be your top 3 tips or words of wisdom to get them started?
Top reasons for bike commuting is: 1) Combine exercise and commute, time saver 2) Save money on gas or public transit and 3) You can come and go anytime and traffic is always good

Top skills to have for bike commuting: Shifting and cornering skills...
Old 06-22-17, 07:19 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Don't be afraid to walk the hill.
Tire liners are your friend.
Start slow.. don't think straight out the gate your going to commute everyday.

Now those are just the basics.. other tips such as dealing with traffic would be more involved than just one sentence!
Old 06-22-17, 07:26 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,686 Times in 971 Posts
There're some good and some humorous tips above. When I first started commuting my commute was short, < 3 mi. After doing that for a couple of weeks it wasn't enough. So I slowly added more riding. Took the long way home. Rode my bike somewhere for lunch, etc. That's my advice. Slowly add to the distance and time. Enjoy yourself.
Old 06-22-17, 08:15 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 117 Posts
1. Remember that deciding to do it is harder than actually doing it. Once you're on the bike riding you'll likely think, "hey, this is no big deal!"

2. Don't set unrealistic goals when starting out, like saying, "I'm going to ride to work every day this week!" Decide you're going to ride one day this week. Pick a day that would be the easiest schedule/weather combination and ride that day. Do it again next week. If you're enjoying it, then add a day or two and see how it goes. You may become a full-time commuter, or you may not. That's ok. Find your own personal commitment level. And don't be surprised if it varies over time.

3. Don't be afraid to try new things to figure out what works best for you. Try different routes. Own multiple bikes? Ride them all. Try hauling your lunch, buying your lunch or maybe even (gasp!) fasting. Wear different clothes. Experiment with backpacks and racks. Get a new gadget or accessory on occasion to see if it helps (or doesn't help.) Try seeing how fast you can get home. Try seeing how slow you can get home. By switching things up you'll accomplish two things: 1. You'll keep things fresh and interesting. 2. You'll figure out what makes your commute better and what doesn't. Bottom line is there's no universal right and wrong way to commute by bike.
Old 06-22-17, 08:39 AM
JDinTulsa

Bikes: Priority Continuum; Azuki Gran Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
I just started commuting to work this month. I got tired of cussing at all the idiot drivers that seem to wait until they're late for work to even leave home! I was tired of spending so much money on gas. I was tired of not having time to exercise. I was tired of being tired at work. My commute by bike is 22 miles round trip. I'm 57, 245 pounds, and out of shape. Here's what I did (besides getting a bike):

1. Find a route and drive it with an eye on how it will work on a bike.
2. Start riding your bike after work and on the weekends to build your stamina. If it's a long commute, use the first half of your route so you learn how long it will take to get to work. And pack the bike like you're going to work so you're used to the weight.
3. When you're ready to start, set a weekly goal; 1, 2 or 3 days a week. Then, do it!

And, as others have mentioned, pack the night before.
Some other things I've learned
- when (not if) you forget something, don't worry about it! It's not the end of the world.
- you (may) have a set schedule on getting to work, but not going home. Stop for a burger and a beer! You earned it!
- find a shady spot for a 5 minute water break
- wear flashy socks
- smile, it's fun!

(I know that's more than 3 things but, there it is)
Old 06-22-17, 08:53 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
1. Map out the route. Maybe try google maps bike route and manually tweak or ask others. Strava heat map is also a nice way to see what routes others take:

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

2. Start slow and build up. Maybe two to three days a week. Then go to every weekday.

3. Give yourself a break if needed. I have weekends off but sometimes still need an "easy week" once a month or so. I park and ride on the easy week to reduce my commute from 1.5 hrs from home to 35-40 min from a county park. I also park and ride on the other weeks and only ride form home 2-3 times per week.

Last edited by ptempel; 06-22-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 09:25 AM
Clyde5600

Bikes: Soma Speedster custom build

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk to other cycle commuters where you work.

Choose a route near transit, if you're allowed to bring your bike on transit. You can always do half the ride that way at first if need be. Even just having the possibility will give you more confidence.

Always have a change of clothes at work.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-17, 09:36 AM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I am not a commuter yet, but my brother in law is. I decided to just find reasons to ride to his house (roughly a half hour one way) on weekends to gear myself up.

I tried Google's bike route suggestion going to his house and was agahst. When I told my brother in law, he told me his route, which I took home. Night and day difference. A huge +1 on finding the route you are comfortable with.
Old 06-22-17, 09:54 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
1. Learn to ride in traffic safely and comfortably. Skill plays a huge part in your safety.
^
This. Being predictable and learning how to anticipate potential risks makes it better for everyone on the road. Hit the library or bookstore, find out if any local organizations or shops offer classes.

Old 06-22-17, 11:03 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
1. Do it... today.
2. Do it tomorrow.
3. Do it every day after that.
Old 06-22-17, 11:41 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
1. Learn and practice patching your tubes - it will give you confidence.
2. Ride as if everyone's out to kill you, but don't take any of it personally.
3. Enjoy the nicest way of travelling.
Old 06-22-17, 11:51 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 93 Posts
Keep a change of clothes at work for emergencies.

Don't ride to work on a day when you're donating blood.
Old 06-22-17, 12:05 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
Don't ride to work on a day when you're donating blood.
I do that all the time and leave work to ride to and from the Blood Bank, so YMMV.
Old 06-22-17, 12:28 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I do that all the time and leave work to ride to and from the Blood Bank, so YMMV.
That's the thrilling part.. seeing if you can make it home without passing out I wouldn't recommend for a rookie though.
Old 06-22-17, 12:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Arsbars
Say you have a friend interested in bikecommuting. What would be your top 3 tips or words of wisdom to get them started?
It looks like many of the above posts cover a wide range
of advice. I have two pieces, I think not mentioned that may be unique. The first is simply an emphatic suggestion to wear a rearview mirror.

The second is actually a collection of several “safety aphorisms” I keep in mind when riding to anticipate unseen dangers. Think of it as as a “watchword” as expressed on that old police TV series “Hill Street Blues,“ as the cops went out on patrol, ”Hey, let’s be careful out there."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least:
  • Make yourself as visible as possible,and assume nobody sees you.
  • Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either sid
  • To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood.
  • Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface
  • When approaching a curve with no forward sight lines, hug the curb…’tight to the right’
  • When riding at night, look for cars, not just headlights
  • You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed).
  • Truck at corner in sight, don't go right [from a few local fatalities].
  • Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well-paved and lightly traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.” My argument to wear a rearview mirror.
Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Originally Posted by ascherer
...Being predictable and learning how to anticipate potential risks makes it better for everyone on the road...
BTW, I started a thread, with about 100 replies, "Describe Your Commute" that might offer further tips.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-22-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 01:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
watch a Ted Talk

Old 06-22-17, 01:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
watch a Ted Talk
Perfect solution! Then you can feel like you've done it without actually doing anything
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-22-17, 02:05 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Get. On. Bike.
Ride. To. Work.
Repeat. As. Necessary.

The rest is flapdoodle. Ride.
Old 06-22-17, 02:35 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Start. If you like it, you'll keep doing it.
Learn some maintenance, and carry tools. Be the guy who can stop and help someone, not the guy begging at the side of the trail. (Which reminds me, I need a knife for my bike)
Don't feel that you have to bike every day.
This. And don't believe everything you read here.
Old 06-22-17, 02:51 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 404 Posts
I'd say it's a good idea to plan for inclement weather. Don't travel any farther than you'd be willing to ride in a downpour. I've been commuting for 15 years in Chicago, and the weather is not 100% predictable. I carry a rain jacket and rain pants at all times; I wear my work clothes when I commute since the bike part of my "multi-modal" commute (train and bike) is only a couple or three miles at a time.

Carry the tools necessary to do any adjustments or repairs that are likely to be necessary. Specifically, flat repair. Don't travel any farther than you'd be willing to walk if you get a flat. I carry tools to remove the wheels, tire levers and a pump. Though I haven't had a flat in years (Schwalbe "Marathon Plus" tires)!
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.