Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

My Suburban Sprawl Flyer

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

My Suburban Sprawl Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 04:50 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Mobius, great video! Do you have a link to the part of the presentation that provides us with Duany's proposal for what seems like in-fill development.
With any embedded Youtube video you can double click it and it will open in a new window on Youtube. Be sure to go back to the original window and close it to stop that stream because it will slow your other video loading. If the videos are properly labeled identically with just number changes Youtube will present them in order so you can see the full series.
Old 08-21-11, 05:09 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
WELL SON OF A BISCUIT! I have long championed small to medium sized towns outside of larger cities, especially those with multiple transit options, like Greyhound, Amtrak and nearby US highways or Interstates. Also look for towns that have a variety of industry and are not tied to a single industry. Not every town will meet the basic qualifications but there are probably hundreds if not thousands of small to medium sized towns across the country that would fill the bill.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-21-11, 05:27 PM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
The point I am making is people didn't accidently move first into urban sprawl and then to suburbia they did it after deciding to give up on the living style they had before. Once a person has made that decision they are rarely if ever interested in a flyer by anyone suggesting they made a bad decision. Trying to change the mind of such people is like spitting in the wind.
By the community the OP is describing is often called a bed room community and was designed specifically the way it was to cater to people that simply want to get out of the city and sleep in a peaceful place before rejoining the rat race the next day. If they didn’t like the idea why would they have moved there in the first place?
So I say again if the OP can’t deal with where they live why not move?
I think in many cases it's very hard to move. If you have lost a lot of money on your home, you're not exactly going to move. Furthermore, if your children are in school, moving can be very stressful for them. Your wife or husband may have a different opinion.

So actually the flyer might come in very handy to help convince a person's significant other that life could be better than the way they are living it now.
Old 08-21-11, 06:27 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cycleobsidian
I think in many cases it's very hard to move. If you have lost a lot of money on your home, you're not exactly going to move. Furthermore, if your children are in school, moving can be very stressful for them. Your wife or husband may have a different opinion.

So actually the flyer might come in very handy to help convince a person's significant other that life could be better than the way they are living it now.
Really, and what do you do with flyers stuck under your windshield or stuffed in your mailbox? I simply toss them in recycling as soon as I see they don't have any discount coupons. They even have a name for such flyers, junk mail. I would say that if anyone can't convince their SO with conversation sticking a flyer from someone they don't know more than likely is a waste of time. I want to know still what experience qualifies the OP as an authority worth listening to? Where have they lived before to compare? Do you take handouts from people on the street and not toss them five feet later in the trash? Now imagine going to a bedroom community that is a bleak as the OP tries to picture it. What will they do with the flyer? Unless they have a fireplace I see it as a waste of time that could be better spent learning to cover more distance on a bike.

Besides if you moved because you wanted to buy a home or put you kids in a school what will the flyer do other than try to convince the person made a mistake? So in effect the only people reading the flyer will be people that aren't effected by the flyer. But if the OP wants to waste their time complaining about their condition they can do that. I personally am far more interested in reading something about how someone succeeds in fixing their trials rather than what their trails are keeping them from doing.

So the question remains, how did the OP get where they are and what is keeping them there? It isn't like they were walking down the road and a housing tract caught them and made them prisoner.
Old 08-21-11, 07:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,590 Times in 1,073 Posts
On page 27, they state:

[I]"Investors tend to favor the following:

Cities and urbanizing infill suburbs with 24 hour attributes--upscale, pedestrian friendly neighborhoods, convenient office, retail, entertainment and recreation districts, good mass transit alternatives to driving, good school and relatively save streets.
Did the report provide any examples of US cities/suburbs where all these attributes can be found at any price; at a price affordable to anyone on this list?
Old 08-21-11, 08:54 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up. I love your information so far.

I do believe that your description of children who live in suburbia is very accurate. They are kept in infancy as the only way they can get around is with their parent's assistance. Parents then have the ability to micromanage their lives. Right until the age of 16 or 17, young adults then have to negotiate to borrow a car or get their parents to buy them one.

I do believe as well that people don't realize what a trap they are in living under those conditions. I myself didn't give it a second thought when I lived in suburbia. Fast forward to living in a more urban area, and now I know why I used to have such conflict with my kids over going place to place; I always either had to drive them to all their athletics or after school practices when I was weary myself. When they got to the age of driving then we were always in conflict over their wanting to use the car. I much prefer city life; I think it is much less stressful.

Perhaps Robert Foster needs to find a better city to study. Not everyone has to live in a poor crime ridden area of a city. Many cities have low crime rates. (I live in one.) Many city schools are excellent. I haven't done the research on it, but I would hazard a guess that not all suburban areas have great schools.

In any case, onward and upward, MobiusX, you are on the right track.
As a teacher who lives and works in a core urban area, I'm not convinced that city kids are any freer than their counterparts in the suburbs. Virtually all of my students are driven everywhere by their parents, and the parents pretty much insist on micromanaging their kids' lives until well into the high school years. (Last year, out of my 150 students, maybe four or five rode their bikes to school.) They do this out of fear for their children's safety; the layout of their communities is pretty much an irrelevant consideration as far as I can tell. I agree that it's probably not at all good for the kids, and it makes me worry for their future and the future of our whole republic, but that's the culture we live in right now, and it's not going to go away any time soon.
Old 08-21-11, 09:32 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My new living situation is that I live in a megacity (Seoul) but commute to a suburb (Ilsan) in Korea. Was not my choice. I got the job in Ilsan but the housing was in Seoul. Its fine but I wish my work was in the mega city with me. Bottom line is that commuting sucks if its too long, and it doesn't matter if its urban or rural. By the way, Ilsan is more like a large satelite city than a suburb. Korea doesnt have those. All shopping, working, and living are fully integrated. The closest you get to a suburb in Korea is two large apartment complexes set side by side.
Old 08-21-11, 10:33 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems as if regionally we simply have different definitions of suburbs. In Orange County where I grew up there is no one big city only a collection of smaller cities surrounded by homes. Most people don’t live down town but they aren’t that far from shopping because super markets are everywhere and there is at least one mall connecting every two cities. It is pretty much that way from the LA county line all the way to San Diego. Single family dwellings are the norm for most of Southern California. It seems from an Eastern perspective all of this area are suburbs. I suppose it is because of zoning but there are very few homes located in the business district unless you count industrial parks that are moved to the edge of the housing tracts. To us that is just normal living with urban areas set aside for business and some apartments and housing surrounding the town itself. The only time conditions show up duplicating the Ops situation is in brand new developments before the malls and businesses move in.
So for many of us living in the west high density living is several blocks of single family homes on 1/8th acre lots. Maybe it gets real tight if you toss in a duplex or two. But apartment complexes are zoned in areas other than where single family homes are.
The one American institution that has suffered with this community model is the family grocery store. Supermarkets and mega-markets have more or less put them out of business until you move farther out where it is almost rural. Still with the exception of resort mountain communities none of them are as desolate or far from services as the one the OP has decided to settle in.
This is just from my personal observation.
Old 08-22-11, 12:49 AM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really, and what do you do with flyers stuck under your windshield or stuffed in your mailbox? I simply toss them in recycling as soon as I see they don't have any discount coupons. They even have a name for such flyers, junk mail. I would say that if anyone can't convince their SO with conversation sticking a flyer from someone they don't know more than likely is a waste of time.
I read flyers. I read handouts. The only ones I don't read all the way through are from the religions that go door to door. I do read enough of all of them to identify them. Even the ones I don't read all the way through get read a little so I know what they are about.

Taking handouts from people is always fun because I get to interact with someone who is trying to communicate something to me. Then I can quiz them about it. I've stopped playing with the religious ones. In the past I would draw them into theological traps that they couldn't explain. This was only with the Christians. I gave that up a long time ago.

I enjoy flyers from businesses. I go through the flyer packs in the mail too. The thing is, since I don't eat out, purchase any durable goods, or shop for anything I really don't need, flyers and coupons just don't offer the things I want. Ever notice there are never coupons for fresh fruits or vegetables?

Even if I got a bicycle shop flyer it probably wouldn't get used unless it had no expiration date. Most of my bicycles don't need things from bicycle shops other than tubes and cables. Most parts last a really long time.
Old 08-22-11, 03:42 AM
MobiusX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's why the 5 components of suburban sprawl are explained in the flyer
Old 08-22-11, 03:48 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Ever notice there are never coupons for fresh fruits or vegetables?

Even if I got a bicycle shop flyer it probably wouldn't get used unless it had no expiration date. Most of my bicycles don't need things from bicycle shops other than tubes and cables. Most parts last a really long time.
I assume that any product that needs advertising to convince me I "need" it is actually a total waste of money. Have you ever seen an advertisement for cocain, marijuana, having sex, hugs, back rubbs, seat belts, helmets, fruits, vegtetables, or eye glasses? No, because these products sell themselves.
Old 08-22-11, 05:39 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, and what do you do with flyers stuck under your windshield or stuffed in your mailbox? I simply toss them in recycling as soon as I see they don't have any discount coupons. They even have a name for such flyers, junk mail. I would say that if anyone can't convince their SO with conversation sticking a flyer from someone they don't know more than likely is a waste of time. I want to know still what experience qualifies the OP as an authority worth listening to? Where have they lived before to compare? Do you take handouts from people on the street and not toss them five feet later in the trash? Now imagine going to a bedroom community that is a bleak as the OP tries to picture it. What will they do with the flyer? Unless they have a fireplace I see it as a waste of time that could be better spent learning to cover more distance on a bike.

Besides if you moved because you wanted to buy a home or put you kids in a school what will the flyer do other than try to convince the person made a mistake? So in effect the only people reading the flyer will be people that aren't effected by the flyer. But if the OP wants to waste their time complaining about their condition they can do that. I personally am far more interested in reading something about how someone succeeds in fixing their trials rather than what their trails are keeping them from doing.

So the question remains, how did the OP get where they are and what is keeping them there? It isn't like they were walking down the road and a housing tract caught them and made them prisoner.
Good grief, Robert. I don't suppose Mobius believes his flyers are going to change the world. You don't pick up flyers, other people do. It will impact some, not others.

There are plenty of people, myself included, who live(d) in suburbia who once found it a suitable option, but where it no longer fits. However moving is out of the question for many because their whole lives are designed around where they live, and it would be too disruptive and too costly to move. Real estate trends are moving toward more densification, because that is what people want. Those people may peruse the flyer. Not that everyone wants to leave their suburban area, of course. You, for example, are tickled pink with where you live.

Mobius is trying to do his part to have people see there is an alternative to the lifestyle they are currently living, like Andreas Duany, Jan Gehl, James Kunstler. This humble beginning may eventually lead to other pursuits, that have a larger impact. Good for him for working toward making a difference with a cause that he believes in.
Old 08-22-11, 05:45 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Did the report provide any examples of US cities/suburbs where all these attributes can be found at any price; at a price affordable to anyone on this list?

Good question. I don't remember. Please read the report and get back to me.

Here is the link again.

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/asset-manag...-trends-us.pdf
Old 08-22-11, 06:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I would read it but am on vacation for 2 weeks and the current hotel I am in does not download pdf files on the computer in its business center..

So I'll ask again does this report or you have any useful advice for persons seeking the Nirvana descibed as the "investor's" choice in the report?

I'll give you a hint, a lot of University dominated towns might fit the bill for righteous living as long as they are not too close to any major city in the U.S. So why noy just recommend that everybody sign up for a well paying University job(football coach or tenured professor would be good choices) and just pick up and move the family? Easy-peasy, eh?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-22-11 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-22-11, 06:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Mobius is trying to do his part to have people see there is an alternative to the lifestyle they are currently living, like Andreas Duany, Jan Gehl, James Kunstler. This humble beginning may eventually lead to other pursuits, that have a larger impact. Good for him for working toward making a difference with a cause that he believes in.
Really? What alternate lifestyle did Mobius' flyer recommend? What exactly do you think he is "working" for?

All I saw was whining about negatives for the "victims" and "casualties" of suburban living, with no practical suggestions, recommendations, or remedies offered for the "victims."
Old 08-22-11, 07:32 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would read it but am on vacation for 2 weeks and the current hotel I am in does not download pdf files on the computer in its business center..

So I'll ask again does this report or you have any useful advice for persons seeking the Nirvana descibed as the "investor's" choice in the report?

I'll give you a hint, a lot of University dominated towns might fit the bill for righteous living as long as they are not too close to any major city in the U.S. So why noy just recommend that everybody sign up for a well paying University job(football coach or tenured professor would be good choices) and just pick up and move the family? Easy-peasy, eh?
Please get back to me after your vacation. Then we can discuss the report. It is 80 pages long and am willing to meet you halfway. But I'm not going to reread the report, analyse it, and report to you on it when you haven't even bothered to open and peruse it before making your assumptions.

You are on a "Living Car-Free" forum on your vacation? Some vacation.
Old 08-22-11, 08:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You are on a "Living Car-Free" forum on your vacation? Some vacation.

Yes it is. Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, And Zion National Park. Meeting my sister today who is flying in from Philadelphia, whom I haven't seen in almost 2 years. She will join my wife and me for this guided trip. I was overseas last year (not on vacation) and didn't take any vacation. Youse got a problem wid dat?

Edited out comments posted earlier. I reread your email and now have taken a mellow take of your intent. Laffing at me still posting on LCF while on vacation?that's OK. My wife is still sleeping from jet lag, so I am entertaining myself on the hotel computer.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-22-11 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-22-11, 10:56 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is. Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, And Zion National Park. Meeting my sister today who is flying in from Philadelphia, whom I haven't seen in almost 2 years. She will join my wife and me for this guided trip. I was overseas last year (not on vacation) and didn't take any vacation.
Sounds like a great vacation. Any room in your suitcase for another passenger?
Old 08-22-11, 11:19 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It seems as if regionally we simply have different definitions of suburbs. In Orange County where I grew up there is no one big city only a collection of smaller cities surrounded by homes. Most people don’t live down town but they aren’t that far from shopping because super markets are everywhere and there is at least one mall connecting every two cities. It is pretty much that way from the LA county line all the way to San Diego. Single family dwellings are the norm for most of Southern California. It seems from an Eastern perspective all of this area are suburbs. I suppose it is because of zoning but there are very few homes located in the business district unless you count industrial parks that are moved to the edge of the housing tracts. To us that is just normal living with urban areas set aside for business and some apartments and housing surrounding the town itself. The only time conditions show up duplicating the Ops situation is in brand new developments before the malls and businesses move in.
So for many of us living in the west high density living is several blocks of single family homes on 1/8th acre lots. Maybe it gets real tight if you toss in a duplex or two. But apartment complexes are zoned in areas other than where single family homes are.
The one American institution that has suffered with this community model is the family grocery store. Supermarkets and mega-markets have more or less put them out of business until you move farther out where it is almost rural. Still with the exception of resort mountain communities none of them are as desolate or far from services as the one the OP has decided to settle in.
This is just from my personal observation.
Actually, the regional differences are probably not as reat as you think. Midwestern and Southeastern cities were mainly designed for the automobile and prequite sprawly--even in core areas. Detroit, for example, could fit into it the entire land area of Manhattan, Boston and San Fransisco. The metro area of Detroit (including suburbs and exurbs) is easily 50 miles in radius. But Detroit's population was only 2 million at its peak, and about 700,000 now. Most of the housing in Detroit is single family homes on 40 foot lots, and that's also true of many other cities in the Midwest.

Like you and Aaron, I love the small to medium cities. Even with sprawl, the land area is small enough to support bikes as primary transportation. My entire metro area (Lansing/East Lansing) is only 12 to 15 miles across, easy biking distance for many people. But it's large enough to support good shopping, sports, and culture--especially with a major university in the metro area.

OTOH, where would the world be without great cities like Paris, London, Damascus, Singapore, LA, and above all NYC? These cities have the critical mass of people, institutions and ideas that make civilizations great.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 08-22-11 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-22-11, 03:52 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
Actually, the regional differences are probably not as reat as you think. Midwestern and Southeastern cities were mainly designed for the automobile and prequite sprawly--even in core areas. Detroit, for example, could fit into it the entire land area of Manhattan, Boston and San Fransisco. The metro area of Detroit (including suburbs and exurbs) is easily 50 miles in radius. But Detroit's population was only 2 million at its peak, and about 700,000 now. Most of the housing in Detroit is single family homes on 40 foot lots, and that's also true of many other cities in the Midwest.

Like you and Aaron, I love the small to medium cities. Even with sprawl, the land area is small enough to support bikes as primary transportation. My entire metro area (Lansing/East Lansing) is only 12 to 15 miles across, easy biking distance for many people. But it's large enough to support good shopping, sports, and culture--especially with a major university in the metro area.

OTOH, where would the world be without great cities like Paris, London, Damascus, Singapore, LA, and above all NYC? These cities have the critical mass of people, institutions and ideas that make civilizations great.
What I am trying to picture is a place like the OP is describing that would need a flyer. I also want to know what it has to do with the suburbs? I can easily bicycle to any services I need. Not as easy for my wife but it is very unlikely it would be any easier for her in LA, NY, or Paris. But my contention remains that people moved to the suburbs with eyes wide open and reap the advantages as well as the disadvantages after long thought. I believe it is totally obtuse to assume that suburbanites didn’t have a good reason to live where they do. It might not have been reason enough for true urbanites to give up living where they do but how often do you see a suburbanite concerned enough to publish a flyer to explain the drawbacks of urban living to urbanites? And that is the real point, some of us believe you made a decision to live where you live and you made that decision based on your own needs and desires. I would simply be too embarrassed to suggest that you needed a flyer to open your eyes to the benefits of suburban living because you were teleported into the central part of Detroit against your will and were unable to ride 8 miles to the library.
Yes I am using hyperbole but I simply do not believe a flyer will have any effect on someone who is not interested in being car free or even car light. And people that are car free or car light don’t need a poster or flyer to tell them that they can be car free or car light even if they live in the suburbs. I say again, the OP needs to get out there and ride more and complain less. I am still waiting to if the OP had done anything to rectify the situation they are in? Have they lived in a urban or suburban area with stores and services within easy cycling distance?
Old 08-22-11, 08:40 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What I am trying to picture is a place like the OP is describing that would need a flyer. I also want to know what it has to do with the suburbs? I can easily bicycle to any services I need. Not as easy for my wife but it is very unlikely it would be any easier for her in LA, NY, or Paris. But my contention remains that people moved to the suburbs with eyes wide open and reap the advantages as well as the disadvantages after long thought. I believe it is totally obtuse to assume that suburbanites didn’t have a good reason to live where they do. It might not have been reason enough for true urbanites to give up living where they do but how often do you see a suburbanite concerned enough to publish a flyer to explain the drawbacks of urban living to urbanites? And that is the real point, some of us believe you made a decision to live where you live and you made that decision based on your own needs and desires. I would simply be too embarrassed to suggest that you needed a flyer to open your eyes to the benefits of suburban living because you were teleported into the central part of Detroit against your will and were unable to ride 8 miles to the library.
Yes I am using hyperbole but I simply do not believe a flyer will have any effect on someone who is not interested in being car free or even car light. And people that are car free or car light don’t need a poster or flyer to tell them that they can be car free or car light even if they live in the suburbs. I say again, the OP needs to get out there and ride more and complain less. I am still waiting to if the OP had done anything to rectify the situation they are in? Have they lived in a urban or suburban area with stores and services within easy cycling distance?
Robert you need to get out there and ride some more yourself.
Old 08-22-11, 10:40 PM
MobiusX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it was basically part of a project for my sociology course and I chose the topic of how people in suburbs have a high car dependency and how many are unaware how it has affected them negatively in their daily lives since some lived in only in these areas while others were forced to move to this area, while promoting a car free lifestyle. I was told to write an essay about it along with something visual. I think the flyer looks good and points out the main negative parts about these kinds of areas that make it harder for people to live a car free lifestyle, but I provide statistics and information that are actual facts from books. I've only put it up at 2 libraries in the area where I am living, and I've seen people actually reading it. I'm sure there are some information they read they didn't know. It's up to them to do what they want to do with that information. I also wrote the name of the book so if they want to learn more on the topic.
Old 08-22-11, 11:28 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv
Robert you need to get out there and ride some more yourself.
Yes I know, I will have a hard time beating 8000 miles at the rate I am going today. I have 6000 in the bag more than likely by November and I am doing a 500 plus ride in October with more that 30,000 feet of climbing. So 8 miles is hardly a wall for me or just about anyone I know. But now that I realize the whole idea is a class assignment it hardly seems relivant to car free or car light. It is an assignment and may or may not reflect a real situation. It reminds me of the white indian agents telling native americans how to live.

To be open with you my whole idea of becoming car light is simply to try and use my bike more and car less no matter where I live. I did 30 miles this morning to have brunch with some friends. I could have used my car or maybe use a bus but the bus wouldn't get there till after lunch. Next month some friends are getting together for a birthday luncheon. It is 50 miles to the beach for me but two of my friends and I are going to ride there rather than drive. I don't expect others to ride that far but if I waited till a flyer had an effect I would either; A. Not go. B. Drive a car. C. Make it a dinner date and take the bus or train. D. Do as I said I am going to do and leave early in the morning to get there by noon. And yes I have the whole day free. You have to know it would be just as far if I lived in the next closest city center of any size and I would still have to make a choice on how to get there. So living in the suburbs would have absolutely no effect on how car light I am or would be. It doesn’t matter what any Utube display might have to say.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 08-22-11 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 12:36 AM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The longest trip I've ever done on a semi regular basis was to a job fifteen miles away. It would take me on hour and ten minutes to do it on a good day. I didn't like riding that far. It took too much time out of my day. Since I wasn't working there daily I could do the trip every once in a while when they needed me to work. I wouldn't do that trip daily without a motor.

To me a long ride is to the town center about seven miles away. I could do that daily if need be. One of my jobs in 2009 was eight and two tenths miles away. I pedaled that distance daily five days per week. In good weather it was just fine. In cold snowy conditions I hated it. Each of us has different ideas of what we feel is a comfortable distance to ride. My comfortable distance is about twenty-five minutes of pedaling. More than that and it seems tedious as a daily thing. Riding for fun with no time deadline is different. I could ride longer times for fun.
Old 08-23-11, 09:07 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
I read the flyer and it has some good information. Where is the call to action? Where is the solution to these problems? Does this flyer have a back page or is this the front and back page side by side?

There needs to be a list of solutions to these problems to show something can be done about it. You can either choose just one solution to focus attention or offer several and hope some stick in the minds of the readers.

If there is no new law or proposal happening in government at the time that can be supported by the people, then this flyer is a waste of time unless you have deep pockets to put them out regularly to capture the minds of the citizens. It usually takes a minimum of three views of something for it to register with people using direct mail. More often it takes seven views to make an impression.

All of us working together could come up with at least five points of change to show people something could be done to help with this problem. Not all neighborhoods are as segregated as gated island communities. Solutions would work better for some than others.

What would we do to alleviate the problems of sprawl?

1. Support zoning changes to allow mixed use businesses and housing to coexist within the same neighborhood.
2. Support zoning changes to allow housing and businesses to exist within the same building.
3. Support better mass transit, whether it is for more routes or just more trips on existing routes.
4. Support bicycle lanes and bicycle parking to alleviate parking problems.
5. Mandate all on street parking spots have 24 hour parking meters which can change the fees according to peak needs.
6. Support the creation of bridges or other crossings so pedestrians and bicyclists can cross main roads safely without having to deviate miles to reach their destinations.
7. Remove the minimum parking spaces requirement for businesses if they supply more bicycle parking spaces.
8. Give businesses greater tax credits if they give employees bus passes or cash for riding their bicycles, or carpool.
9. Repeal zoning regulations that have minimum lot sizes and minimum dwelling sizes so that smaller more affordable housing can be created everywhere.

Those are some of the things I remember being discussed on this forum and in others. What am I forgetting to put down?

I actually would love to see every other suburban neighborhood street torn up and have houses or apartments built in their place. People could use the sidewalks to get to the next main road to catch the bus or use other transportation methods. The end of the street could be used as a parking lot. It would require all the people on the street to accept the fact that they couldn't park their cars in their driveways anymore, but their neighborhoods would be quieter and more friendly. I doubt it would happen in many places unless the city gave the residents a cash payment for the change. After all, the city owns the street and the land from the sidewalk to the street. The city could also wave any restrictions on converting car garages into other uses as an additional incentive.
Other than the last paragraph, I think this is the best post in the thread.

The list of ideas are practical solutions that would improve many suburban communities at minimal cost. I think it's possible to reduce sprawl while increasing the peace & quiet that residents want.

I think your last paragraph contains some valid ideas for new development, but it seems too extreme and costly for existing communities. I think you antagonize people when you talk about tearing up half of their streets. Also, I think most people have no desire to walk a block from their house to their car, especially when they're coming home from the supermarket.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.