Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I suck at riding my bike...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I suck at riding my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 07:12 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to all the things that have been said: you should look at your riding as what you can accomplish. I do not believe that any of us think we are "da bomb" when it comes to riding. There is always something that we each try to reach for. And sometimes we achieve that goal and don't even realize it.

For instance, I tell everyone I'm slow. And I really think I am. I have a friend who used to average 23 mph over 50 miles solo on a rigid frame MTN BIKE WITH KNOBBIES!!! He could drop me within 50 feet of the starting line and disappear within a minute. It was painful and embarrassing because I felt (and still do feel) like I am turtle slow.

But, last Saturday I went on my first group ride. It was the "slow group" from the local bike club and they said they average 15-18 mph. My kinda speed. NOT! Their average speed was actually something like 8-10 mph because of all the breaks they took (15 mins every 5 miles). Their pedal speed was only 14 mph underway. I dropped them at the halfway stop by leaving early. An hour to eat a donut is too long when you're 20 miles from home. I also started to get lazy from just sitting and doing nothing so I left early after a half hour at the stop. 46 miles total for me on that ride and my average speed on the way back was 18 mph including the 3 min rest break at 10 miles out.

Even though I know better because of last Saturday, I still think I'm slow and that my hill climbing sucks. It's all relative.
Old 08-26-08, 07:51 PM
ritepath

Bikes: CRF150

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait until you're an old turd that can't ride worth a crap...then you'll be me.

Of course I can out ride my 6 and 4 year old.
Old 09-04-08, 10:24 AM
Desertsasquach

Bikes: Giant Innova (1992) What a Rocket Metallic Ice White

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut my arm in half 20 years ago while rehabilitating from that injury I tuned in and learned to listen to my muscles . What the doctors recommended was not enough so I made my own regiment and now you can't even tell that my arm was injured . About 7 years ago blown out right knee (missing 35% of my interior medial meniscus ) again I did it myself just by knowing my muscles pulled thousands of pounds on pallet jacks at Lowe's . Now 3 years ago I had a 2x4 fall 35' and speared me in the spine .The doctors were gonna fuse my disks or something like that, but I told them I would do it my way. I bought this bike to work on my spinal alignment about 7 months after the accident. Now I am riding 65 + miles a week feeling incredible again seeing the top of the ocean that is recovery , I can only hope that every man and woman will see the dedication in this short bio of self damage repair . We expect a lot from our bodies , I like to think I retrain my brain with every injury I recover from . My goal is to make myself as efficient as possible and not let any outside influences affect what I know I can do . So when I sucked at riding my bike that was really that furthest thing from my mind, I was too busy listening to my body to register whether I sucked or not...I would register where the pain was and focus on that area until it wasn't a problem anymore or less of a problem. Think positive about what you have accomplished and grow on that till you get where you want to be . Hope this will give you something to think about other than sucking on your bike ...
Old 09-04-08, 10:58 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you people refer to when you say "skills?"

I mean, Faster, stronger, stamina, that's one thing, but what "skills?"

Is "spinning" a Skill? Cornering? Track stands? bunny Hops? Etc etc..

are those the skills you refer to?
Old 09-04-08, 11:17 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cg1985

I mean, Faster, stronger, stamina, that's one thing, but what "skills?"

Is "spinning" a Skill? Cornering? Track stands? bunny Hops? Etc etc..

are those the skills you refer to?
Not sure if you're directing the question toward me (the OP), but I'll answer anyway.

All those things you mentioned I would consider valuable cycling skills. I would also add the ability to accelerate quickly, maneuvering ability in tight spots, unweighting yourself over short rough spots, hitting gaps (and knowing which ones are too narrow), reacting well to emergency situations (like this morning when I was almost hit by a car!). There are probably others I'm not thinking of.

My original post was referring mostly to the speed, strength, stamina aspect. That's where I feel I've plateaued.
Old 09-04-08, 11:18 AM
cg1985
Goon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
Not sure if you're directing the question toward me (the OP), but I'll answer anyway.

All those things you mentioned I would consider valuable cycling skills. I would also add the ability to accelerate quickly, maneuvering ability in tight spots, unweighting yourself over short rough spots, hitting gaps (and knowing which ones are too narrow), reacting well to emergency situations (like this morning when I was almost hit by a car!). There are probably others I'm not thinking of.

My original post was referring mostly to the speed, strength, stamina aspect. That's where I feel I've plateaued.
I see, I guess I never really thought about skills in general.. I just ride. vOv
Old 09-04-08, 12:37 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cg1985
You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
Old 09-04-08, 01:01 PM
cg1985
Goon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
i swear I've heard that line before...
Old 09-04-08, 01:14 PM
Desertsasquach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry

Last edited by Desertsasquach; 09-04-08 at 01:19 PM. Reason: doubled posted
Old 09-04-08, 01:28 PM
Desertsasquach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome

that was a great analogy about the car I mean not bad on the Idol comment either

Last edited by Desertsasquach; 09-04-08 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added
Old 09-04-08, 02:14 PM
Andrea_C
Riding for a better life!

Bikes: Felt Q250,Light Blue(MTB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're quite right, setting goals is not necessary to have fun. And I know I do tend to be hard on myself, and be a bit too competitive sometimes. It's funny though... I get no satisfaction when I'm a stronger or faster cyclist than someone else, but I do feel inferior sometimes around cyclist who are stronger and faster than I am. Not always, but it happens. That's a personality trait of mine that could probably use a little work.

Still though, it is pretty satisfying to become fitter and faster. Not to mention fun. I just need to find the right balance.

Edit: I also just want to mention that even though I may get bummed out that sometimes, cycling is still one of the greatest joys in my life, and I have fun every time I go out and ride
I have the same problem...I'm a perfectionist and I like to be first at everything...but the beauty of cycling is the constant lessons that it teaches..part of that is learning that in this particular thing,there's so much people better than me,and I have to accept that no matter how hard I try,I will only get better on time,because the body goes through a process were it sets its own pace and this pace can't be fastened..I've always struggled with this,and it's usually pretty painful..right now I'm training really hard to be better AND specially to be able to ride with other groups without being the last one or suffering to get to the destination.This is my first goal..
I hope that I can somehow get to the point were it won't matter to me,but it's something that I have to fight to achieve..the reason? my personality and the fact that this is my first sport and I had never done anything else in my life other than watching t.v and being a couch potato,so my body is just getting used to working.

We just have to learn to change this and keep riding.
Old 09-04-08, 03:26 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...and it bums me out.

I'm envious of people who are faster, stronger, and more skilled than me.

I know the solution is to ride longer and train better, but industry, efficiency, time management, patience, and dedication are not among my strong suits. As a result, I should just learn to be comfortable with my general suckiness.
Improve your mental fitness.

Instead of saying that 'you suck,' turn that into saying that you 'have a lot of work to do,' or something that sounds more positive and a tone that acknowledges that you can improve.

That helped me improve immensely. It seems to be a biblical commandment for most, if not all, pro athletes.

The extra riding time and improvements will follow from that.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces