Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you hate Walmart FIXIES? Kent Thruster

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Do you hate Walmart FIXIES? Kent Thruster

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 07:49 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Kind of disappointed to see a lack of participation from @Scrodzilla in this thread.
Sorry, man.
Old 02-08-18, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,116 Times in 2,748 Posts
I hate all bikes!
Old 10-24-20, 03:00 PM
mr3speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I love this bike!

Last edited by mr3speed; 10-24-20 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-20, 03:11 PM
mr3speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Broctoon;20145367]I did exactly the same thing myself. There is a big difference in the quality of a 1970s vintage Japanese frame (like the one I got two years ago for $25) and a new $60-$100 Walmart special.

Nothing wrong with taking a decent inexpensive frame and building it up with mid-grade components. On the other hand, anything you spend putting nice stuff on a Walmart fixie is money wasted.[/QUOTE

Man, every last one of you who ripped this guy apart - I'll bet you ran upstairs after you posted and were like "MOM, you're not going to BELIEVE what I just posted on the bike forum!!!!"

Every self-righteous "bike expert" likes to think that we all live in a fantasy world where you can buy a 1970s/80s/90s chromoly WHATEVER for $50 or under on craisgslist any day of the week. If that's so, then I'm guessing that you haven't been looking lately. Every A-HOLE selling a bike wants $200-$300 for their old Huffy mountain bike. Sure, you might find someone selling a bike for a reasonable price once in a blue moon, but by the time you message them, 9/10 it's already sold. By the way, check the marketplace again a few days later, because the jerk who bought that bike washed it and now they want $200-$300 for it! By the way, if you want 700C wheels, guess what doofus, they didn't make them back then, and converting a road bike/ mountain bike to 700C wheels isn't as simple as you think.

I own 2 vintage Miyatas and I LOVE them. But I also own a Wally-world single speed that cost me $99 and I love it. I've made the same "upgrades" to it that I've made to my other bikes, and it's my favorite bike to ride right now. New seat, greased the BB and bought a new stem from Amazon. I have been wanting a single speed, but I certainly wasn't about to commit blasphemy and convert my older bikes like most idiots would.

These bikes are a lot of fun and if you have the slightest bit of mechanical ability, they're a great value. I love all of the bright colors schemes Kent has been using on these. Mine is called the Ridgeland, and it's a beautiful blue with chartreuse accents. I'm going to post about it soon.
Old 10-24-20, 03:20 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
I love my Kent Thruster. Woof Woof

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-24-20, 10:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,116 Times in 2,748 Posts
Just keep in mind folks this was a ZOMBIE thread. No activity since 2018. I was the last post until someone had to come in and poop the party.