Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Change of pants

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Change of pants

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 05:56 PM
MTBerJim

Bikes: 04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc, 10 Marin San Rafael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
Yeah, right. I tried my back brake only for a while, then switched to using both. I immediately noticed the rear wheel would always slide to the left when I hit the back brake, though I just went with it since I didn't fall. I switched to the front brake after I learned to brace against the handlebars before braking.
Don't even know where to start.

Hit my front brake, knew I shouldn't, knew it'd end bad... grabbed my rear brake too in a panic. Bike immediately goes sideways and dumps me under it.
Only 2 fingers on the front brake and 3 on the back, modulation is the term you need to become familiar with. Back when I was riding 5-6 days a week I was able to use the front brake to pull the rear wheel off the ground and ride a nose wheelie to a stop. I'm not bragging, just trying to make you aware brakes are not like a switch, It's not on or off, all or nothing.
Not doing that. Back brake is for when the front brake is not useful, not for general use.
Stopping fast is best done with both brakes but mostly the front, same with cars, trucks, motorcycles.
Old 04-27-11, 07:44 PM
garagegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still not quite sure if this is the most elaborate troll ever to grace these forums or a legitimate poster. In case you are real bluefoxicy- Please take some classes and slow down until you get the hang of things. These issues you're having are not typical. If you aren't capable of controlling the bike at 20 miles an hour, you shouldn't be riding at 20 miles an hour. If you continue to ride like this in traffic you most likely will get seriously injured, or worse.
Old 04-28-11, 01:08 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by garagegirl
I'm still not quite sure if this is the most elaborate troll ever to grace these forums or a legitimate poster. In case you are real bluefoxicy- Please take some classes and slow down until you get the hang of things. These issues you're having are not typical. If you aren't capable of controlling the bike at 20 miles an hour, you shouldn't be riding at 20 miles an hour. If you continue to ride like this in traffic you most likely will get seriously injured, or worse.
bluefoxicy is real, not a troll, but a bit arrogant. He has had his bike a couple months and is now handing out bike buying advice to the newbies. He jumps right into clipless. He reads Sheldon's article that discusses experienced cyclist being able to stop the quickest in ideal conditions using only the front brake, and thinks that means him. He ignores Sheldon's advice that new cyclist are better off using both brakes. Hopefully he will pay attention to MTBerJim's post about modulation.

Ooo - almost forgot, he has been handing out braking advice as well to the newbies.
Old 04-28-11, 10:26 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wash the pants, sew the tear & leave those at work as your backup. I ripped a small hole in a dress shirt & leave this at work as my backup. You will rarely ever have to wear them, so the tear shouldn't be an issue & then you save yourself from having to purchase a pair to leave at the office.
Old 04-28-11, 11:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,988 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by MK313
Wash the pants, sew the tear & leave those at work as your backup. I ripped a small hole in a dress shirt & leave this at work as my backup. You will rarely ever have to wear them, so the tear shouldn't be an issue & then you save yourself from having to purchase a pair to leave at the office.
Good advice, that's what I do with a pair of poorly fitting pants I'm to cheap to throw out.

Old 04-28-11, 02:41 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah my balance is all weird, my handling of the bike is odd, etc. Hmm I don't see any such classes at REI, but I've signed up for the beginner's bike maintenance class (free).
Try https://members.bikeleague.org/membe...le&id=51207732 for a League of American Bicyclists certified instructor