Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain skipping problem I can't diagnose.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain skipping problem I can't diagnose.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 07:55 PM
davitom
WAHOOoooo

Bikes: Trek 1200, Jamis Exile, KHS Alite 3000, GF Wahoo converted SS, Specialized Epic (rebuild in progress) ie:blackhole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have recently had the same problem. Tried everything, new shifter, chain, even converted it back to a single speed but wanted an eight spd hardtail. Seems my problem is a loose/ worn derailleur cage. Noticed the cage was angled and it would move side to side without the main body moving. So whenever I was putting any torque on the chain the cage was flexing and causing the shifting. Don't know if it can be tightened or if a new derailleur is in the cards.
Old 12-30-09, 08:39 PM
NiMO189
Guppy

Bikes: 2003 KHS Flite 500, c1973 Batavus Tour de l'Europe FW conversion, 2010 C'dale CAAD9 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As operator says, there is no way that it is "too narrow of a chain." The internal diameter is the same for all multi-speed chains, 3/32". The difference between a "5-speed" chain, and a "10-speed" model is the width of the pins and outer plates. Thus, you can always use a chain that is marketed for a higher number of speeds.
Since you said that you have friction shifters, I would say that your issues are with either the derailleur, or the cable and housing. If the RD cable and housing are stock, it is possible that the cable is getting caught up inside and not allowing the derailleur to move as much as the shifter. If this is not the case I would look at the RD itself. If you cannot diagnose the problem by looking at it, try a different derailleur and see if that makes any difference.
Possible issues to look for: Does the derailleur have play side to side? Too much play will allow the chain tension to pull the derailleur away from the selected sprocket. How is the chain wrap? This can be modified by adjusting what Shimano calls the "B Tension" screw. A quick search will give you more info if you need it. Is the derailleur or hangar bent? This will definitely affect shifting performance and accuracy. If the cage doesn't look straight up and down, something is bent. As I said before, friction in the cable and housing could give you problems. Are there any kinks in the housing? Visible corrosion?
Good luck to you, hope you get it working well!
Old 12-30-09, 08:42 PM
NiMO189
Guppy

Bikes: 2003 KHS Flite 500, c1973 Batavus Tour de l'Europe FW conversion, 2010 C'dale CAAD9 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, since it is a new chain, make sure that there are no pinched (aka stiff) links. Turn the cranks backwards and check to see if there are any links in particular that skip. If you find any try to move them back and forth to make sure the move freely. On a new chain this could be fixed easily.
Old 01-01-10, 12:13 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Checked RD Hangar - it's good
Checked friction shift tension - seemed good but tightened it a bit anyway
The cable does not run under the BB. I have a bit of teflon tubing installed at the elbow where it bends toward the RD. Put some lanolin lube there.
No twisted or stiff links
RD wrap was adjusted to increase the chain's engagement area from 80 degrees to a full 90 degrees on the freewheel. I get the full 9i0 degrees for all gears.
RD had no side to side play and showed almost no case wear. The previous owner said itr saw little use since he bought it new and I believe that given the mechanical condition.

Between rain storms, I rode around the block. No skipping so far.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-01-10, 01:14 PM
bigvegan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the barrel screw on the rear derailleur? That or the derailleur alignment might be the issue.
Old 07-24-15, 08:39 AM
davebarnes
Old Junior Member

Bikes: 1974 Italian frame with Campy Nuovo Record Components, 2016 single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

I suddenly had a chain skipping problem when under load. And, then it started to occur frequently.
The threads here helped me solve the problem: stiff link. Run the chain backwards over the smallest rear cog and there it was.

Of course, before I did that, I wasted time with:
1. Removing front crank and making sure the crank and rings were flat and true.
2. Replacing the freewheel.
3. Greasing the derailleur cables.
4. Adjusting and tightening multiple axles.
Old 07-24-15, 11:42 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
One would only suspect a stiff link if the problem occurs less than once per chain revolution (chain>100 links, chainring<50 links). Slightly stiff links can show up under light pressure as well, but usually as noise (as they pass through the pulley cage) rather than skipping.
Old 07-26-15, 05:04 PM
El Aurens

Bikes: Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearonabike
...it seems to happen more in higher gears than lower...
Is it maybe ONLY in HIGH gear and none of the others?