Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike taken by the police

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike taken by the police

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 10:00 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28974 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
So you'd rather they just left it on the side of the road for somebody else? What's the beef here?
That's what I'm wondering. If none of your friends were at the scene of the crash, what did you expect the police to do with it?
Old 08-22-10, 10:20 PM
Keep SA Lame
Retro Dork

Bikes: Cherry '81 Schwinn Le Tour, '07 Gary Fisher MTB and a bianchi road something or other

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
" ... There will always be another bike, there is only one you.
But without a bike, is he really a whole and complete person??
Old 08-22-10, 11:48 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
OP, should you be riding a bicycle if you are susceptible to unannounced seizures? I don't really know anything about seizures, but could a new hobby replace cycling? Like tennis, maybe?

Just asking.
Old 08-23-10, 12:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
maybe a trike recumbent?

Good luck OP
Old 08-23-10, 06:49 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
wow, glad to hear you're relatively intact, crashes are nasty business, no way around that.

i agree with the sentiment to relax and recover fully, i'm sure the authorities have taken reasonable care of your bike.

good luck court.
Old 08-23-10, 09:11 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
JB Weld should fix that right up. Use duct tape to hold everything while it cures.
Finger nail polish works just as well.

73's
Old 08-23-10, 12:32 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LUCAS
OP, should you be riding a bicycle if you are susceptible to unannounced seizures? I don't really know anything about seizures, but could a new hobby replace cycling? Like tennis, maybe?

Just asking.
i just came back here to inquire about this.
Old 08-23-10, 01:46 PM
johnileo61

Bikes: '10 Ridley Noah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0urt
How much grief do you normally get ...
I'm guessing that this isn't a regular enough occurrence with most so that they would be able to establish some sort of baseline grief getting response.

Just sayin'.
Old 08-24-10, 01:53 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had an accident of some sort last October. I have no idea what happened. I woke up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. The cop offered to take my bike home, but because there was nobody there to take it, he had to take it to the impound lot. Fortunately the bike was still in good shape, and other than a little running around to find out where the impound lot actually was, it all worked out OK. They left the bike outside, unlocked (behind a security fence area of course) but no worse for wear. Unlike my head.
Old 09-01-10, 11:27 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 70 Posts
Sorry, just moved to a new house and got my internet on,

Got my bike back last friday. It will be in the shop for a week or so while they order parts mostly a new fork

Here is the short. When the cops took my fixed gear some time last year after I had a seizure down town. it took the better part of three weeks and angry phone calls because they said the ambulance took it, they hospital said they didn't have it, and the ambulance service said the police took it. Eventually it should up at the hospital.

Given the choice I prefer the bike to go to hospital with me, so I can take it home when I leave. Some places do it like that, some do not.

Yes I have seizures, some times daily, and sometimes once every six months. I also live in a city where the public transportation sucks, and it also seems wasteful to get the special disabled bus which is over worked and understaffed when I know I can finish a triathlon or ride a century. I sat on the corner once while eating a sandwich and woke up after a seizure bleeding and missing my two front teeth. after that. after having to sit in the dentist and get that fixed, and having the dentist rush, do it all at once instead of spreading it out over a span of time like most, and afraid to give me pain killers because of a note on my file about my epilepsy.
Might as well enjoy whats left of my life.

Last edited by c0urt; 09-01-10 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 01:25 AM
VR4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean to pry too much into your personal life, but why aren't you on medication if you have full blow epilepsy? There are many options available to help rein in your condition.
Old 09-02-10, 01:43 AM
c0urt
moving target

I am on meds, one seizure a day is a lot nicer than 5-6 a day and barely able to leave bed. My only real option to get rid of them completely is surgery to remove a chunk of brain. The scar is on my left temporal lobe. It is still in the air if the side effects are worth it.
Old 09-02-10, 07:06 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Just curious but what city do you live in? Glad to hear you're ok.
Old 09-02-10, 07:29 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by slimvela
am i the only that sees something wrong with this? c0urt, how do you ride knowing it's gonna happen often enough that you will not ride carbon? I just gotta know.
No you are not the only one that sees something wrong with the situation. That is why I asked if there are symptoms before the seizures to mitigate accidents involving other vehicles and other people.
Old 09-02-10, 11:17 AM
c0urt
moving target

Just moved, back in Alabama.
And knowing I may get run over is an accepted risk. Even more so after a guy passed out in the cross walk and got run over.

Most seizures are not that bad, and only last for 2-3 minutes, but if someone has never seen one they tend to call an ambulance. Which means a fair amount of paper work. it also requires them to do a full roll out cop/firetrucks/ambulance, and they have to assume head injury. Which getting them to believe you are all right and to let you go can be a pain.

After being thrown off a public bus until I got medical clearance after I had a seizure once (I have since gotten clearance) and actually getting grief from several people for holding them up on the bus. And flights are a pain if they find out you have epilepsy, and it makes it into their records. Getting my phone stolen after a seizure while waiting for the light rail in cali, If I am going to deal with my bike.
Old 09-02-10, 11:32 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
[QUOTE=c0urt;11399834]And knowing I may get run over is an accepted risk. Even more so after a guy passed out in the cross walk and got run over. QUOTE]

While I am in no position to judge anyone, this smacks of being very selfish. While YOU may consider getting run over an acceptable risk, what about the driver who runs you over when you have a seizure? Was the risk acceptable to him/her? The driver is now in a very bad situation that he/she was put into by your disregard for your safety and the safety of others. We all have seen so many disparaging things said about automobile drivers here in BF, yet here you are putting an innocent driver at risk by YOUR behaviour. Perhaps your course of action could be better thought out. I also agree with an earlier poster who suggested other outlets for exercise.

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 09-02-10, 11:39 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
:
Old 09-02-10, 12:45 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I understand your problem; the hell with having epilepsy, you live in Alabama. For those who aren't aware, Birmingham is a VERY car centric, spread out city with an unreliable public busing system providing spotty area service, minimal pedestrian infrastructure, and no viable bicycle infrastructure at all. It may have changed now, but for a long time one of the major suburbs wouldn't allow the public transit system with in its borders because they were supposedly worried about the "criminal element" it might bring. Since the climate is generally temperate and the area seldom gets snow practically none of the roads have shoulders. The city has repeatedly shown up on on lists as being one of the least bicycle friendly cities in the country. If all of that wasn't enough to make bicycling as transportation difficult, Birmingham has a steep mountain grade right smack in the middle of it. The only real advantages to bicycling in Alabama is that people are so startled to see someone doing it on the road that most tend to give plenty of berth and if you break down southern hospitality appears to demand that people stop and offer you help.

I'm glad your reasonable okay, at least alive, and you got your bike back. Bob's Bikes in Homewood is a top notch LBS if you get a chance to check them out and there is a cooperative called Bici Coop at 1211 28th Street South that might be worth a look. The cooperative is out of a LBS that I never had a chance to try when I lived there, but they are one of the few bicycle advocate voices in the city that you'll find.
Old 09-02-10, 12:53 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hit by a car once and broke the small bone in my lower leg and did cosmetic damage to the bike. Didn't realize about the busted leg at the time and didn't want to take an ambulance because I didn't want to leave my bike. I was pretty sure they'd leave it at the scene. The CHP who attended the scene was nice enough to give me a lift and put the bike in his trunk.
Old 09-02-10, 01:00 PM
jkahrs595

Bikes: 197X Schwinn Varsity 10spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd rather have you riding a bike and have a seizure than be driving a car and have one.
Old 09-02-10, 01:15 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
:
+1

Court

It seems it may be time to consider other options. Are there any velodromes or MUPs there? I love the fact you're out riding but it scares me that it appears there is little concern for anyone else on the road - cyclists and drivers. I know nothing about your condition but based on this and several other threads I've read it seems you aren't concerned about anyone else. If someone hits and god forbid kills you because of a seizure it's not just your life at stake. That individual will avae to live with it. Or if something happens and they swerve to avoid and hit another car/cyclist/pedestrian you see where this is going.

What about BMX riding or mountain biking? Are those options where you ive at all? Just something to keep everyone safe and sound.
Old 09-02-10, 01:26 PM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
It seems it may be time to consider other options. Are there any velodromes or MUPs there? [...] What about BMX riding or mountain biking? Are those options where you ive at all? Just something to keep everyone safe and sound.
The guy is doing this for transportation because he can't get a drivers license and public transportation is near nonexistent where he lives.

Just an all round ****ty situation.
Old 09-02-10, 01:34 PM
nachomc

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a 'bent or a trike?
Old 09-02-10, 01:36 PM
c0urt
moving target

This not being done just to work out. I am trying to get places.

It is extremely selfish. There are personal reasons. (I do still have to attend dr.s appointments during the day and stuff, it is faster to take my bike) I am sure most of you can imagine almost completely losing you sense of self reliance. My car is in storage, my motorcycle was sold. I had to move back home with my mom because most people assume it too dangerous for to live alone. I have lost my job for being too much of a risk on several occasions I finally just became a contractor so I can stress over my job and have seizures at home.

I live downtown where it is quiet at night and there are fast food places that close at 2pm and 3 pm because there is no business. My camera shows I have sat in the middle of the street and taken long exposure shots at 9pm. Rush hour is considered long if it last an hour. I also live in a city where they voted against bike trails to budget a new high school football field. Most things here are too far to walk get to. People will not attend summits and other bike traffic friendly events we try to help start.

My risk is to others is probably still less than that of drunk drivers or most other variables I can think of right now. Plus if you leave your driveway you understand there are dangers on the road you might come across. Plus hitting a cyclist here is about as illegal as hitting a traffic pole as long as you were within the speed limit.

As for other types of exercise, I can get out and run have a seizure get run over, lost my life guard license because I can drown due a seizure while swimming. can't wrestle, had to give up karate and competitions. The list is getting short here for things I enjoy. Only race a 1/4 of what I used to. No velodrome within an hour drive. The skate park was closed about 10 years ago to make a parking lot. And mountain biking doesn't get me groceries

Competitive basket weaving? I might be the next great thing

9pm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_MG_2958..jpg (99.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by c0urt; 09-02-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 01:49 PM
c0urt
moving target

On a side note, this thread has gotten far enough off topic. Thanks ya'll for answering the original question.
My new fork has shown up at the bike shop. My bike should be done tomorrow. Still debating if I want a set of open-pros or not
And yes I intend to continue riding. It makes me happy, and since I don't drink or do drugs or play video games. Might as well
go for what I have. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.