Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Forum Great Allegheny Passage Tour 2010?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Forum Great Allegheny Passage Tour 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 03:41 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
The word is "glutton", as in, "The Historian is a glutton. Look at him put away those crabcakes!" Gluten is a protein found in some grains.
Yeah I typed it twice like that too! After just reading it, I realized it was wrong! Well I guess you could be a glutton of gluten.

Last edited by spinnaker; 09-16-09 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 03:44 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by jagraham
I'll volunteer for "Mother Hen" again...

Judy
Will you be willing to wipe people's runny nose?

Seriously, you should just consider riding along.
Old 09-16-09, 05:13 PM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker

wait wait... I have an electric air pump.. can you carry that for me?

Seriously it was great to have a sag but I agree with ol' Spinnaker here, you should think about riding with us
Old 09-16-09, 10:33 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This seems as good a place as any to make this announcement. Maynard Sembower, the manager of the visitor's center in Rockwood, died today. He was 100. As a child in Rockwood, he recalled the Western Maryland Rail Road come through the town in 1912, building the track base that eight decades later would become the Great Allegheny Passage.

I met Maynard twice, in August 2008 and this June. He seemed a little more frail than in 2008 - back in August he stubbornly refused to accept a personal check from me because my penmanship wasn't very good. (I re-signed it for him and bought my t-shirt.) I didn't get his photo last year, but he posed for me this time:

After the photo, Maynard was pleased to tell me "you can see my picture in town." He's the train conductor in the mural that's visible when you cross the bridge from the trail.

Some tributes:

https://uncommonpassage.blogspot.com/...1908-2009.html

https://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_600879.html

Old 09-17-09, 11:45 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ummm.... maybe - just don't ask me to wipe your arse

I have given it thought, and will seriously consider exercising that option. (I'm working on my diplomacy skills - is this ambiguous enough?)

As it stands, I'm not a very strong rider. At GOBA with the trike I was one of the last riders in on a daily basis. I had fun, but setting up camp after a very long day was not. I've seen you guys in action - and you'd probably have to pick me up off of the ground and carry me in a BoB after the first day. ...But a lot could change in a year's time

Judy
Old 09-17-09, 12:04 PM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This seems as good a place as any to make this announcement. Maynard Sembower, the manager of the visitor's center in Rockwood, died today. He was 100. As a child in Rockwood, he recalled the Western Maryland Rail Road come through the town in 1912, building the track base that eight decades later would become the Great Allegheny Passage.
I had the pleasure of chatting with Maynard on more than one occasion. A lovely gentleman -- he will be missed. Here's his obit from the News American:

Maynard R. Sembower, 100, of Rockwood, passed on Sept.16. Friends will be received from 2 to 8 p.m. Friday with a Masonic service to be held at 7 p.m. at the Miller Funeral Home, Rockwood. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Rockwood Church of the Brethren with one hour of visitation prior to the service.

Judy
Old 01-08-10, 10:53 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I figured I would give this a bump.

Any idea when? Looks like I have plans for September but other than that I am open.
Old 01-09-10, 04:56 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on riding the GAP/C&O this year. Come up with a date that doesn't include May 8/9 (TOSRV ride) and I'll ride with you
Old 01-11-10, 07:09 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After riding thru those "spring rains", I was thinking I'd rather see the trail in their fall colors.

Besides, then we could ride in cold rain ;-)

How's early Oct for color down there?
Old 01-12-10, 09:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
I live in Sewickley and did the DC to Pgh ride about a month after you did yours last year. We took AmTrak to Union station in DC and road back here. AmTrak for my son and I was $55 1-way for BOTH of us, and checking a bike was $5. They have nice big bike boxes for $10, and will give you used ones free. It makes the trip a lot easier for logistics.
Old 01-13-10, 06:22 PM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
After riding thru those "spring rains", I was thinking I'd rather see the trail in their fall colors.

Besides, then we could ride in cold rain ;-)

How's early Oct for color down there?
Cumberland to Hancock rain day wasn't cold enough for you?
Old 01-15-10, 06:41 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alhanson
Cumberland to Hancock, I'm still in therapy trying to erase that memory ;-)

Cold rain is when there are some snow flakes mixed in. Nothing like fall colors with some lite snow on them.

This morning was 35F, first time above freezing in a month, spring must be coming :-)
Old 03-03-10, 08:36 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

OK I am going to set some dates to see if that sparks any interest. I gave it a lot of thought and the only time that really works for me is late June. I have a trip planned to Italy in September. Later in the fall while beautiful has it's problems too. First there is the competition with the leaf peepers but more important, no telling what the weather will bring. For all we know, we will have snow in October.

So the date is set. We will start on June 23rd and arrive in Cumberland June 25 and head back to Pittsburgh via some kind of motorized transport June 26.

The reason for the Saturday arrival date is so we can do the tourist thing and perhaps take a historic train ride.

You are welcome to continue on to DC but someone else will have to plan that segment. I will handle Pittsburgh to Cumberland.

I can use help on getting folks back to Pittsburgh. If someone wants to help with that, please speak up.
Old 03-04-10, 08:50 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Spinnaker,

Looks like I'll just be missing you on the trail. My son & I have a trail ride planned from Cumberland to West Newton, from June 19 to 23. We'll be going slow, taking train rides, hiking, whitewater rafting, and some river tubing. If we see you pushing uphill, we'll wave as we float down the river :-)
Old 03-04-10, 08:57 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by alhanson
No, it wasn't. I love riding in the rain.

Old 03-04-10, 09:16 AM
Neil_B

Hey Spinnaker,

Looks like I'll just be missing you on the trail. My son & I have a trail ride planned from Cumberland to West Newton, from June 19 to 23. We'll be going slow, taking train rides, hiking, whitewater rafting, and some river tubing. If we see you pushing uphill, we'll wave as we float down the river :-)
Be sure to see some of the covered bridges in Somerset county.

Old 03-04-10, 10:09 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be sure to see some of the covered bridges in Somerset county.
Will make it a point to see them, but of course "Real" covered bridges are only located in Vermont ;-)
Old 03-04-10, 11:32 AM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 200 Posts
but of course "Real" covered bridges are only located in Vermont ;-)

Darn, I didn't realize I lived in Vermont??? Watch out, this could turn into Cyco's, "Show me your covered bridge" thread

Old 03-04-10, 05:42 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Hey Spinnaker,

Let me know if I can be of any help at this end. Not sure what I can do with you starting in Cumberland but if you get stuck speak up.
Old 03-08-10, 07:59 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
CAP & C&O Logistics - Try AMTRAK

Just a thought but you might want to look into AMTRAK for shuttling from either end of your trip. Last summer my son and I took AMTRAK from downtown Pittsburgh to Union Station in DC to start our ride back to Pittsburgh. It was smooth, relaxing, extremely convenient, right on schedule and cheap! We checked in our bikes and equipment the day before departure to make the early AM departure easier, and the rest was a breeze. It cost us as follows:

Aduld 1-way $44
Child 1-way $22
Check 1 Tandem Bike $5
TOTAL $71

Fares are a little higher if you do not book in advance, and I think AMTRAK has a station in Cumberland and maybe Harper's Ferry. They sell bike boxes for $10, if you want a new one, but we got used boxes free at the station. These are the big boxes that you only have to remove the pedals and turn teh handlebars to fit in. The only small issue we had was taking a loaded tandem down the escalator to get out of the station; that was a new expreience! Just be sure what ever station you use had baggage service so you can check your bike, as I do not think they will normally let you just wheel it onto the train.
Old 03-08-10, 02:29 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Just a thought but you might want to look into AMTRAK for shuttling from either end of your trip. Last summer my son and I took AMTRAK from downtown Pittsburgh to Union Station in DC to start our ride back to Pittsburgh. It was smooth, relaxing, extremely convenient, right on schedule and cheap! We checked in our bikes and equipment the day before departure to make the early AM departure easier, and the rest was a breeze. It cost us as follows:

Aduld 1-way $44
Child 1-way $22
Check 1 Tandem Bike $5
TOTAL $71

Fares are a little higher if you do not book in advance, and I think AMTRAK has a station in Cumberland and maybe Harper's Ferry. They sell bike boxes for $10, if you want a new one, but we got used boxes free at the station. These are the big boxes that you only have to remove the pedals and turn teh handlebars to fit in. The only small issue we had was taking a loaded tandem down the escalator to get out of the station; that was a new expreience! Just be sure what ever station you use had baggage service so you can check your bike, as I do not think they will normally let you just wheel it onto the train.
Amtrak has stops at Harpers Ferry and Cumberland. They have no checked baggage at those stations, so you cannot get the bike on or off there. Ditto for Connelsville.

Old 03-08-10, 05:02 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Amtrak has stops at Harpers Ferry and Cumberland. They have no checked baggage at those stations, so you cannot get the bike on or off there. Ditto for Connelsville.
Yes sadly it's true. Why there is not a roll on service like in other parts of the civilized world I will never know.
Old 03-08-10, 09:26 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
June might be doable for me. I will probaly want a few more days in the saddle so I might park in Williamsport ( convenient to I-81)and ride up to meet you all around Mckeesport .
Old 03-25-10, 07:31 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

We will be happy to have you along velonmad. Hopefully we can talk you into joing us from Pittsburgh. You could always ride on from Erie if you want to stretch your legs.

I am bumping this thread. Anyone else interested? Yhere is no reason you need to terminate in Cumberland. There are lots of options. You can continue on to DC or turn around and ride back to Pittsburgh.

Speaking of which, I am open for ideas of getting us back to Pittsburgh. One idea I had was for Robow to leave his van in Cumberland then get a ride to Pittsburgh. But we would need to get both him and his bike here.

I might also be able to get someone here in Pittsburgh to drive his car down to Cumberland on Saturday night or Sunday morning.
Old 03-26-10, 03:37 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is just a general offer for anybody who ends in DC. I'd be willing to haul somebody 150-200 miles back home in my Honda Element. I have room for 2 or 3 bikes. This depends on my schedule etc. Bonus if there's some place for me to ride my road bike wherever you live. PM me if you're interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.