Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ideal (or range) axle locknut to cog spacing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ideal (or range) axle locknut to cog spacing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 07:32 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 432 Posts
Very useful! OK, finally, I have an axle and, after some torch heat, got the locknuts/cones off the old axle. OLD on the wheel, as it was, was 122mm, and the frame measured 126mm. So, I tried a 4mm spacer (duh!) and slid the wheel into place. The measurement from centerline of cog #65 to the locknut/dropout interface is 5mm, and luckily due to the design of the dropout on THIs wheel, looks like plenty of chain clearance. Measurement "A" per your diagram: 35mm. Time to cut! EDIT: It went well, instead of hacksawing I used the bench grinder, thus I was able to chamfer the end anyway. Hub is together on the bike. Thanks, everyone, for the input!

Originally Posted by bulgie
The spec I'm talking about is what's labeled as dimension "A" in this diagram from Sutherland's:

Last edited by tiger1964; 04-02-24 at 01:10 PM. Reason: .
Likes For tiger1964: