Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hunt carbon rim exploded while inflating

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hunt carbon rim exploded while inflating

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 07:05 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
As from the information listed on our site
I don't know if I have ever looked at a rim/wheel manufacture's web site for additional information on how to properly use their product. Always relied on the stickers on the rims.
Old 12-08-23, 07:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts

I saw this on Facebook ..... "My friend tried seating the tire but unbeknownst to him there was a leak in the rim tape and the wheel was filling up with air and had no where to escape until suddenly it exploded. Unbelievable!"
Old 12-08-23, 07:42 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,870 Times in 3,622 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
A 40 psi max for a 38mm tire is unrealistically low.

I inflate my Barlow Pass rear tire to about 50psi, consistent with their guidelines.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire...re-calculator/

If my rims said 100 psi max, I wouldn't think twice about pumping my tires up to 50 psi. If Hunt Rims really can't handle going over 40 psi for what is considered a thin gravel or standard all-road tire, then they really need to re-think that 100 psi max label on a gravel rim. Nobody rides 26 mm tires on gravel rims.
Yeah I agree they do seem unsuitable for 38mn tyre width. The rim internal width appears to be 21 mm, which seems a bit narrow for a modern gravel wheel. My road bike rims are 22mm for use with 30mm tyres. Also agree that the rim label should make the limits clear for wider tyres.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-08-23, 07:50 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Liked 1,036 Times in 529 Posts
interesting thread. Thanks to all.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 12-08-23, 10:46 AM
Fredo76 
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Liked 1,140 Times in 542 Posts
Customer: I put 80 psi into your 100 psi rim and it assploded. What gives?
Hunt: That's a different kind of pressure!
BF members: Yeah, didn't you know that?
Self, shaking head: Sheeesh!

Memo to Hunt: Wrap some of them crabon fiberees following the cross-section AROUND them hoops, so they don't split apart!
Memo to self: Avoid Hunt wheels, as you would crabon fiberee submarines!
Memo to BF members: The OP is not lucky, and the manufacturer is not blameless. Sheeesh!
Old 12-08-23, 11:10 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,874 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Customer: I put 80 psi into your 100 psi rim and it assploded. What gives?
It's the other way 'round.
He put a hundred into a 50 (or whatever) rim with no functional understanding of applied basic 4th grade math concepts. (multiplication.)

Hunt is being very generous about what is plainly user error.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-08-23, 11:26 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Liked 1,506 Times in 762 Posts
A 40 psi max for a 38mm tire is unrealistically low.

I inflate my Barlow Pass rear tire to about 50psi, consistent with their guidelines.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire...re-calculator/

If my rims said 100 psi max, I wouldn't think twice about pumping my tires up to 50 psi. If Hunt Rims really can't handle going over 40 psi for what is considered a thin gravel or standard all-road tire, then they really need to re-think that 100 psi max label on a gravel rim. Nobody rides 26 mm tires on gravel rims.
what is odd is that the maximum pressure they're specifying doesn't scale linearly with the tire diameter, which it should, based on the definition of hoop stress.

they say in the email that 38c = 40psi, but 28c = 100psi. it should be more like 73psi. even if we take the 100psi as only suitable for 25c, should still be around 65psi.

there's also the discrepancy between the email (38c = 40psi) and the manual (35c-45c = 45psi). by that statement, if the rim can do 45psi on a 45mm tire, it should be able to do 53psi on a 38mm tire. with the linear relationship of the abstract formula, we have anywhere from 40-73psi. i would not buy a rim that had a max of 40psi at 38mm, even though i run low pressures. every time i seated a tire i'd be hiding around the corner.
Old 12-08-23, 12:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,981 Times in 2,085 Posts
The "usual" advice is to fill your tires below whichever number (tire or rim) is smaller for max pressure.

The max for Barlow Pass is 75, and error bars of ±5 psi aren't unheard of.

One would have to know to look for the fine print on Hunt's website to see that the true recommended max psi threshold is nowhere near that.

They need to re-think their label, or perhaps their rim design.

(Having said all that, 50 psi is probably too high for most of my applications. When I mount one of these tires, I usually inflate mine partially, let it sit overnight to settle in, and then slowly pump it up to 50 psi, and this is on hooked aluminum Hed Belgium+ rims.)
Old 12-08-23, 03:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,699 Times in 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I saw this on Facebook ..... "My friend tried seating the tire but unbeknownst to him there was a leak in the rim tape and the wheel was filling up with air and had no where to escape until suddenly it exploded. Unbelievable!"
I guess those ENVE wheels do not have drain holes?
Old 12-08-23, 03:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,496 Times in 1,287 Posts
Never had such a problem with my alloy rims and regular tubed tires.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-08-23, 03:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I bet this type of stuff happens regularly not only to CF rims but also to CF frames and other components. The thing is that most of the people that experience those type of failures are not members of bike forums so we don't really know how frequent CF failures are.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-08-23, 03:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I bet this type of stuff happens regularly not only to CF rims but also to CF frames and other components.
For sure! I bet many people blow up their CF frames and CF cranks by inflating them above atmospheric pressure.
Old 12-08-23, 04:01 PM
Kbarter

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Pics

Appreciate all the feedback. Was going slow, little bursts to try to get the bead to pop, then indeed it popped.

40 psi on 38’s seems awfully low to me, especially if I’m staying in town for the ride, no dirt.

I mentioned internal cavity being the issue to Hunt, said no, it was lip pressure.

Old 12-08-23, 04:27 PM
indyfabz

Liked 17,426 Times in 8,138 Posts
^^^^^^

I have never seen anything like that and would have never thought something like that could happen.
Old 12-08-23, 04:53 PM
Kbarter

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
^^^^^^

I have never seen anything like that and would have never thought something like that could happen.
Was a bit surprised myself.
Old 12-08-23, 04:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,205 Times in 6,778 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
For sure! I bet many people blow up their CF frames and CF cranks by inflating them above atmospheric pressure.
Of course! I fill mine with helium to make it lighter!!!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-08-23, 05:34 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,870 Times in 3,622 Posts
I bet this type of stuff happens regularly not only to CF rims but also to CF frames and other components. The thing is that most of the people that experience those type of failures are not members of bike forums so we don't really know how frequent CF failures are.
Your logic is stunning. You just invented a bunch of imaginary people and came to the conclusion that we don’t hear about all their regular CF failures because they are not members of bike forums. 👏
Old 12-08-23, 05:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Your logic is stunning. You just invented a bunch of imaginary people and came to the conclusion that we don’t hear about all their regular CF failures because they are not members of bike forums. 👏
To be fair, wolfchild is hardly the first who has claimed that his views must be representative of, or at least congruent with, a less vocal silent majority. How very 2020!
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-08-23, 05:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Kbarter
Was going slow, little bursts to try to get the bead to pop, then indeed it popped.
I generally seat the bead with a loosely attached compressor, then add sealant through the valve stem, then inflate again by floor pump.

Originally Posted by Kbarter
40 psi on 38’s seems awfully low to me, especially if I’m staying in town for the ride, no dirt.
A 40 PSI maximum limit on 700x38c tires is indeed quite low. But maybe my rims are just wider.
Old 12-08-23, 06:14 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,874 Times in 1,063 Posts
Never had such a problem with my alloy rims and regular tubed tires.
I've had several customers who have. It's usually been a dad walking in the store, incredulous that the rim he's holding could have a giant split down the middle or the brake track is doing it's best to go on vacation. Usually combined with a story that his kid got hit by a car or somethin' and is not telling the truth. The other usual crowd, sensibly, is the homeless community that tends to use BMX bike for transportation. So maybe the impression is skewed. Either way, I've lost count.

Thus far I've gathered that for most people Force=pressure x area is just too complicated, and if a thing failed, it's the manufacturers fault for making stupid garbage...Never their own fault for using a thing wrong in the first place.

The customer failures I have seen have pretty consistently been 2" tires at road bike pressures. (100+) 'cause some bmx kid thinks higher pressure=faster or to avoid pinch flats as he makes a landing at the skate park.

This is why cheap stuff is made to be idiot proof.

Last edited by base2; 12-08-23 at 07:14 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-08-23, 06:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

So, the key to keeping your CF frames intact is clearly to join Bike Forums.

Old 12-08-23, 07:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

There are a lot of CF failures which you will will never hear about, because people who experienced those failures never post it on social media. The failures you hear about on bikeforums and other social media platforms are just a tip of the iceberg a small fraction of a bigger problem that's out there.
Old 12-08-23, 08:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,981 Times in 2,085 Posts
There are a lot of CF failures which you will will never hear about, because people who experienced those failures never post it on social media. The failures you hear about on bikeforums and other social media platforms are just a tip of the iceberg a small fraction of a bigger problem that's out there.
Not to mention all of those who bleed out from the carbon fiber assplosion shrapnel wounds.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-08-23, 08:40 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,821 Posts
interesting article on tubeless and rim pressures and spokes loosening https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...-tension-drop/

Old 12-08-23, 08:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Not to mention all of those who bleed out from the carbon fiber assplosion shrapnel wounds.
Or vaporized in the asplosion.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.