Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help - Can't Get Comfortable with Dura Ace 7400

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help - Can't Get Comfortable with Dura Ace 7400

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 09:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10639 Post(s)
Liked 12,289 Times in 6,292 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
When I switched to the Soma Hyway one bars, I found that with the compactness of the bars, I had to ADD 30 mm to the stem to get the reach right! ill look for a picture if i can find one
As it happens, switching to Highway Ones coincided with my wanting to shorten my reach just a bit. I thought it was just getting older, but I realized that for years, riding on the hoods had been a bit of a stretch, and I'd often scooch my hands back an inch or so and ride on the ramps instead. I thought about raising the bars, too, as I age, but it turned out that with 1-2cm less reach, the drop wasn't a problem.

30mm is a lot, though. What bars were you running before?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-09-24, 11:34 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
shoota the DA aero levers' hoods do look a bit more comfy that the STIs, but I'm not interested in going to DT shifters on this bike.
Yeah I suppose they are quite a bit different huh. I think you're kinda hosed. My only other suggestion would be to actually roll the compact bar down a little bit, and then bring the shifters up until the hoods have a flat transition off the bars. It'll probably mean you'll sacrifice some aesthetics and ergonomics in the drops, but it doesn't sound like you ride much down there anyway.
Old 04-10-24, 05:22 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
As it happens, switching to Highway Ones coincided with my wanting to shorten my reach just a bit. I thought it was just getting older, but I realized that for years, riding on the hoods had been a bit of a stretch, and I'd often scooch my hands back an inch or so and ride on the ramps instead. I thought about raising the bars, too, as I age, but it turned out that with 1-2cm less reach, the drop wasn't a problem.

30mm is a lot, though. What bars were you running before?
I'm not as well versed in bars as some guys, but I am pretty sure they were Cinelli bars with the traditional big sweeping drops. I am pretty sure that I am more flexible on what works for me than some others. All I know is that when I switched in the Soma bars, the bike's handling was ruined (i.e. twitchy and difficult to hold a good line. When I went from a 90 to a 120, the bike was back to its old self.