Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

French headset advice - Why is everything French so difficult?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

French headset advice - Why is everything French so difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 06:33 AM
El Chaba

Liked 586 Times in 201 Posts
As a note, Stronglight still makes the A9 headset in French thread. It is the newer cartridge bearing version, of course. Stack height is 39 mm . It is harder to source than the BSC version, but you can always get one by inquiring via email to Cycles Alex Singer who always have them in stock.
Old 08-11-23, 07:00 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Liked 1,467 Times in 706 Posts
[QUOTE=Andy_K;22980568 Note the lower headset cup compared to the problematic one above. If it helps, you can mix and match top and bottom cups, and I think you can even use a non-French lower cup as long as it's properly matched with the crown race.[/QUOTE]

That was my experience - I mated a Tange Passage lower set (with a 26.4 crown race to match where the fork crown had been cut for an Italian threaded Campagnolo headset installed without washers or spacers that was force-fitted onto the metric sized and threaded Nervor steerer on a '74 Allegro) with the generic steel headset from a base model Motobecane (a headset allegedly made by Stronglight and sold as an OEM part). The carefully threaded on top pieces massaged the threads back into alignment and it all worked quite nicely - and no surgery needed. I even had room for a centerpull hanger.
Old 08-11-23, 03:15 PM
oneclick 

Liked 1,358 Times in 800 Posts
modified top cone

This wasn't too difficult.
It needed a carbide tipped tool, I think the whole thing was through-hardened.
I left a little land proud so it wouldn't pull any of the plating of at the edge - you can still see the bottom of the Vs:

Likes For oneclick:
Old 08-11-23, 03:16 PM
The Thin Man 

Liked 255 Times in 122 Posts
You made quick work of those peaks, oneclick!

This is the way.
Old 08-11-23, 10:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 5,998 Times in 2,335 Posts
The Atelier isn’t very far…

Set up some time with me and maybe we can get your headset issue resolved.
Old 08-11-23, 11:11 PM
The Thin Man 

Thanks, gugie. Much obliged for your assistance.

oneclick and I have been corresponding and are doing some part alteration through mail horse trading. If it doesn't work out, I've got your number!

Originally Posted by gugie
Set up some time with me and maybe we can get your headset issue resolved.
Old 08-12-23, 07:11 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Liked 2,101 Times in 1,152 Posts
Whew! The HS on my PA-10 might be rubbed on foil over cast iron but it will not go in the trash. I WISH it had teeth like the nicer French bikes as that would decrease the number of trials and errors required to get it good enough.
Old 08-23-23, 12:54 AM
The Thin Man 

As a few suggested, the teeth on the adjustable race could be ground down thus eliminating the need for the 5mm toothed washer and allowing for proper securing with the lockring.
oneclick did a quick test of the adjustable race (shown above) then sent it to me all the way from Nova Scotia. It fit like a dream with no play in the threads and even slimmed down the race's profile a bit as mine seemed to be a couple millimeters larger in width. Most importantly, it allows for me to bypass the toothed washer and install the lockring. There is a small gap in between the lockring and the steerer tube but it's a scant 1.5mm space and to me, that's good enough for a French bike.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the clever solutions and a huge thank you to oneclick. Now, let's see what other maddening conundrum the French can throw at me as I continue my restoration journey on this bicycle...

Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 08-23-23, 03:31 AM
oneclick 

You have enough threads to put a centre-pull hanger; the best ones are the stainless Mafac ones (but of course).
Old 08-23-23, 04:16 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,650 Times in 3,291 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
The teeth on the adjustable cup could be ground down, thus eliminating the need for the 5mm toothed washer and allowing for proper securing with the lockring.
How do you lock the locknut to the adjustable cup without flats on the cup and no lock washer?
Old 08-23-23, 04:25 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,650 Times in 3,291 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think you can even use a non-French lower cup as long as it's properly matched with the crown race.
That's how I built a Campy SR headset for my French bike:

- Bought a English SR headset
- Milled the fork crown to 26.4mm
- Bought a French threaded SR adjustable cup and locknut.
Old 08-23-23, 06:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,622 Times in 1,525 Posts
I can’t blame the French bike industry for the standards they chose. It really did look like the metric system was going to take everything, with a few exceptions such as bearing balls. The rest of the world didn’t follow. To me, that is the shame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-23-23, 06:02 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
How do you lock the locknut to the adjustable cup without flats on the cup and no lock washer?
Lots of adjustable cups have no flats, just pinholes in difficult places or merely knurling.

I use a pair of soft-jaw pliers - ATI Industries ATI508K:

They are around $30 and you can get replacement pads for about $2.

I got two pairs at the Boeing surplus store back in the 90s, great tools for bike headsets.
Old 08-23-23, 08:55 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by oneclick
I use a pair of soft-jaw pliers - ATI Industries ATI508K:

They are around $30 and you can get replacement pads for about $2.

I got two pairs at the Boeing surplus store back in the 90s, great tools for bike headsets.
Nice tool! I'll have to add that to my list.
I used the poor man's method of a set of high quality channel locks with a tightly wrapped shop towel around the headset. It's not pretty but I've found that if you go slow, you can do anything right.
Old 09-01-23, 03:40 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,129 Times in 1,123 Posts
Having just returned from two weeks in France, a perspective of why everything is so difficult for Americans when it comes to French things.

We are barbarians.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-01-23, 04:35 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by downtube42
Having just returned from two weeks in France, a perspective of why everything is so difficult for Americans when it comes to French things.

We are barbarians.
The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land - Chesterton