Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TdF Stage 7 - Friday July 10 - 224 km - Barcelona (Spain) → Arcalis (Andorra)

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TdF Stage 7 - Friday July 10 - 224 km - Barcelona (Spain) → Arcalis (Andorra)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 01:24 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
The stage looks brutal to me because of it's length and nearly constant climbing. I believe the peleton will split into at least two main groups by the midpoint of the race. Then it will get further strung out on the last climb. Sastre and Evans may try to attack on the last climb if they are up to it. But Sastre is probably the only one who could get much time on anyone. However, I think that it is more smart to just ride at least three or four mountain stages and let natural attrition even out the field. Evans and Sastre will probably be up into the top 10 after 2-3 mountain stages without doing anything special.

But look, Astana has six guys that can drive the pace of this stage fast enough to bury all but about 6-8 riders. So I don't even think that they need to try and win this stage. Astana will just set a blistering pace that few can follow and then depending on where riders are at in the last 10 kilometers of the race they will either hold it there or send AC,LA and LL up the last part of the climb to further distance themselves from the field.
Reasonable thoughts here, but the strategy you suggest for Astana, just doesn't sound like what Bruyneel would do... Armstrong possibly, but not Bruyneel. Someone from Astana is going to try to get up the road ahead of the rest - whether in an early break, or at some point before the last climb starts.
Old 07-09-09, 01:38 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the shark
I have read in a couple of places that it may not be steep enough ( like the Alps are) to really split the elite group .
A lot of pros will tell you that overall the Pyrenees has harder climbing than the Alps. Don't discount it.
Old 07-09-09, 01:51 PM
the shark

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it sounds like most think the uphill finish is enought to separate the GC from the rest. I am hoping it also gives us a good indication of who top 5 really are and can Lance still hang with younger bucks.
If not have to wait till last week of the tour.
Old 07-09-09, 02:02 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope Linus Gerdemann makes the selection. That should make it interesting.

Richard
Old 07-09-09, 02:04 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't count on LL going off the front. He has stated before the Pyrenees give him trouble.

Richard
Old 07-09-09, 02:23 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
What kind of sadist puts two sprints on the slopes of an HC climb?

Definitely will be fireworks here.
I'd say idiot, not sadist.

Oh wait, are there time bonuses for sprint points placing this year? That is the only they could be important.

Oh wait there is one small chance. A KOM type dropping everyoen early and getting an extra 10 seconds. Seems a long shot to waste 2 sprint points on.
Old 07-09-09, 02:52 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Keith99
I'd say idiot, not sadist.

Oh wait, are there time bonuses for sprint points placing this year? That is the only they could be important.

Oh wait there is one small chance. A KOM type dropping everyoen early and getting an extra 10 seconds. Seems a long shot to waste 2 sprint points on.
No time bonuses - period. Six sprint points per sprint.

edit - from the official race rules:

• pour chaque sprint intermédiaire, les
3 premiers coureurs classés reçoivent
respectivement 6, 4 et 2 points.

Last edited by USAZorro; 07-09-09 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 03:26 PM
the shark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
Don't count on LL going off the front. He has stated before the Pyrenees give him trouble.

Richard
I was more worried of LL going off the back than the front
Old 07-09-09, 04:49 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Throwing this out there... with 4 Astana riders in the top 5 and preping to dominate, it sounds like Lotto, Saxo, Garmin, Columbia, etc, or a combination of either, need to band together.
Old 07-09-09, 04:51 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No time bonuses - period. Six sprint points per sprint.

edit - from the official race rules:

• pour chaque sprint intermédiaire, les
3 premiers coureurs classés reçoivent
respectivement 6, 4 et 2 points.
French to English, if it can be of use...
• for each intermediate sprint, the first 3 riders
across the line will receive 6, 4, and 2 points respectively.
Old 07-09-09, 05:01 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eljimberino
Evans and Sastre working together? They have to try something. I can see A Schleck chipping in too to break Armstrong. Menchov will go off the front. Gesink to work with him? Contador strolls, loses no time or energy.
Unfortunately, Gesink is out of the Tour with a broken wrist after yesterday's crash. I'm going with Andy Schleck to take the stage!
Old 07-09-09, 05:05 PM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets not forget that this is the first day into the mountains and legs dont always respond after 6 flat stages. So gaps may be bigger on those that dont adjust to the tilt upward.

How about the Euskaltel boys, shouldnt this be a day for them to go out and put the bright orange in a break away?

I think with the long run outs on the following 2 stages after the mountains i think Astana will look to put time into everyone. I dont think the next 2 days present nearly as much of an opportunity as stage 7 does. I would be VERY surprised if Contador doesnt have yellow tommorow night....probably for the rest of the TdF from that point on. Then LA, LL and Kloden for a podium spot.
Old 07-09-09, 05:29 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reasonable thoughts here, but the strategy you suggest for Astana, just doesn't sound like what Bruyneel would do... Armstrong possibly, but not Bruyneel. Someone from Astana is going to try to get up the road ahead of the rest - whether in an early break, or at some point before the last climb starts.
You are probably right. I think it is too early in the race to try the tactic that I mentioned. The interesting thing is that both Popo and Zubeldia though not considered GC contenders are currently in a position that sending one or both of them on a break would amount to an attack on all the other important GC riders. And they are both good climbers.

If Zubeldia went on a break and could hold it off till the last couple of kilometers it might blow up any team tactics that might exist for some GC hopeful teams. Sastre, Evans, the Schleck brothers would be forced to chase. Or lose even more time.
Old 07-09-09, 05:32 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hezz
If Zubeldia went on a break and could hold it off till the last couple of kilometers it might blow up any team tactics that might exist for some GC hopeful teams. Sastre, Evans, the Schleck brothers would be forced to chase. Or lose even more time.
Not sure I follow... if Zubeldia is not a GC contender, why would Sastre, Schleckx2, Evans, and Co chase him?
Old 07-09-09, 05:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by xfimpg
Not sure I follow... if Zubeldia is not a GC contender, why would Sastre, Schleckx2, Evans, and Co chase him?
Two words: Pereiro, 2006.

Difference is, Zubeldia would be a lot more difficult to make time up on.
Old 07-09-09, 05:48 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two words: Pereiro, 2006.

Difference is, Zubeldia would be a lot more difficult to make time up on.
I wasn't watching the TdF back then.

I do know that Pereiro came in 2nd, and then won after disqualification from Rasmussen, but I don't have the context as to how he got to 2nd, which is what I think you're referring to...

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong; 2007 was Rasmussen. 2006 was Landis.

I thought it would easier for them to make up time on Zubeldia seeing as he's not as strong as the other 4 Astana in the Top 5?
Forgive my newbieness on these things...

Last edited by xfimpg; 07-09-09 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 06:14 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
HI....

tomorrow astana will start doing the train trick... all of the astana domestiques will start the race to a high pace... then the peloton will start segregating and people will start to die little by little. Around the last climb only the people who really have chances in the mountains will stand in that group.

Bye bye cancelara, but since he have been doing so well wonder if he give us a surprise but i doubt it. Soler... anybody remember him? Soler might be there in the front group. LL ?? he will have a crappy day tomorrow. I see Lance showing all his genius tomorrow AGAIN! (and i dont like him) The shleck guys? who knows... AC and Sastre??? Who knows... both of them are like moody type of racers...

Cadel needs a good wheel tomorrow... Kloden is his wheel tomorrow.. Why? Kloden and evans have similar styles, ride to anybody elses wheel means suicide for evans.

Good day to watch tomorrow

Cya
Old 07-09-09, 06:23 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xfimpg
I wasn't watching the TdF back then.

I do know that Pereiro came in 2nd, and then won after disqualification from Rasmussen, but I don't have the context as to how he got to 2nd, which is what I think you're referring to...

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong; 2007 was Rasmussen. 2006 was Landis.

I thought it would easier for them to make up time on Zubeldia seeing as he's not as strong as the other 4 Astana in the Top 5?
Forgive my newbieness on these things...
You gotta love someone who apologizes for newbie-ness...even though we all stand in the same shoes more often than we care to admit!

It's all good....the end result is that we watch the Tour, cheer for our favorites and have a good time doing it!
Old 07-09-09, 06:32 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
You gotta love someone who apologizes for newbie-ness...even though we all stand in the same shoes more often than we care to admit!

It's all good....the end result is that we watch the Tour, cheer for our favorites and have a good time doing it!
Thanks Suzie!

It certainly is fun to watch, and once you start clueing in on the strategy, even more fun!
Old 07-09-09, 06:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
HI....

tomorrow astana will start doing the train trick... all of the astana domestiques will start the race to a high pace... then the peloton will start segregating and people will start to die little by little. Around the last climb only the people who really have chances in the mountains will stand in that group.

Bye bye cancelara, but since he have been doing so well wonder if he give us a surprise but i doubt it. Soler... anybody remember him? Soler might be there in the front group. LL ?? he will have a crappy day tomorrow. I see Lance showing all his genius tomorrow AGAIN! (and i dont like him) The shleck guys? who knows... AC and Sastre??? Who knows... both of them are like moody type of racers...

Cadel needs a good wheel tomorrow... Kloden is his wheel tomorrow.. Why? Kloden and evans have similar styles, ride to anybody elses wheel means suicide for evans.

Good day to watch tomorrow

Cya
yeah, evans, kloden, menchov & levi are all at the same climbing level-consistently. 5 bucks says all four finish
within 15 seconds of each other.
Old 07-09-09, 06:54 PM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much time does Lance give away to Contador tommorow? Im going with 25-35 seconds.
Old 07-09-09, 07:03 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still sticking my neck out and saying that Astana doesn't want to defend the jersey this early. I have been wrong before....many times, and this will probably add to the list!
Old 07-09-09, 07:20 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by ultraman6970
... Soler... anybody remember him? Soler might be there in the front group. ...
Since we're talking about guys who aren't in the race, I'm thinking Basso, DiLuca and Ricco will all be tough to drop.

Definitely agree this will be a great stage to watch.

I think Pelizotti will be in the mix with his Liquigas compadres, Nibali and Kreuziger.

Astana in yellow tomorrow night. Question is, Lance or Alberto?
Old 07-09-09, 07:53 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
Unfortunately, Gesink is out of the Tour with a broken wrist after yesterday's crash. I'm going with Andy Schleck to take the stage!
+1!
He's on my roster... he has to win this stage! the first of many, of course!
Old 07-09-09, 07:56 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should have re-thought my pick. I still hope it's Andy Schleck but I think he'll be too well marked. Kreuziger might have been a better dark horse choice, since I often don't like going with the obvious favorite. It is an "Hors Categorie" climb so anything can happen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.