Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Alternative Handlebars!

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Alternative Handlebars!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 09:41 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kevbo
Treking bars, AKA butterfly bars, are another option for upright cycling. I have mine mounted "upside down", as I like the angle that puts my wrists at when I use the outer part.
Great thread.

I have trekking bars, too. I do like them, but I can't say I love the angle of the outside part. I have mine "backwards," with the open end farthest forward, and I tend to swap positions between the far forward ends and the farther back flat spots.

I'd love more of a swept back handlebar that gives me the option of full, up-right, cruiser-style riding with another lower, more forward hand position for tucking in out of the wind. Does anyone find that they use their bars that way. A lot of the swept back bars that I really like the look of also look like they may only offer one hand position.
Old 06-02-08, 10:26 AM
Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Great thread.

I have trekking bars, too. I do like them, but I can't say I love the angle of the outside part. I have mine "backwards," with the open end farthest forward, and I tend to swap positions between the far forward ends and the farther back flat spots.

I'd love more of a swept back handlebar that gives me the option of full, up-right, cruiser-style riding with another lower, more forward hand position for tucking in out of the wind. Does anyone find that they use their bars that way. A lot of the swept back bars that I really like the look of also look like they may only offer one hand position.
Flip an Albatross bar, and you have one that has some nice aero positions, Especially if you have Ergon grips on it. The flair on the Ergons makes for good elbow pads when you are using the front of the flipped bar in a tuck.
Old 06-02-08, 11:16 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by AllenG
Flip an Albatross bar, and you have one that has some nice aero positions, Especially if you have Ergon grips on it. The flair on the Ergons makes for good elbow pads when you are using the front of the flipped bar in a tuck.
Great. Thanks for the tip. I had also been looking at the mustache bar, but it looks like it's mainly drop, but not much forward sweep. The Albatross may be a good combination of both.
Old 06-02-08, 12:04 PM
Allen

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Great. Thanks for the tip. I had also been looking at the mustache bar, but it looks like it's mainly drop, but not much forward sweep. The Albatross may be a good combination of both.
Chip runs a flipped Albatross on his Big Dummy.

His rig.
Old 06-02-08, 12:36 PM
Rob_E

When I look at that, I wonder if the swept back part isn't too low for me, but the "hood" area may be about right. Maybe I'd like the Albatross right-side-up. I really need to play around with some different options, I guess (I really need to get the bike these bars would go on, first, I guess). There's lots of times I'd rather be straight up, looking around, and taking my time. For that I feel that the bars should be almost parallel to the top tube, and at least a few inches higher than my seat. But there are definitely times when I want a boost of speed or to just get out of the wind, so I feel lower and far-forward drops would be the thing. I'm just not sure I'm seeing anything that has quite as much difference as I think I want. Of course I could easily find that I'm not actually able to use a bar that's set up the way I think I want it. The Albatross seems close, though, and I've heard more than one person talking them up.
Old 06-02-08, 12:46 PM
Allen

Right-side-up Albatrosses on my Xtracycle set up, for contrast. No real good tuck position though.

Last edited by Allen; 06-02-08 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-08, 12:49 PM
Allen

You may like the On-One Marys. I find them to be a good compromise between upright and tuck. Only one hand position, but they are comfortable to hunker down on.

Old 06-02-08, 01:19 PM
Rob_E

One thing I've learned from swapping my flat bars out for the trekking bars is that I love being able change hand positions. Whatever I outfit my next bike with, it'll have more than one option in that department. I believe the Albatross is one that I've looked at before, and hearing more good things about it means that it definitely goes on my list of potential handlebars. The On-One Marys look like a good compromise between different styles, but I don't see them as something I'd prefer over my current set up.
Old 06-02-08, 03:54 PM
moore.sean

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) What do you all do when you have to brake while in the alternate hand positions? Is it as simple as making a grab for the "braking" position?

2) Is that why some people run flipped bars on riser stems? To give a more upright "hood" position?
Old 06-02-08, 04:06 PM
Allen

Yes to both.
Old 06-02-08, 04:09 PM
moore.sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
Yes to both.
Sweet. Looks like I should try to get a very adjustable stem or two when I build my cargofrankenbike.

Looking at the Wald bars now, instead of the Albatross (I'm pretty damn cheap)... although the general aesthetic of the Albatross may convince me I "need" them. After all, that's really the only thing you look at on your bike when you're riding it!
Old 06-03-08, 08:27 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by moore.sean
1) What do you all do when you have to brake while in the alternate hand positions? Is it as simple as making a grab for the "braking" position?
Another alternative, which I haven't used, but would like to, is a 2nd, in-line, brake lever so that you can activate the brakes from two different hand positions.
Old 06-03-08, 09:50 AM
Rosie8

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for users of alternative style handlebars. (donnamb has heard my question in Women's forum.) Are any of them narrow enough for a woman's shoulder width (16-17") and compatible with a Giant Suede, with SRAM MRX 7-speed twist shifters? Right now it looks like my grips, grip shifter and brake levers take up about 7" of space on the right side. Thanks.
Old 06-03-08, 01:27 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Rosie8
Question for users of alternative style handlebars. (donnamb has heard my question in Women's forum.) Are any of them narrow enough for a woman's shoulder width (16-17") and compatible with a Giant Suede, with SRAM MRX 7-speed twist shifters? Right now it looks like my grips, grip shifter and brake levers take up about 7" of space on the right side. Thanks.
Nitto Moustache bars in mtn diameter. But with hands on the outside flats, not so narrow.
Van Dessel Moustache bars--narrower than Nitto.
Soma Sparrow--narrower than Nitto.

Last edited by mconlonx; 06-04-08 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-03-08, 08:49 PM
Rosie8

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks mconlonx for your quick reply. Will be seeing my LBS soon to see what they can order.

Love the looks of all the bikes pictured.
Old 06-03-08, 09:00 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by itsmoot
When I looked at auxillary, aka crosstop levers, they only worked with cantilever brakes since the folks mostly using them were cyclocross racers. There was one type available from Pauls Components that had an alternative pivot point to use with linear/v-brakes, but they were very expensive.
You'd want to do some checking because I haven't actually tried this, but it seems like one of the Travel Agents solutions (from Problem Solvers) might work. It's supposed to make regular brake levers work with v-brakes, and there's a model that works with disc brakes as well. With that installed, it seems like you might be able use the auxiliary brake levers regardless of what type of brakes you have.

But I'm glad you pointed out the potential incompatibility, because I wasn't aware.

My old drop bars had brakes like you describe. It nice to have some stopping power from both hand positions, but I found that in general the extension bar did not work as well as the lever. And if you found yourself in an emergency situation, you would always go for the brake lever at your fingertips, not the most efficient one (or at least I did), so sometimes they were a bit of a hazard. I'm hoping the modern solutions are a little more efficient.
Old 06-09-08, 10:37 AM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
On our tandem, I have typical (long cable travel) cross levers with V-brakes, but we are using travel agents for brifter compatibility anyway. Using the inline version of the travel agent, mounted near head tube, reduces cable stretch related issues on the rear brake of the tandem due to the long cable. This approach might be helpful on Xtrafied cargo bikes or Big Dummies.

Old 06-10-08, 01:35 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tightwad
I like any bar that allows me to sit upright on my butt not my arms/shoulders like an ape.
Schwinn "Apehanger"/Stringray/Crate type
Old 06-10-08, 07:07 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any other black northroads bars besides the Soma Sparrow? I would like a bit more length for the shifters/brakes/grips than the soma provides. Must be black.
Old 06-11-08, 09:56 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Donna (or anybody else), have you tried any of these on your Breezer? I've found the Breezer's stock bars to be less comfortable than the North Roads on my vintage 3-speed...
Old 01-30-10, 05:47 PM
arcade
vice campaign

Bikes: 1980's Melton track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing back an old thread for the sake of not starting a new one, and so you guys know i searched.

i'm looking for a Promenade-style handlebar, like these

only thing is, i don't really feel like buying the $50 aluminum nitto version. is there a name for these bars that i am unaware of? Is there another brand that makes this same design? i have only been able to find this exact shape with nitto.
i know i could go rummage through a bike co-op or used parts store, and i have, but with no luck so far.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-10, 05:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
If you are gonna bring back an old thread you could not do much better than this...

Have since discovered the joy of trekking bars which is due in part to having to change my set up because of my back not being what it used to be.

Am sure folks will be able to help with the search for alternative promenade bars as well.
Old 01-30-10, 08:11 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arcade
Bringing back an old thread for the sake of not starting a new one, and so you guys know i searched.

i'm looking for a Promenade-style handlebar, like these

only thing is, i don't really feel like buying the $50 aluminum nitto version. is there a name for these bars that i am unaware of? Is there another brand that makes this same design? i have only been able to find this exact shape with nitto.
i know i could go rummage through a bike co-op or used parts store, and i have, but with no luck so far.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
This from Wald looks kinda close to me.
Old 01-30-10, 11:19 PM
arcade
vice campaign

Bikes: 1980's Melton track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hah, funny you found those. i actually own them, and while they are comfy, they are far too wide for my liking, and they look out of place on my bike. i want a more squared up bar, like the promenades. thanks for the effort though, you're headed in the right direction.
Old 01-31-10, 09:31 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where is the love for Trekking/Butterfly handlebars? (I only saw a passing mention of them on page 1 of this thread).

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these bars for the captain position on my tandem. I just picked up some bar ends for the stock handlebars but I think these bars will be better for longer distance stuff.

Last edited by HandsomeRyan; 01-31-10 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added more pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.