Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 10:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7403 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,507 Posts
There was rain and maybe even snow in the forecast, and I didn't feel like riding all the way. But I did ride Citi Bike from home (near 14 St) to the dentist on 51 St. Then I rode Citi Bike to the 59 St subway station and then rode the subway to work. No rain so far. Midtown traffic was freaking insane as usual. And I pedaled like hell, just because. I got hot even though the weather is cold and damp. It's good to seize the day and move with vigor.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-23-16, 10:56 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So good to be back on the bike! Had some time off due to a broken crank - and by the time I got that fixed had a week where I really didn't care to be outside. Supposed to be rainy and nasty up through tomorrow here, getting 2-4 inches of rain, but it looks like that will be mostly tomorrow. So I had a great ride in today. If it is thundering or downpouring I'll have the wife come to my rescue. If not, game on!
Tried out some new shorts today, as well. They are baggies with a padded liner. They are quite light weight and my thinking was that if I did get drenched on the way in, they should at least dry fast. They were on sale at REI so I got them a few weeks ago. I wish I had a local one!
Old 02-23-16, 12:10 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a bike on a road this weekend! Our golf cart broke on the island my in laws live on and I rode a whole 1 km at walking pace (I was with friends).

It felt great a was really reassuring, but I then spent the evening scouring for an old mtb to use. The addiction is still alive.

Last edited by joeyduck; 02-23-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 12:25 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Major weather event predicted for this afternoon into tomorrow with very heavy rain, wind, hail, etc. etc. So I drove today.

Darn, only the second commute day I've missed so far this year.
Old 02-23-16, 12:53 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wet and kinda chilly today. Tomorrow wetter but warmer.
Old 02-23-16, 03:54 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Great to hear @joeyduck!!

I forgot to get on here and post this morning. It rained all night last night but stopped at 6am. I leave home at 7am and was fine riding in. Although it is majorly overcast and more is on the way, I should be good getting home. Tomorrow morning may be another issue though. Heavy rain is forecasted from early morning until after lunch.

Plus, I'm fighting a minor cold - runny nose, sore throat, etc.
Old 02-24-16, 06:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Constant drizzle this morning, with intermittent rain to make things interesting, couldn't see the road surface very well in the dark, and hit a pothole. I see that pothole every day, and I usually steer clear of it, but I forgot about it today. Pinch flat. Walked a short way to change the tube under the I-95 overpass, but the new tube failed at the valve. Walked a half mile to a street light bright enough to patch the old tube, but even with the better light my first patch missed both holes. Not a total loss, though: the first patch gave me an excellent reference point and I was able to get the next two patches right where they belonged. Vulcanizing cement works in the rain! But it's really hard to wait long enough for it to dry. Pumped up and rode off, got to the station only about an hour late. Cold, wet, with dirty hands, but it felt like a victory that I'd resisted the temptation to go home and go back to bed.

Edit: Okay, I admit, I was pretty surprised when I got back to the bike at 4 PM and found the back tire was still fully inflated. But it was! Patched the failed tube after I got home: the hole was in the factory glue, where they stick the valve assembly to the rest of the tube. I probably should have just tossed it, but maybe the patch will hold.

Last edited by rhm; 02-25-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 07:07 AM
mgw4jc

Another rainy night, but there seemed to be a break around 6am. I left early hoping to get to the office before the next splotch of green on the map got there. I didn't, but the green splotch wasn't producing much actual rain either. The whole ride was more of a misting experience. I was damp, but the 15mph wind (the one I create) kept me dry enough. I did start to sweat a little as I dressed for 48 degrees but it warmed to about 52 during the ride. High is for 68!
Old 02-24-16, 08:04 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I rode a bike on a road this weekend!
The duck rides again! Today could win as crappiest ride of the year - 34F, constant rain, winds gusting to 30+ mph. Good news is it was mostly a tailwind - there were times I could literally feel it pushing me. Bad news it's supposed to pick up and rain turn to snow with winter storm warning. I'm taking the bus home
Old 02-24-16, 08:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
23 degrees this morning. No wind or rain, but 90% humidity which made the cold seem a lot more extreme than it was.

Did three things I haven't done much of since November: rode my hybrid instead of the winter bike, used my clipless shoes instead of my winter boots and used my regular glasses instead of my ski goggles.

The hybrid did fine without studded tires even though there were occasional patches of ice. I would just stop pedaling and make sure I wasn't turning at all when I went over them. It's supposed to get up to 35 degrees today so I'm guessing I won't have these ice patches on the way home.

Clipless shoes weren't a problem. I was worried maybe my feet would be cold as my shoes are vented, but they did surprisingly well. I was wearing a single layer of socks under them, but they were Merino wool so that probably helped. And I didn't even forget that I had to unclip at stop signs over the winter, so that was a bonus.

The regular glasses, however, probably should have stayed at home. I wore them because my hybrid doesn't have a handlebar mounted mirror and I wanted a mirror for the commute. My regular glasses have a Take-A-Look mirror mounted on them which don't work on my ski goggles. However, once I was rolling I quickly figured out how much warmer those ski goggles are. I rode about 1/2 the 8 mile commute with an "ice cream" headache until my face went numb, after which it was more tolerable. While the mirror was handy, I should have warn the goggles and just turned my head more often.
Old 02-24-16, 03:39 PM
mgw4jc

I've been listening to the wind for the past half hour. Weather data says 27mph from the SW. Luckily I go NE, but I anticipate some cross winds on some parts. I'll find out in about 25 minutes.
Old 02-25-16, 06:00 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Nice morning for a change! Moon just past full, so pretty high in the sky when I left, an lots of stars and planets. Not that I was looking up, but it helps somehow. A bit of a headwind, though. Soooo much better than yesterday.
Old 02-25-16, 07:23 AM
mgw4jc

Yesterday's ride was faster than average due to the winds that were part tail and part cross. I averaged 17.8 miles per hour, about 2 miles an hour faster than normal.

Although the winds weren't as bad this morning, they were still blowing in the same general direction which meant part headwind and part crosswind for my ride to work. I averaged 15mph. Last night's news showed several trees blown over either onto streets or homes.

I encountered this on my way in. It was a little bigger than I am able to bunny hop over, so I had to dismount.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TreeDown1.jpg (95.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-25-16, 08:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not surprised by the tree down along your commute route, m-guy. We had tremendous storms in Raleigh yesterday, with several tornadoes spotted, high winds in general, heavy rain and large hail. Fortunately, I heeded the forecasts and drove because there was no way I would have ridden home through that storm. My commute route this morning was littered with branches, pine cones and other debris, but no trees.

My ride this morning was brutal, with strong headwinds and gusts most of the way. Temps were relatively mild in the low 40s, but it felt much colder due to the wind. Unfortunately, the wind is supposed to shift northward during the day, so I am likely to be fighting a headwind all the way home as well. When I got downtown, a few gusts felt like they would knock me over while I was sitting at a red light.
Old 02-25-16, 08:29 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
Rode home last night in a 34 degree drizzle. As I expected, last night's rain froze to the ground when the temps dropped overnight.

This morning was pretty windy. Combine that with me being back on the studded tire winter bike and I was like rolling molasses. But I made it.
Old 02-25-16, 10:05 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I encountered this on my way in. It was a little bigger than I am able to bunny hop over, so I had to dismount.
I had almost the same size tree fall across the Mt. Vernon trail I use to ride from VA into DC. In the dark it really crept up on me.
Old 02-25-16, 10:49 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Pea soup fog, sopping wet when I got in, lot of fog colored cars w/ no lights.
Old 02-25-16, 11:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
First and only commute this week. I took the MTB and had fun. Once again eerily lonely for a clear, temperate, sunny morning.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-25-16, 11:32 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Constant drizzle this morning, with intermittent rain to make things interesting, couldn't see the road surface very well in the dark, and hit a pothole. I see that pothole every day, and I usually steer clear of it, but I forgot about it today. Pinch flat. Walked a short way to change the tube under the I-95 overpass, but the new tube failed at the valve. Walked a half mile to a street light bright enough to patch the old tube, but even with the better light my first patch missed both holes. Not a total loss, though: the first patch gave me an excellent reference point and I was able to get the next two patches right where they belonged. Vulcanizing cement works in the rain! But it's really hard to wait long enough for it to dry. Pumped up and rode off, got to the station only about an hour late. Cold, wet, with dirty hands, but it felt like a victory that I'd resisted the temptation to go home and go back to bed.
Your day sounds a bit like Tuesday last week for me. Went to GWB south sidewalk but it was closed. Went to Weehawken ferry (my usual alternate route) and got a flat on the way there. Felt a hop in the back tire and thought it was tire casing but now think it was the tube. Got into Manhattan from the ferry and got another flat going uptown. Changed that, went to work. On way home from work went to GWB but sidewalk was still closed. Saw a guy with a recumbant and fairing that called the bridge authority and they claimed that they would open the sidewalk. Waited with him for about an hour but they never came. So I took the bus in uptown port authority across the bridge (good in a pinch and only $1.8X for 1 zone). Got off the bus and finished the rest of my commute with a pinch flat at a traintrack at the end. Yeeay. At least I made it to the friggin car.
Old 02-25-16, 11:38 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Todays commute was just peachy. 52F and no rain. Awsome. Just saw a little more tree debris on Riverside Drive in Manhattan. Was nothing compared to others north and west of here according to the radio. One of the guys at work here stayed home since he lost power at his house in CT. Am sure he's glad he has a generator today...
Old 02-25-16, 01:37 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Chilly, uneventful commute this morning, around 33-37 degrees. Sunny, finally. First time riding my regular road commuter bike since Wednesday of last week.
Old 02-25-16, 02:57 PM
HydroG33r 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crossed bike mechanic off the list last night of potential trades I could pursue if I ever wanted a change of pace.

Two nights ago noticed my BB7 disc brakes were feeling a bit mushy, so tightened in the pads. Was incredibly happy with my work, especially on the rear brake where the brakes seemed incredibly responsive on my ride to/from work yesterday.

Got home last night and backed my bike into the garage only to hear squeaking; my sensitive ear quickly pinpointed the rear disc brake. Picked up the rear end of the bike, pedaled with me hand, and the wheel stopped after ~2 rotations. Apparently I'd tightened the brakes so much that the inside pad was pressed right up against the rotor; so much that there wasn't the telltale 1 rub per revolution sound that would indicate it was just a LITTLE too close. It was so close it was rubbing the whole rotation.

Funny thing is that it didn't really affect my time. Wonder if the brakes basically just canceled out the purported ~20W of reduced rolling resistance for my new Conti GP 4 seasons compared to the old Schwalbe Marathons I switched out of last week?
Old 02-25-16, 02:58 PM
HydroG33r 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I rode a bike on a road this weekend! Our golf cart broke on the island my in laws live on and I rode a whole 1 km at walking pace (I was with friends).

It felt great a was really reassuring, but I then spent the evening scouring for an old mtb to use. The addiction is still alive.
Awesome!
Old 02-25-16, 03:08 PM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had planned to commute today, until the wife asked if I could work from home and wait for the electrician (to fix the lights in the bathroom). Soooo... hopefully tomorrow.
Old 02-25-16, 03:35 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
40 degrees and dark, but the moon was still up and nearly full and they have stars out in the country where I live. They had recently graded the gravel road I ride on which sucked, especially since I had a bit more air than usual in my tires looking forward to a long ride home. I'll let some out before I go back on the last 10 miles or so of gravel roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.