Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 07:41 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 413 Posts
[QUOTE=beicster;20037680]
Originally Posted by eom

LD stems are a love or hate option. I happen to love them. This is the Cigne stem from Velo Orange.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...cts/cigne-stem

Dang, it's as if they were reading this thread. I'm usually against threadless stems as a rule, but that's promising.
Old 12-09-17, 04:23 PM
cycletourist69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I love all the cool bikes on here. Have a 1989 Trek 950 project im working on. Tried to post pics of it a few minutes ago but not allowed until after i have at least 10 posts on here.
Old 12-09-17, 04:25 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found the 950 on CL and its an immaculate bike. Had the original tires. Not a scuff or blemish. Even the decals at bright looking.
Old 12-09-17, 04:36 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a parts list together which included origin 8 gary ergo bars, origin 8 stem, tektro canti brakes, tektro aero levers, sugino xd crankset i had laying around (hate the old black biopace cranks), 8 speed bar end shifters, had the brooks saddle laying around. Panaracer Tour 1.75 tires.
Old 12-09-17, 04:45 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took all the parts and the bike to my LBS 3 days ago and went to pick it up today. The local or regional Trek salesman was in there taking pictures of my bike. Said he wished Trek would make a line of rugged steel framed bikes that are specific to commuting/touring.
Old 12-09-17, 04:47 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok
Old 12-09-17, 04:50 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I’ve got a Giant Rincon with gummed-up shifters, this thread is giving me ideas.
Old 12-09-17, 05:02 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by cycletourist69
Got a parts list together which included origin 8 gary ergo bars, origin 8 stem, tektro canti brakes, tektro aero levers, sugino xd crankset i had laying around (hate the old black biopace cranks), 8 speed bar end shifters, had the brooks saddle laying around. Panaracer Tour 1.75 tires.
@cycletourist69

Welcome to the Forums

Would love to see your project when you get to 10 posts
Old 12-09-17, 08:48 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I ended up ordering one of these for my conversion. I'll post pics and my impressions after it gets here. I am pretty psyched about it.

[QUOTE=beicster;20037680]
Originally Posted by eom

Old 12-09-17, 11:10 PM
degan

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 9volt
Are there any threadless riser options that don't look terrible?
No.
Old 12-10-17, 05:41 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OTS thanks for the welcome. This is a super cool website.
Old 12-10-17, 05:48 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined here recently thinking i would just look at all the cool bikes but that morphed into an intense desire to convert the Trek 950. Now i have enough spare parts to build up another. Thinking about maybe getting a steel frame hybrid bike, something near 135mm drop out spacing for a set of wheels i had built for another project that never got off the ground.
Old 12-10-17, 06:01 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow i will try and post those pictures.
Old 12-10-17, 06:02 PM
cycletourist69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone have a nice evening!
Old 12-10-17, 08:53 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
And now on to version 2.5 of the Caloi posted a bunch of pages back. I found that I couldn't live with the fork length and offset from the old red Bontrager swap-meet fork I had on, so mounted another obtained from E-bay. I do miss the red color of the Bontrager- it had a rough rasta thing going.

The bike *feels* lighter with the replacement fork (same weight as before), and the better length and offset transformed the handling. No hands? No problem! Still very curb-hoppable.

I am futzing with bar height, then plan to cut the steerer and add a V-O Cigne stem to lighten it up further.

Old 12-15-17, 11:49 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 423 Posts
A 23" framed Diamond Back Ascent followed me home a while back. The sizing is dressed left French Fit, so I'm setting it up as Franken-Randonneur. I've started collecting parts. So far I've got a set of Ebay VO Rando bars, and a Blackburn front mountain rack to hold some sort of bag/cooler.
What I need to figure out is whether to go with stem shifters or a clamp on downtube mount. Aesthetically I like the the down tube location, but the shift levers might end up being a long reach with this frame.
Tire's are another question. Panaracers seem like a reasonable choice for cheap fast fat gumwalls.
Old 12-15-17, 02:51 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
A 23" framed Diamond Back Ascent followed me home a while back. The sizing is dressed left French Fit, so I'm setting it up as Franken-Randonneur. I've started collecting parts. So far I've got a set of Ebay VO Rando bars, and a Blackburn front mountain rack to hold some sort of bag/cooler.
What I need to figure out is whether to go with stem shifters or a clamp on downtube mount. Aesthetically I like the the down tube location, but the shift levers might end up being a long reach with this frame.
Tire's are another question. Panaracers seem like a reasonable choice for cheap fast fat gumwalls.

My experience with the stem shifters has been good so far. I generally don't want to put my head down to shift in the rough going. Roadies have made us dislike "stemmies" but they are functional (and cheap). The Panaracer Pasela PT (folding) have been extremely smooth and tough on my Canadian Raleigh 23" frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC022111600.jpg (968.3 KB, 655 views)
Old 12-15-17, 03:16 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Pictures? Please.

Old 12-15-17, 04:13 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Does it have braze-ons for shifters? Oversize tubing? Putting a set of standard clamp-on shifters on an oversized downtube isn't going to work very well.

Lots of people wind up going with barends, but stem shifters are an inexpensive alternative. Thumb shifters with a steel clamp can be made to fit road bars with a longer clamp bolt. You may need to be creative with housing runs to keep the front rack area clear of clutter.
Old 12-15-17, 04:14 PM
OTS 

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
My experience with the stem shifters has been good so far. I generally don't want to put my head down to shift in the rough going. Roadies have made us dislike "stemmies" but they are functional (and cheap). The Panaracer Pasela PT (folding) have been extremely smooth and tough on my Canadian Raleigh 23" frame.
Good to know, thanks for the update.
Old 12-15-17, 06:36 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

The bike has a 31.8 mm down tube with no braze ons. I would use a clamp on adapter if I went that way.

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-17-17 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Figuring out how to post photos in a post photobucket world...
Old 12-15-17, 06:41 PM
bark_eater 

Hanging with the rest of the "winter projects"

[IMG]DSCN2842 by woodersonj, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-17-17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:38 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I have a nice mountain bike for trail riding, but it's a bit cumbersome for long-distance pavement/ gravel rides. I can "convert" my mtb to a more pave/gravel format, but the process is a PITA. I would like to have a second bike - steel, rigid fork, cantis, fast-rolling tires, singlespeed - for that purpose and I am looking at something like a State Warhawk, Surly Crosscheck, or All-City Nature Boy. Since my budget is tight, I would be looking for one of those bikes on the used market.

however, i know I could do it even cheaper by purchasing a used bike and converting it. I have my eye on a few old steel mtbs but I have to wonder: will I be satisfied with a mtb/drop bar conversion, or should i hold out until I have the extra money to buy a used CX bike? I don't want to pour a ton of my limited funds into buying conversion parts (bars, stem, brake and drivetrain bits, etc) into an old bike conversion if I am going to immediately regret it and start looking for a more modern bike for that purpose.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-17-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:54 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle

however, i know I could do it even cheaper by purchasing a used bike and converting it. I have my eye on a few old steel mtbs but I have to wonder: will I be satisfied with a mtb/drop bar conversion, or should i hold out until I have the extra money to buy a used CX bike? I don't want to pour a ton of my limited funds into buying conversion parts (bars, stem, brake and drivetrain bits, etc) into an old bike conversion if I am going to immediately regret it and start looking for a more modern bike for that purpose.
Hard to say whether you will immediately regret it. If you really want an old CX bike, then you should hold out for one. That being said, I love my conversion but I was able to do it with a bike I already had and parts I had on hand. I had a Soma Double Cross and I like the fact that my drop bar mountain bike can use fatter tires.
Old 12-17-17, 07:12 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
thanks for the feedback!

to clarify, i am fine with the labor - I build my own wheels and service suspension and all that after working in a shop for several years. I owned a Double Cross Disc for just this purpose, but sold it because I needed the money to replace the rear wheel on my mtb.

good deals on decent older bikes are hard to find where I live. everyone sells their old bikes as "vintage" to hipsters with money burning a hole in their pockets. the local thrift stores sell rusty old bikes that need $200-300 in parts to be rideable for hundreds of dollars to such suckers. I scoured the local bike co-op yesterday for a suitable 700c bike for this purpose and came up empty. however, I was only looking at 700c hybrids and didn't spend any time with 26" mountain bikes. I will have to go back and check those. I just don't want to spend the time and money on half-assing such a bike when i would be better off buying something that is purpose built. I don't see my financial situation changing any time soon, so the shoestring budget I am on now is going to stay for a bit.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-17-17 at 07:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.